Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 5th October 2026

(61 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 05-Oct-26 04:57:45

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley at the moment.
Plans for the day, the usual routine bus trip to Bicester , hopefully chat to people I know, do a shop.
Return for lunch, and watch TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Mon 05-Oct-26 07:52:51

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Good news re Stilllearning!. Thanks Baubles.

A fabulous full day with the house alive with family for probably the last time. Masses of food, fizz and chat.
DGD had baked 3 cakes!

We walked along to my new house in a posse and they all approved but suggested ways to improve it - especially the garden.

I'd better get up and read posts later.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Gingster Mon 05-Oct-26 07:58:59

Good morning and I’m up and ready for the builders.
We’ve already had one delivery of things for the new roof., at 7 o’clock.

Yesterday was another busy one with ds1 here on and off , loading car and tip run, clearing out conservatory and taking down if blinds. We have a large lounge so everything is piled up in here .
We ve decided that the carpet will need to be dumped and a new one ordered. Might as well do it now whilst the room is empty.

Today I’ll have to go back to the pharmacy and hope that my other eye drops are there. Only one lot given on Saturday 😡. A young assistant who probably didn’t realise one lot is kept in the fridge.

Then up to the Bank to transfer money for the roof, I’ll pop into the Post Office and ask if they’ll renew my passport. Apparently they can do it all there .who knew. No good for Dh as he can’t get there so we’ll have to do his in line 😖.

I’m meant to be picked up by my friend at lunchtime to go to the U3A meeting and pay for a trip, but I’ll have to cancel as too much going on here and I can’t leave Dh too long.

Bellasnanna you make me sad when you say you’re unwell and lonely. Count your blessings , I know it’s easily said. 💐.
Hope your day goes better Madeleine
Trouble free journey 🤞 Ash

I also love to hear about all your daily doings, some short, some long. It’s a lovely start to the day.
Take care all my virtual friends. 🌻

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:04:00

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s dry but showers are forecast. 19°C though so still nice and mild especially when the sun breaks through.

Last night I was upset to receive a late evening call from one of my LWW friends in Málaga to let me know that our other resident LWW friend’s husband had died yesterday afternoon. It was such a shock to everyone. He was 81 and had been in hospital less than a week for ‘tests’. The family were waiting for results. Turned out it was cancer.

My poor friend. She was my immediate thought on waking. I had written out a jokey birthday card yesterday with a small gift in the envelope ready to post to Spain this morning but that seems inappropriate now - or does it? I’m thinking I ought to buy and send a sympathy card today instead. Or send both?? Honestly I’m so indecisive. Both options seem wrong on some level.

I’m meeting friends for coffee later. I’ll ask for their advice. I’d hate to do the wrong thing.

Liberty Mon 05-Oct-26 08:04:18

Good morning from a dull looking Suffolk where I hope the sun will appear shortly to dry the load of washing soon to finish in the machine.

I realised yesterday as I put a load on the line near the pond that there was no sign of the family of moorhens who have been living in their nest on its edge for at least 3 generations.

I hope they have found water nearby as the large bowl I put out for them seems to have been ignored.

We are off to the mobile phone shop in Tesco in a nearby town and DH will come to ‘advise’ me on which new one he thinks I will like. Coffee and cake in the Costa there is his reward!

I hope today is a good one for all especially those suffering from aches and pains.

harrigran Mon 05-Oct-26 08:05:25

Good morning from sunny NE where a high of 19° is expected today.
I will be having my flu and covid vaccination at lunchtime. Nothing else on the calendar today.
Have a good day everyone.

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-26 08:07:41

Good morning all from a wet Glasgow, where it is 12°C.

Was the gentleman, being facetious, perhaps GM, because you were working so hard? If not, you should have challenged his rudeness. I thought you were in charge of the kitchen.
At least you had a dishwasher. At our last function, we had 180 people, with food and a bar and we had to go back the next, despite having plenty of helpers.

Baubles, I hope all goes well today.

I am so pleased Stilllearning is home. I spent five days in the QEUH a few years ago, for exactly the same reason. One of my heart drugs was slowing down my heart, after years of no problems. It took days to work out what was wrong.
I think something like that is happening again.
Hoping you feel better soon, Silllearning 💐

Belĺa♥️

I wasn't long back from church, when I heard the dulcit tones of the fishwife aka Babydoll, calling for me from outside the house.
She was in top form and delighted us with her antics, She has such a zest for life.♥️

Today, I won't be doing much, apart from sorting out the money for the counters and tidying up the church.
I don't feel all that well, a rest in the conservatory is the plan.
Safe journey Ash and ODD.

