Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 5th October 2026

(61 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 05-Oct-26 04:57:45

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley at the moment.
Plans for the day, the usual routine bus trip to Bicester , hopefully chat to people I know, do a shop.
Return for lunch, and watch TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Mon 05-Oct-26 09:34:36

PS. Mum had trained as a teacher in England during the War and didn’t go home until 1947

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:53:53

Rest assured kitty that no one will have thought you were being critical of some of the more lengthy posts on here nowadays. Things evolve. Nothing stays the same and you were just being observational.

I for one can rarely seem to master being ‘succinct’ in the written word nor in conversation! 😉

RosesandLilac Mon 05-Oct-26 09:58:30

Gosh. Mrs. Dale’s Diary, that brings back memories of mum ironing in the kitchen while listening to it. Do you remember Three way Family Favourites on a Sunday? I think it was on at midday, I can recall the signature tune even now. And watching Peyton Place on tv?
So many old memories popping up😍

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 10:08:02

BlueSapphire I’m going to copy you and make that sausage tray bake to take with me to my neighbour’s apartment along the decking on Saturday. Thank you! Nice suggestion.

Our ‘new thing’ is to sit with wine & food at hers and watch Strictly together!

TheWeirdoAgain60 Mon 05-Oct-26 10:10:59

Good morning, Michael12 and everyone!

Last night for dinner was a microwaveable ahhh Bisto Bangers, Mash and Peas, with cubed Cathedral City cheese, Tartar sauce and vinegar, washed down with a can of Thatchers Apple and Blackcurrant Cider!

About 10:30 pm, I'd wobbled out of bed into the kitchen to refill my cold water bottle, and there on the draining board was Enormous Edwin, exceedingly obese and not doing anything in particular, just blobbing away! Slugs make me laugh with the various shapes, sizes and lengths of them!

In the photo you'll find Rufus, my biggest soft toy doggy. He and I share a big thing: we both love bed, snuggled in with a fat duvet and hugging hot bottles!

I watched a brilliant film from 2008, The Bank Job, with Jason Statham and Saffron Burrows; it's based on the true story of the 1971 robbery of Lloyds Bank safety deposit boxes in Baker Street, London. The gang were never fully identified, and 4 million quid of stolen goods were never found!

64.media.tumblr.com/0808e32727120e4b00e1a8d023910206/210c01a14af88c86-b5/s540x810/3e52cefde3e9c10165b49ad5633d0c0f8730b602.jpg

See you all later!

WhiteSwan63 Mon 05-Oct-26 10:36:10

Good morning from the East coast it’s overcast but staying mild.

I’m going to the gym soon as my lower back is playing up significantly at the moment. I’m hoping the gym will release it. I’m doing a couple of yoga moves to strengthen it and luckily managing to stay away from meds for pain at the moment.

Yesterday afternoon was lovely with the family. We missed the DGC while we were on holiday so couldn’t wait to see them. The DGDs rushed into our arms and DGS ran straight passed us into the garden. I managed to kiss him on his head as he rushed by. He’d been counting the sleeps until we came home so we know he loves us in his own way. We all enjoyed a turkey roast dinner. That’s all the turkey used up now from last Christmas. What super value that was.

We are looking after the little ladies tonight as is usual on a Monday. The last two Mondays DSs partner looked after them and they all had a lovely time. They all baked and danced together before bedtime. She’s a joy to our family. We are lucky. She’s so tender and caring with DGS.

Wishing you all a lovely Monday. Thoughts to those struggling with stress and illness 💐🌼

Litterpicker Mon 05-Oct-26 11:28:05

Good morning Mick and all - though most of you probably think it’s afternoon by now! It’s grey and cool here in East Lothian. We start heading south back to West Sussex today. All sorts of bags sitting at the top of the stairs waiting to go to the van. We will probably stop somewhere overnight to break the journey. I have a haircut, dentist appointment and flu jab waiting for me in the next couple of weeks. It will be lovely to see DDs and GCs in the south but I always feel sad leaving Scotland and the family here (you’d think it was the other side of the world the way I’m talking 😂).

I’m glad to hear news of Stilllearning. Hope your molar extraction goes ok and heals speedily Baubles.
Glad to hear your family farewell to your home was a joyful occasion Grammaretto.
How sad about your friend’s husband FGT.
Georgesgran, I hope your worries for your DD’s health are unfounded. I have worried a lot recently about my DD who has suffered with a disabling muscle weakness for the past few years. Neurologists have not found a definite diagnosis in spite of endless tests. She also has asthma (among other things) and can have problems with her breathing and with swallowing at times.

It is always good to share in other people’s lives, the bad as well as the good. Thank you all 💐

HelterSkelter1 Mon 05-Oct-26 11:59:47

Just listened to an episode of Mrs Ds Diary from 9 January 1958. Googled it. The series finished in 1969.

Crikey. Received pronunciation abounds. Hets and begs...hats and bags. My mum must have loved it. So unlike our home life! And coincidentallyy one of the actors who played Dr Jim Dale was actually a James Dale.

The opening music was evocative.

Greyduster Mon 05-Oct-26 13:37:26

It always seemed to begin with Mrs Dale saying…. “I’m worried about Jim.”

HelterSkelter1 Mon 05-Oct-26 14:09:31

The wikipedia entry for Mrs Dales Diary is fascinating. The original actor playing Mrs D was sacked after 15 years for alcoholic problems and had been underpaid for her work.
Jessie Matthews took over the part and during absences was replaced once by Noel Dyson of Crossroads fame.
It was renamed The Dales and had new music written by Ron Grainger of Dr Who music fame. Also a new writer was Ted Willis a writer of Dixon of Dock Green.

So interesting. The Queen Mother was a fan. The afternoon programme was at 4.15 when I was home from school eating a cake and cup,of tea with Mum before my elder sister came home. Lovely memory.
Whst do 9 year old do with their mums after school these days I wonder? Busy on their phones....or at work.