Gransnet forums

Chat

Plants that make you feel happy!

(96 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:37:00

Our wisteria has just started to flower out the back . A sure sign of Spring for us. It makes me feel so happy looking out of our back door. The camellia bush is also in full flower, another pretty one though it drops the flowers everywhere all over our deck.
Which plants do you find lift your spirits ?

Shel1951 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:42:19

I love lilies and roses,buddliea bushes and hydrangea

yanda Fri 02-Oct-26 07:50:43

I love the dwarf daffodils, primroses and forget me nots in Spring. Sweet peas, buddleia and clematis in Summer.

tanith Fri 02-Oct-26 08:26:10

I love a rose called Zephrin Dreuin (sp) my sister died when I was in my teens and she had one by her front door and I planted one in my garden to remember her I’ve recently planted one in my new home. The smell is divine. I also love sweet peas and freesias.

Oreo Fri 02-Oct-26 08:29:59

I love that rose too tanith my Dad planted one years ago, lovely pink colour and no thorns whatsoever!

Oreo Fri 02-Oct-26 08:31:59

Tbh I love all the plants mentioned 🤭 how many can we have?
I also love Lavender and sunflowers.
nanna8 wow! Your garden, I have serious envy.

Cossy Fri 02-Oct-26 08:42:21

All healthy plants and trees bring me joy

petra Fri 02-Oct-26 08:58:55

Like most of us Gardners I love them all.
But if I was told I could only have one it would have to be my beauties Agapanthus.

25Avalon Fri 02-Oct-26 08:58:58

Has to be my paeonies - all different colours and beautiful perfume. Then violets, narcissi, bluebells in my little wood, penstemon and alstroemeria that flower their hearts out — I could go on and on.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:01:24

Daffodils.

nanna8 Fri 02-Oct-26 09:03:43

I have bluebells,too but they don’t last long, sadly. They spread every year,though. They are flowering right now and violets ( not sure where they came from, they just appeared from nowhere - birds ? ) I love peonies but they won’t grow for me, they are lovely.

Esmay Fri 02-Oct-26 09:03:52

Camellias make an increase show in my garden.
And the Japonicas are pleasing too .

Commonground Fri 02-Oct-26 09:44:19

I love the ivy leafed toadflax, Mexican fleabane, dog violets and oxalis that are finally self seeding and softening the hard landscaping.

Graphite Fri 02-Oct-26 09:45:22

Cossy

All healthy plants and trees bring me joy

I agree. The older I get the more I enjoy the less cultivated garden.

What people often regard as weeds make me happy as they are tenacious plants, happily growing where they want to grow.

I’ve been doing No Mow May now for a few years now. I love the dandelions and yarrow that provide vital spring food for insects. The tiny single viola growing in the lawn, the seed put there by a bird no doubt, gives me great pleasure.

My favourite plant is the very simple Alchemilla mollis, especially after rain when the leaves form little pools for small birds to drink from.

Fallingstar Fri 02-Oct-26 09:50:13

For me is always daffodils. So cheerful after the winter months.

Fallingstar Fri 02-Oct-26 09:50:43

Also poppies.

shysal Fri 02-Oct-26 09:51:42

My favourite is Spider's Web Fatsia Japonica, followed closely by Agapanthus although mine don't flower as profusely as yours petra.

Patsy70 Fri 02-Oct-26 09:53:57

You have a beautiful garden Nanna8, and the Wisteria is stunning. I love my roses. I have chosen some with the names of my children and granddaughters - Paul’s Himalayan Musk, New Dawn, Rosa Meg and Matilda.. they all have a wonderful scent. I also have a Zephirine Drouhin, beautifully scented with no thorns, recommended by Monty Don years ago.
Enjoy the Spring in Australia. (My niece who lives near Brisbane, is visiting my sister in Spain, so I’ll be seeing her next week.) 😊

TheWeirdoAgain60 Fri 02-Oct-26 09:55:05

Cacti!

I have several around my flat, one of which I bought from Poundland in 2015 as a tiny baby in a little pot; then, over the years, I've had to put it into a big pot as the one tiny baby has turned into 3 very tall ones!

I'll get a photo later and will post it here tomorrow!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 02-Oct-26 10:04:19

I love euphorbias, hostas, heucheras and a big old heart shaped ivy, all the greenies!

Greyduster Fri 02-Oct-26 10:27:45

Heucheras for me, closely followed by hostas. I have a collection of both, but sadly lost one beloved heuchera, Midnight Rose, this year and can’t find another in any garden centre. I may have to get it online, which I don’t like doing.
And any or all rockery plants - I adore rock gardens.

Greyduster Fri 02-Oct-26 10:30:26

Graphite Alchemilla Mollis is DD’s favourite plant and I gree they look very lovely after a rain shower.

Cossy Fri 02-Oct-26 10:33:20

Patsy70

You have a beautiful garden Nanna8, and the Wisteria is stunning. I love my roses. I have chosen some with the names of my children and granddaughters - Paul’s Himalayan Musk, New Dawn, Rosa Meg and Matilda.. they all have a wonderful scent. I also have a Zephirine Drouhin, beautifully scented with no thorns, recommended by Monty Don years ago.
Enjoy the Spring in Australia. (My niece who lives near Brisbane, is visiting my sister in Spain, so I’ll be seeing her next week.) 😊

It truly is a lovely garden thanks

fiorentina51 Fri 02-Oct-26 10:57:16

This brought a real blast of colour to my parched garden this year.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 02-Oct-26 11:03:10

Geraniums are cheerful and I love the smell of their furry leaves. Freesias remind me of my mum. Yellow scented roses of my wedding bouquet and bougainvillea of my little place in Spain.