Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 1st October 2026

(42 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 01-Oct-26 04:47:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its also dry outside here in Brackley today .
Today I will get a earlier bus to Bicester ,and then go and have a coffee and a snack , maybe a early beer in Spoons , followed by a shop ,and maybe chat to people I know.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Thu 01-Oct-26 05:16:45

While rabbits 🐇🐇🐇
Good morning from a dry Bristol. It did rain a bit in the morning; good wetting rain but only for about 30 minutes, then it was sunny and very windy.
It was a very unexpected day. Instead of morning prayers, we had a meeting with AgeUK managers regarding out FAB cafe and the live concerts.
Then, as we see up for the cafe, I realised that one lady, who’d come for prayers, was particularly lonely and new round here. As the other church hostesses is lovely but not always available, I decided to get her to join us. She seemed very keen in a restrained way and happy to learn the ropes…
Meanwhile, our new “centenary” altar had arrived; Rey disappointing though beautiful. It is small and feels cramped for the space available. The vicar and another person were fiddling with the overlarge altar cloth, deciding how and how much to remove to get it how he wanted it. Interfering as usual, I saw that it was a very simple 30 minute job and said I’d do it. Religion their faces!
FAB cafe filled very early; we ended up being 26. It’s getting almost too big..

Rushed home for lunch - taking the altar cloth with me. It really was a very simple job just removing a redundant pice, then cutting the cloth an£creplacing the lace back onto the cut edge - done before lunch!
Then the Teflon meeting. I had decided not to stay if the same complaints and banging on about the past went on and on…. We had one good-ish piece of news! A permanent non-resident manager has been appointed, starting in November. We have had no manager since July 2025, only either the occasional stand-in, or a part-time agency manager since then. Not satisfactory.
The other thing, which was inevitable, is that the sale of the ex-manager’s house (not flat) is tone tarted up at Anchor’s expense not the residents’. Phew! Fewer than half the residents attended, one wonders why not, when their funds and future her is being decided, or at least, discussed.
When the old, impossible to continue, topics were being banged on,I made my excuses and left.
Once home, I took the finished altar cloth and put it on the new table. Perfect fit! On the way back, I stopped at the little garden centre and spent a fortune one plants for my pots -including some tete-a-tete daffodil bulbs. Planting out is for today.
Today? I must wrap Iris’ birthday present and make her a card, do the planting, get my new Spanish homework on the way, t’ai chi class, and finally get to DD’s for dinner….
Trust that the sickbay is empty and that everyone is contented. Carpe die, dear friends 🦩🦩🦩❤️

madeleine45 Thu 01-Oct-26 05:44:36

White rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits! Good morning Michael and all GN's on a very dark and still north yorkshire morning. Actually I need those white rabbits good luck myself. Another rubbish night and added to the usual aches and pains, my skin has been driving me mad. By taking care I managed to more or less get rid of the excema that began after I was diagnosed with diabetes. However this is my body now saying to me, lack of sleep and all the hassle lately is too much and if you dont manage to improve then you will have to deal with this again. So a definite warning, but it is so difficult, The itching drives me mad, and I end up just having to scratch it, although I know that it will only ease it for a very little while and hurt too!

Anyway to look on the bright side, I have had my shower, and got the bedding in and washing. Dont think I shall have to compete for the washing lines today!! So just having said about taking things easy, I am planning to do two things this morning, but nothing strenuous. This day of the older person is having a variety of people and stalls etc at the library this morning from 10 until 1. I plan to be there on the dot of 10, on the buggy of course,to raise the point of access again! I am going to check if there is anything I dont know about already, and collect any information that I think will be of use to the womens group, and then leave and go across to the womens group , hopefully in time for the yoga session. She is a very good leader of yoga, clear in telling you what to do, a very pleasant voice and all helps you to relax and become calm and still, so although I am doing two things as you can see ,they are not going to need huge amounts of energy and hope I shall return in a calmer manner and that it will nudge me into getting back to doing a little yoga every day. This afternoon the cleaners should be here, fingers crossed, and so by this evening I hope to be sitting in a clean and tidy(ish) home. This morning before I go out, I plan to peel and cook some apples that have been waiting for my attention, and I have a box of custard that I won at the whist some time ago. I also have good sausages and some softer tomatoes, which I hate eating in a salad like that, but can put them in a microwave dish, and then will have them with grilled sausages and some lovely fresh bread and butter, so that is going to be a very simple and easy meal sorted for this evening.

