Gransnet forums

Chat

Plants that make you feel happy!

(97 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:37:00

Our wisteria has just started to flower out the back . A sure sign of Spring for us. It makes me feel so happy looking out of our back door. The camellia bush is also in full flower, another pretty one though it drops the flowers everywhere all over our deck.
Which plants do you find lift your spirits ?

JamesandJon33 Fri 02-Oct-26 11:43:04

We have a choisya which is flowering for the second time this year. The smell is delightful

nanna8 Fri 02-Oct-26 11:44:30

I love the garden, thanks Cossy and Patsyand Oreo . It is hardwork as I get older with weeds that pop up overnight ( oxalis and dandelions go crazy) We have a constant battle with little beasties, possums ,funny things that look like big rats so I can’t grow edible veg except onions and chives and oregano which they don’t like.

Cabowich Fri 02-Oct-26 12:20:38

I love big, bright, and colourful dahlias at this time of year. Also adore auriculas. But most I love for their smell - sweet peas, a rose called "Sceptered Isle" and daphne in winter.

A wisteria like yours nanna8 would be wonderful, too, but don't they take years to grow and flower?

J52 Fri 02-Oct-26 12:29:21

Commonground

I love the ivy leafed toadflax, Mexican fleabane, dog violets and oxalis that are finally self seeding and softening the hard landscaping.

I also love these and any self sowers. This year tobacco plants and Coreopsis have self sown really healthy plants in the paving cracks.
Easier for me to list plants I don’t like.

watermeadow Fri 02-Oct-26 12:41:02

I lost most of my sense of smell many years ago and can’t smell flowers unless they’re extremely strong. The favourites I miss most are roses, lily of the valley, freesias, apple blossom.

Ziplok Fri 02-Oct-26 12:51:40

I find it difficult to choose one favourite flower, I love so very many. I do have a love of a deeply scented rose, however, if I had to choose just one.

Ziplok Fri 02-Oct-26 12:54:39

shysal

My favourite is Spider's Web Fatsia Japonica, followed closely by Agapanthus although mine don't flower as profusely as yours petra.

Is your Fatsia growing happily in a pot there shysal? I would like one for flower arranging purposes, but they tend to grow large in the ground and my garden is small. If they are happy in pots, I’ll look into getting one.

Jaxjacky Fri 02-Oct-26 13:06:48

Today it’s the buddlea and verbena keeping the bees busy, my summer favourite is sunflowers, they make me smile.

Luckygirl3 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:15:18

This is my jasminoides that has been flowering for a month or so and will keep flowering now into January/February. It gets bigger and bigger, but I dare not prune it lest I lose flowers next year.

Llamedos13 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:28:52

Zinnias of every colour adorn my garden just now.They are getting past their best but still blooming.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:35:48

Every season brings my favourite flower😊. So I start off in January with snowdrops -right through to December - I go out into the garden and gaze at what it has to offer - loving it all.

I’m in the middle of (yet another) replant. This time introducing drought tolerant plants. So they will be my fabourite next year😄

HobbyCat Fri 02-Oct-26 13:40:07

I’m guessing this thread isn’t about the UK…

Luckygirl3 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:46:20

I'm in the UK!

petra Fri 02-Oct-26 13:48:40

HobbyCat

I’m guessing this thread isn’t about the UK…

I think you’ll find most of us here are in the uk.
Why did assume we weren’t.

TheHappyGardener Fri 02-Oct-26 13:52:42

I’m in the U.K. and, like others, I’d be hard-pressed to name just one plant that makes me happy, but, by season I would say snowdrops in spring, my roses in summer (particularly Desdemona and Eustacia Vye - both David Austin) and currently as we enter Autumn it’s Eleagnus Ebbingei - I have one by my back door and am greeted each day by its gorgeous perfume!

shysal Fri 02-Oct-26 14:08:27

Ziplok, I have two Spider's webs, both in pots. The one in a shady spot has grown huge within a year, but the other in a smaller pot and in a sunny spot near the house has stayed fairly small over several years. I did have a third one further up the garden, but it got eaten right down to a bare stalk by muntjac sad.

Clematis46 Fri 02-Oct-26 14:18:43

I too love wisteria - apart from its eagerness to take over the world. For me hellebores are magical, especially when surrounded by snowdrops. Such a variety of colours and shapes at the darkest time of the year.

DrWatson Fri 02-Oct-26 14:19:13

For Greyduster, according to a quick search, Webbs and Dobies should stock that Heuchera - other gardening centres might of course!

B&Q will get it sent free of P&P, they say.

Shel1951 Fri 02-Oct-26 14:24:20

Im in s.w Ireland, my plants would be the same as in the southwest of England I think, certainly the same varieties, I lived in the uk and the garden centres had the same plants

Shel1951 Fri 02-Oct-26 14:26:53

Nanna8 your garden is lovely, the wisteria is beautiful, its the one thing I hated leaving in my old house,it takes so long before flowering,at my age I look for quick results,,,,,,

mokryna Fri 02-Oct-26 14:35:49

Any plant that is alive on my south facing balcony near Paris.

It was hot enough to melt a thick candle, 40+ this summer, that I had left out in the fresh air. My kind nieghbour watered the plants in the shade but the heat was too much. …. Will they survive a winter when water can freeze …

Casdon Fri 02-Oct-26 15:00:15

I like plants that move and shimmer in the wind, so acers, eucalyptus and silver birch are my favourite trees. I love cosmos, narcissi, snowdrops - and pompom dahlias, although they are unlike any of my other choices, I think they are fascinating.

missdeke Fri 02-Oct-26 15:02:02

Generally, it's unadulterated flowers, that bring me joy. Daffs that a yellow with a normal sized trumpet and petals for instance. Basically how they evolved in nature not bred.

grandMattie Fri 02-Oct-26 15:03:23

When we first got married, we moved houses lot. Living in Jersey, husbands whinged with each other that their wives were after (VAT-free) jewellery and cashmere jumpers. Dh said, “with my wife it’s simple. She would like to live somewhere long enough to see her wisteria flower”!
I live most flowers - easier to ring those I don’t like much…. Chrysanthemums, very scented lilies, cacti, not many tbh!
I’m very fond of english bluebells which flower around my birthday

cookiemonster66 Fri 02-Oct-26 15:10:32

I’m a massive fan of the movie Little Shop of Horrors so was beyond excited when my hubby found me a little Audrey in a shop in Glastonbury last weekend 💜😈💜 “Feed me!” 💜😈💜