Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 9°C
Firstly, I have only just read yesterday’s posts and am so sorry to hear about your house sale. It happened to us and it was the most stressful of times. 💐
Glammagran, Hurrah!!! Your grandchildren must have been delighted to see you.
Gelisa, a worrying time for you both.💐
Yesterday was not a very good day in one way, but positive in another.
My heart and COPD review at the surgery took an hour! My BP was at 173/88 😱 It is higher than DH’s.
My heart needs checked out and I need a referral back to the respiratory consultant. I got a gentle telling off for not seeking help, since I was so unwell. I had sought help, but I kept getting fobbed off.
The practice nurse was so thorough.
The positive outcome is that I have been given a GP appointment with a GP of my choice. Quelle surprise! I had gone into the appointment with low expectations.
I was gently told off for not asking for help sooner. I explained I had tried, but kept getting fobbed off.
I got home and slept for hours; I was so exhausted and felt really dizzy.
Back to Thursday’s adventure, which is basically a rambling account, by a confused old biddy.
Feel free to scroll on by. 😉
After our, not so nice, pub lunch on Thursday, we had decided we would wander along to an old man’s pub which sells craft beer, then go home on a different train line to DD’s village and catch a bus from the village, which would take us very close to home. Otherwise, we would have had a long walk over the quagmire of a field from our usual station. I had been struggling with breathlessness, so the less walking the better.
Of course in MD’s world, nothing goes to plan. You may have seen the photo, I posted yesterday, well it was actually a premonition of what was to come.
We reached to the craft ale pub, only to find it was shut. At this point I was ready for giving up and going home, except…we couldn’t find the station. 😭
Like many stations in Glasgow, it was a low level station, which is why we couldn’t see it. We were actually standing on top of it.
I have never felt so relieved. I even mastered the ticket machine, because all tickets must now be bought before boarding and we were used to buying tickets on the train.
I was quite pleased, until I realised, I had bought returns, instead of singles.
We settled down to wait for the train and in the meantime, as part of the picture clue, I sent DD and SIL a photo of greenery. SIL worked it out immediately. I would recognise that Japanese knotweed anywhere, he said.
The train arrived, we jumped on, ready for the next part of our adventure. However, I began to feel uneasy about the scenery, I didn’t recognise any of it.
When the West Coast Avanti train to London passed on the lower parallel line, ( I didn’t know there was one) I became even more uneasy. The train drew into a station and stopped on the wrong side of the track. That was when I realised we were in big trouble.
I then heard the announcement, This train is for Glasgow Central: we were going back the way we had come. DH was oblivious. I huckled (a good old scots word) DH off, just before it moved off.
DH still hadn’t clocked what was happening.
I then approached a young woman and asked how we could get to DD’s village. She thought we should go to the opposite platform.
Down an underpass, we went to the other platform. By this time, I was ready to give up. Of course, it wasn’t the correct platform. If we had caught a train from that platform, we would have ended up in Lanark. 😱
Back across again, up a lift, over a bridge and down again in a lift. Back to where we started.I hadn’t realised initially, there was a lift and nearly killed myself, trying to manage the stairs.
I decided how to look up, how to get back to our original station, but there were no trains for over an hour. So, we decided to get the next train back to Glasgow Central.
All this time, I was wondering how to explain why Saga Tours participants had been allowed out unaccompanied. The ticket collector –and the whole carriage—were hysterical and ticket collector extremely witty, when I tried to explain how we had got into this mess. He looked at all the tickets, I had accumulated in my moments of panic and said, I had enough to get us to Glasgow Central and back again.
We explained, where we had tried to go to and he asked if we wanted him to give us tickets to DD’s village. I declined and asked if he could print out tickets for our home station. I thought you were going to X, he said. I said we were now going home!!!
He reminded us that we were on a low level train going to Helensburgh (where DH had his BP episode) and to remember to get off at Central.
DH’s face was picture, when he heard “Helensburgh”, a place he will never visit again.😚
What I hadn’t thought of was that, when using the lift, we were going to end up on the main concourse, but had no tickets to exit the barriers.
I found another lovely young man, played the daft old lady and explained what had happened. He couldn’t stop laughing, when I described it. He advised us to explain at the gate, what had happened. Very kindly, he looked up the time of our next train and which platform it would be on.
I tried to explain that we had travelled on trains all over Italy, without getting it wrong.
Aye right!!!
As we got to the platform, I spotted DD. She has been tracking me since I collapsed in Glasgow last year and had left work early to make sure we got the right train home. 😂
She too couldn’t stop laughing.
About an hour later, we received a video of her village station, explaining, what it looked like, so that we would get it right, the next time.
DH said there wouldn’t be a next time. I wonder why????
He had been carrying five heavy boxes of Turkish delight, two polystyrene gliders. (One for Babydoll and one for her daddy) and lamb kebabs. He kept changing hands, because it was so heavy. –I had run amok in the world food shop.--
When I got home, I found the kebab packaging was burst and the gliders and Turkish delight were covered in kebab sauce! 😭
DH doesn’t understand how it happened.🤔
I still feel quite ropey and will be having a gentle day.
Hoping Stilllearning is making progress.
Have the best day you can, folks.