Yesterday I had intended to go down to the market on the yellow peril, but got distracted by a couple of phone calls and then sorting something else out, and still full of aches and pains, I decided to give the market a miss and to go in the car to strikes garden centre. I needed to organise a new loyalty card as my one has disappeared, very annoyingly. The weather here ignored what the forecast had foretold and was lovely and warm and sunny. Unfortunately that had definitely brought the crowds out and I drove round and round but no luck with a disabled parking space and in the end had to squeeze into the normal ones a - and it definitely was a squeeze - that also meant that I had farther to walk too, and I was lucky to find one of the little trolleys available, so that I was able to put my bags and my cardigan in that and use it more like a walking frame , allowing me to lean on the handles etc. The place was heaving and most of the tables full in the cafe, so I grabbed a reserved sign and went off to find myself somewhere to sit first, and check the table number. I then had to go to the checkout , which at that time was quite quiet fortunately and go through the rigmarole of getting a new card, but that meant that I had to just pay and get a receipt stamped that day as it takes a couple of days to sort out, but they will transfer my points over from the lost card etc.

By the time I got sat down it was nearly noon, and so I did indulge myself and have a roast beef flatbread, and coffee of course. It was very fresh and good and tasty, but definitely not something to be eaten in polite society, as it was one of those things that was definitely not for dainty eaters. However it tasted very good, and I felt better for it, but rather hot as the sun was beaming directly on my table. My goodness they must have had a good day, as every table was full and the staff were having a job to keep up with clearing away pots and wiping tables with the next group of people ready and waiting to sit down.

I was even very virtuous because even though I of course, went round the plants looking at the sick bay etc I actually didnt buy a single one. The checkout lady looked amazed as I went past with my empty trolley, but no doubt I shall give in the next time I am there. A lot of traffic on the way back and the railway crossings were holding up the traffic too, but no great problem and I arrived home with the plan to do a bit in the garden, but actually was quite glad to just have a sit and read for a little while. I slowly got myself ready for whist and decided not to change my top , which was cotton but had long sleeves - a seasalt stripey one - rather regretted it when I got to whist, as my goodness it was hot in the hall.

A pleasant evening and I won 6 lovely freerange eggs , so am now stocked up ready for a boiled egg when the fancy takes me. I always get just the two raffle tickets one green and one orange, but the lady sat next to me had 4 tickets, but it wasnt her night as nearly every number called was the one before or the one after hers. Of course it makes no difference but somehow I think we feel slightly more annoyed by "just" missing a prize. I drove back quite wearily, but was in time to sit and watch Downton Abbey, which I deliberately did, so as not to start worrying about the eye situation and other things and hoped to keep calm and get some sleep. Ah well cant win them all!

So I dont know what the weather holds for us today, but if I can get my bedding out and dried on the line, I will be happy. The planned "fashion parade" of sorting out summer/winter clothes etc didnt happen so that may be something I get round to later today, but nothing on this evening at all - as far as I know - so it does look to be a quieter day altogether and hope that will help me to feel a bit better tomorrow. I think I will have to ask someone to bop me over the head if I dont get some sleep soon!