My tablet has frozen and I can't preview, so please forgive any typos.
Have a pleasant day.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:17:21

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Nothing much on today except hopefully the gardener coming.
I may have to take DH to the optician Ashe had a bad eye yesterday.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:17:49

Excellent news to hear that Stilllearning is home from hospital now and that importantly, the reason for her illness has now been ascertained. Upwards and onwards now Stilllearning. Rest up. We all hope to see you posting again when you’re ready.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Oct-26 08:19:59

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Commiserations to all of you suffering with dental adventures and others with various problems.

Our cleaner should be here this morning. I’ll do a Waitrose trip at some point.

I have a new online V&A course starting today. It is on the Georgians - my favourite era after the Victorians.

Have a good day everyone.

glammagran Mon 05-Oct-26 08:24:49

Good morning from Wiltshire.

Had a great weekend after weeks of very little going on except illness.

We met DS at Barrs reclaimation yard in Hungerford where we had lunch in the busy café there though it was warm enough to sit outside. DGS1 was at a swimming competition in Sheffield, representing his county and taking part in a relay so came on his own with his dog. So lovely to see him. He said his son at 15 has overtaken him in height so he will certainly make six feet when he stops growing. DGD2 was at her drama group in Newbury. Lovely to see DS he is such good company.

We then drove onto Reading and stayed over with DD1 and her DH. We didn’t see DGD1 either as she’s back at Uni. DD1 made me a delicious coffee and walnut cake for my birthday last week. We went to the fab Jndian in Twyford. Theresa May and her husband sometimes go there. We left about midday to drive home.

School pickup later today for DGD3 and DGS2.

I’m pleased to read StillEarning has been discharged from hospital and is now back home and being looked after. Good luck with the tooth extraction Baubles.

Have a good day everyone.

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Oct-26 08:25:19

Morning from a dull S Hants. Thanks baubles for the news, good to hear, best of luck today, it’ll be fine.
Usual Monday voluntary phone, hope it’s not as busy as last week, 13 calls.
Safe onward journey Ashcombe.
Have a decent day all.
🦩🦩

monk08 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:26:05

Good morning all from the Black country, late on parade this morning after yesterday's early start I think my body wanted the extra hour in bed.
Well another clear out and a bagful for the charity shop was had yesterday.
Nothing planned for today will go with the flow.
Baubles thanks for the update on Stillearning, hope all goes well at the dentist.
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans, and safe travels those on the move virtual hugs where needed.

karmalady Mon 05-Oct-26 08:38:32

Baubles remember to rest properly, for days not just a few hours. Day 2 you might feel very tired and just go with the flow.

I only got back into gentle activity at 10 days, yes I know the bottom jaw bone is more dense but your immune system has a good deal of work to do and is a huge and important system

Grammaretto Mon 05-Oct-26 08:54:03

I meant to wish Baubles well with the tooth extraction today.

I have my new implant at last and am really pleased with it. now to save up for some more 😅

GillyMo Mon 05-Oct-26 08:54:28

Good morning from a mild Herefordshire. As it is going to be warm again today I am going to take a walk around town after Pilates. I'll mooch around the charity shop then go for a coffee at an independent.
grandMattie I feel very cross that that man said that to you about slacking. It's a strange thing but I do believe that karma bites these people eventually.
Happy Monday all.

Gagagran Mon 05-Oct-26 08:59:46

Good Morning everyone from a misty central south coast. Bon Voyage Ash and Olddudders- hope you have a calm crossing. It is misty here but should clear later. I am feeling chilly but DH is till in shorts and short sleeves so I have layered up before we have to put the CH on!

Yesterday I had lovely chats with both DS and DD and had to demonstrate the stair lift in operation to DD, on my phone. She is happier that I will be safer instead of struggling on the stairs. DS is looking forward to the removal of the surgical boot for his now healed Achilles Tendon tear and starts rehab on Wednesday.

We had a problem with the small under-counter fridge yesterday when it was icing up despite being a self-defroster. I realised that it was turned up to 4 on the dial, probably during the heatwaves. so we turned it off and left the door open and mopped up the resulting water, dried it and set it at 1 on the dial. It seems ok this morning and is only used to store drinks so no great problem with spoilables.

Another busy calendar for this week but looking forward to our eldest DGD visiting on Sunday and we are going across the road for lunch at our charming bistro. She is so busy with her year 3 class, her choir and several other activities that fitting us in for a visit is an honour!

I too enjoy all the posts about the various doings. It feels like a little peep into other lives - a bit like "Mrs Dale's Diary" on the radio when I was a child. Mum had it on the radio every
day. Remember "I'm worried about Jim". Maybe not many will recall it but I still do!

