Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas. Is it too early?

(46 Posts)
Passiflora1 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:51:49

I went to my local garden centre the other day…to buy plants, no less. It was full-on Christmas tat everywhere. Very little in the way of plants, unless it was Christmassy red berries. I despair, October has only just begun. I for one don't need this.

Truffle43 Thu 08-Oct-26 02:07:43

I try to ignore Xmas until December as I don’t want to see all of the Xmas displays starting in September as in some of our shops.I just want to enjoy the seasons. I will deal with Xmas as and when I am ready. Yes I do buy gifts in advance but not from most of the stuff displayed as lots of it is chocolate and stuff I don’t want.
I would be happier if it all began at the end of November,

GillyMo Thu 08-Oct-26 06:31:38

Christmas is always a little in my thoughts all year round because I knit a nativity scene for a different church every year. Sometimes I manage two. Because I knit clothing as well I have to spread the project over the year or else I wouldn't get it completed.
It does me no harm to be reminded of the Christmas story I think and even the Christmas decorations in the shops evoke that same peaceful feeling in me

HelterSkelter1 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:44:55

I may switch on my white sparkly lights spread over the dresser soon to light up the grey days and will plant up 2 window boxes for my enjoyment as they are on the 2 kichen window sills with some small rosemarys as they are dark green and a couple of red cyclamen.
I will do this for the beginning of November which can be a dark month. I ignore the christmas tat by avoiding those shops although even my nearby Waitrose has a christmas area already. Will swerve that till December. And maybe even swerve it then. October well the end of September is far too early, but I suppose the shops just compete with each other.

Christmas cards I may skip this year as it will be the first year with just my name on...but I do like getting a few so will probably send a few. Maybe.
And at the speed time is flying by it will be January before we know it. Now thats a month I really like and my window boxes and sparkly lights come into their own.

granfromafar Thu 08-Oct-26 08:26:49

I was amazed and horrified yesterday to see a house with full Christmas lights on in a nearby road. It's early October, for heaven's sake!

TwiceAsNice Thu 08-Oct-26 08:45:25

We love Christmas in our house ( I live all together with 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters ) . The house is always decorated , one GD is particularly talented at this and we do it on the first weekend in Dec. I have a downstairs bedroom and put some small things in there too.

I have already bought some things as I save all year and spread the cost, I could not afford to do all the expense in one month . I buy when I see things and buy some early as popular things can sell out. I have bought charity cards which I do every year.

We socialise with friends different days in Dec and buy some nice food and feel we have a good time. I also go to church, I attend all year round and the religious part of Christmas is important to me .

I realise it’s a difficult time for many and I am lucky to have my family but I love the season and look forward to it

wintersday Thu 08-Oct-26 11:46:56

Yes, far too early.

Boadicea Thu 08-Oct-26 11:59:05

My son and his partner and their children, my grandchildren, are the only ones who get brand new and what they ask for but within a price limit.
The rest of us have either agreed not to exchange presents or that all presents except for edibles must be second hand, from charity shops or home made.
My mother as a committed Christian is horrified at the commercialisation of Christmas and always says being with family is the most important thing.
I have never allowed myself to get into debt over Christmas. When I was a struggling single parent I would put money and goods aside before Christmas rather than buy on credit and pay for it afterwards.
My son, as an adult, has said he never felt he missed out at Christmas.

Kikibee Thu 08-Oct-26 13:54:22

If you have not booked your Christmas Shopping slot now you are in trouble!! I reluctantly did my M&S Xmas order this week and some items were already “sold out” how on earth does that happen when the pick up dates are in December! I vow every year not to get caught up in this hype, however here I am again…

Basgetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:02:26

Disagree with most. Need something to look forward to.

Geordiegirl1 Thu 08-Oct-26 14:17:28

Christmas on alternate years please.

pen50 Thu 08-Oct-26 14:32:51

I've started planning - but I have a big family, somewhere between 12 and 16 coming on Christmas Day (which chez nous is always completely OTT) and if I didn't start now it wouldn't happen. We keep gluten free at home too and that means most stuff is cooked from scratch as the ready made GF stuff is almost all completely dreadful.

So far I have bought a few decorations, made some pickles, started some crochet projects, made several lists... Presents are relatively easy, my children prefer cash and for the rest it's token gifts, nothing extravagant.

Thankfully I have zero interest in Halloween so in theory nothing to sidetrack me.

Christmas is favourite season of the year and I love having one day of the year to totally blow out (we live reasonably restrained lives the rest of the time).

WelshPoppy Thu 08-Oct-26 15:13:15

No. I bought my first Christmas related item in June and have bought bits and bobs ever since. It spreads the cost which helps prevent a sudden attack on the bank balance.

Olivebranch Thu 08-Oct-26 15:17:05

Christmas on our own for the first time in years. So different— but very relaxed and we can be rather selfish and do just what we want.

Purplepixie Thu 08-Oct-26 15:24:42

The Range has had Christmas stuff in since the end of august. Toooooooooo soon!!!

Purplepixie Thu 08-Oct-26 16:02:57

WelshPoppy

No. I bought my first Christmas related item in June and have bought bits and bobs ever since. It spreads the cost which helps prevent a sudden attack on the bank balance.

That’s ok buying things throughout the year but the shops having Christmas stuff in by September is too soon.

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Oct-26 16:49:15

Kikibee

If you have not booked your Christmas Shopping slot now you are in trouble!! I reluctantly did my M&S Xmas order this week and some items were already “sold out” how on earth does that happen when the pick up dates are in December! I vow every year not to get caught up in this hype, however here I am again…

Not necessarily, Tesco open their bookings on th 3rd November, depends where you will be shopping.

AuntieE Thu 08-Oct-26 18:04:01

In the days when I had my elderly parents coming to stay for Christmas and other family members invited either on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or one or other of the days beween the Boxing Day and New Year's Eve, I started planning Christmas in September, buy the first presents, and anything needed that would keep.

Now, sadly I have very few relatives left, so I do not need to plan so much or so early.

Nanny27 Thu 08-Oct-26 19:34:18

I look forward to Christmas once I know what I will be doing, whether family will be coming here or one of them is hosting. We live at opposite ends of the country so the Christmas stay is always over several days.
This year we are all invited to DS so we will be 7 for 24th and 25th and 15 for Boxing Day. It will be lovely to not have all the responsibility for once.

Mojack26 Thu 08-Oct-26 19:34:33

In a word YES!!!

monami Fri 09-Oct-26 09:19:11

Christmas now comes before Halloween and bonfire night, soon it will be before shrove Tuesday, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