Take care all and hope for a better day for those in need of one.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:07:56

Yes I remember Mum listening to Mrs Dale's Diary. It must have been later in the afternoon when I got home from school. She was often ironing in the kitchen. Mum not Mrs Dale.she did worry a lot about Jim. Was he a doctor? I feel a Google search coming on

We weren't Archers fans.

Susan56 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:10:31

Good morning from Shropshire.A bright start although cooler.

I haven’t had time to read your posts as was late waking up after a busy weekend.Collecting DGS1 from school in Staffordshire later.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading and contributing to this thread.When I was recovering from illness last year it was a great comfort and support to me.

Wishing everyone the best day ahead.Safe travels all on the move and hope all appointments go well.🦩🌻

madeleine45 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:11:27

Ah the memory of Mrs Dales Diary. I find that certain memories are not just in thoughts or words but a sense of smell too and the feelings of warmth and safety. For me the Diary would be on and I think of it in the winter time, with a coal fire and the smell of ironing and clothes with that lovely smell of having dried out on the line, That also sometimes led onto the pleasure of my sister and I with toasting forks holding pikelets near the fire, and changing sides when one leg or had was too hot near the fire, then once rationing was over having lots of butter on them, and looking into the fire as it was dying down a bit and seeing castles and boats and all sorts of things that our imaginations saw in the flames. Somehow it was even better when there was a wild wind and rain beating on the windows, and we felt safe and warm and glad to be inside. Then the sweet smell of lavendar as my mother would put things into drawers where she had put little bags of lavendar to keep the moths away and make the clothes smell lovely. Still much prefer that to any aerosol spray things.

hollysteers Mon 05-Oct-26 09:12:26

Good morning from a dullish north-west coast. DD left for the south yesterday after being here for six days which was lovely. She has been a busy bee one way and another.

I then practised my songs and throat a bit rough after my cold, but coming on and did some drawing. Today I go to hear an old friend give a lunchtime recital which includes coffee and cake.

My late DH would have been 92 yesterday, so that was rather poignant. I have a nice sketch I did of him in his late thirties and should frame it.
Thoughts to baubles stillearning bella and all🌺

BlueSapphire Mon 05-Oct-26 09:20:56

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞Northampton, another fine day forecast.

Did not do a lot yesterday, but DS and DGD2 came and helped me with a couple of jobs.
I also washed the towels but by the time the wash cycle had finished it was too late to put them out, but will do that shortly this morning.

A bit of pottering this morning and then this afternoon an engineer is coming to service my alarm system so had better make sure all is tidy, including removing all the coats and jackets from the hall cupboard so he can access the main control panel.

Sausage tray bake for dinner tonight, with onions apples and new potatoes. Shall make double quantity to have enough left over for another dinner tomorrow.

Wishing all a pleasant Monday. Shall have a shower and then read today's posts.

Gelisa Mon 05-Oct-26 09:22:13

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where the temperature has risen considerably since yesterday’s low of 5 degrees. I’ve just woken up to find DH and CDog up and about and a cool cup of tea on my bedside cabinet. I was actually awake for much of the night but must have finally dropped off about 5am. I’ll catch up later with the thread.
Yesterday’s trip to Manchester taking DS2 home was one of the best motorway runs I’ve had for some time. I wonder if the price of fuel is keeping people off the roads. They are certainly slowing down making the driving less stressful although one idiotic driver almost took me with him as he pulled in front of me as he approached his turn off. I reached to blast my horn at him but didn’t hit the right spot. Perhaps as well!
Flu jab this afternoon but first it’s off to the woods with CDog and some gardening. There is gravel to move.
Take care🌸

poppysmum Mon 05-Oct-26 09:28:09

another sunny day in Bromyard which is lovely to see. as usual nothing much for me but quick wipe round the kitchen load dishwasher washer etc just usual. have to have a good hoover my dog is shedding like crazy. i did give him a rake through with that special tool but despite having a big pile of fur, i wish i had photographed it now! there are still clumps of fur everywhere! i reckoned i had enough to make another chihuahua! that aside few emails to do just let my body as usual dictate what i can do.
good luck to all those who have medical things today and healing gentle hugs to anyone recovering.
sending peace and love to you all everywhere

Aldom Mon 05-Oct-26 09:32:08

Bellasnanna I hope you feel better soon. You're usually such a cheerful, positive person, I'm sorry you are feeling lonely and unwell.
Thinking of you. flowers

grandMattie Mon 05-Oct-26 09:32:08

I remember “I’m worried about Jim” nu5 for quite different to you all.
I was born and brought up in a small Indian Ocean island, had no contact with the BBC or tv. My mother would use that impenetrable phrase (together with “Muchbinding-in -the-Marsh) to her uncomprehending children. It was decades before I understood what she meant!