I hope you get your earlier bus ok and have a good trip with friends around to chat to today Michael. Wishing all GN's a positive start to the new month and success in whatever you are planning for the day, whether that is a meet up for coffee or a grand sort out of something.

karmalady Thu 01-Oct-26 06:32:38

Good morning from s somerset and it will be wall to wall sunshine as well as a bit cooler, lovely

My pattern-size alterations are continuing apace to accommodate my changing figure. The first complete change was the Ashton top and I made it in a thick double gauze, ready for autumn in an autumnal colour. I am beyond happy with that, perfect for next month onwards and a pattern I will use all year as it has lots of different sleeves as well as no sleeves

The light top is my hash from the cuff top pattern, I did not at all like the boat neck and added a v neck from stylearc adeline. Perfect now and it will go to the back of my wardrobe for next spring. My wardrobe is not yet ready for autumn as I have given many items away and will need some more layering pieces in new sizes

I`found` the perfect thick stretch piece from old stash, navy blue v neck jumper weight French terry and have started cutting that out this morning. Itch to stich Andorra sweater, new to me but it will fit. Meantime I have added items to my growing pile to give away

I did watch another Bramwell episode yesterday and slept well with a lot of steps added to my day. BTW I did go and buy colour catcher, flipping marvelous invention, the sheet went very pink and the thin quilted fabric went brighter after its wash

Similar again today and long may the mojo last, I am enjoying it immensely and sod the dusting

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:49:09

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where im Feeling an urge to make my post super short (joke)!

L’il Miss will be here AGAIN nothing to do with Ofsted - they’ve been - but because the childminder has a hospital appointment. So another walk up to school and back later for my sins.

I’m ove to see my stepfather on the bus this morning then I’m meeting a friend for coffee in the square at noon.

After that my day is my own. Yippee! I’ve been a bit too busy for my liking this week. I appreciate a slower pace without strict timings and events that run one after the other!

Melanie61 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:49:53

Good morning from Sheffield
Yesterday turned into a busy one but at least I slept I was so tired.
Work was very busy. I was trying to get a pasta sauce cooking in between. Then Daughter turned up with bags of washing. Her washing machine is broken. So I was trying to wash and hang out too.
Today should be quieter. I have been growing my hair for a while now and it is quite long. I feel like a change though so I am having restyle today.
Family for tea , a nice day
Take care everyone flowers

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:52:10

1st October isn’t it! 😁

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:54:21

Good morning from a dusky corner of S E Essex 🙋‍♀️

Back. Sandwiches soon for the teens, then I will drop them off at college on my way to the hairdressers.

Will pop back and read your news later

🐇🐇🐇

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-26 06:58:03

Good morning all from a brightening North Leicestershire.

I'm off to M&S to return something and collect something else, call at the egg farm and see whether Timson's can do anything about the strap on my favourite handbag.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Marzipan22 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:59:29

Good morning from a dark, still Cornwall with back-to-back sun promised today.

Yesterday our church group met at a very glassy house when a torrential rainstorm beat down on all sides, so noisy, so exciting. Earlier the sun had been pouring in. After that an unexpected invitation from a lovely friend meant that we ended up drinking coffee on a café roof garden, above surrounding rooftops, in the sun. No gulls anywhere to be seen, phew.

After an unusually sociable few days I'm looking forward to being on my own today to restore myself by sewing and library visiting, with a coffee plus my book at Wetherspoons at some point.

baubles Thu 01-Oct-26 07:02:07

Good morning from dry South Lanarkshire.

Short and sweet from me today. We will head over to DS’s house this morning and help with the children after school.

Lovely photo yesterday Marydoll, belated anniversary wishes.

May you all have a good day.

Bellasnana Thu 01-Oct-26 07:02:15

Good morning from Malta where a sunny day is forecast with a high of 28°C.

I went for my nails yesterday (autumn themed despite our still summer weather) then bit the bullet and went to renew my ID card.

It was actually pretty straightforward, didn’t have to wait and it will be delivered to my local council offices so I won’t need to go back to collect it.

My only gripe would be that the personnel are not very pleasant, barking instructions and never cracking a smile. Oh well ……

I had an awful night; got up at 3am and made tea before going back to sleep for a couple of hours.

I’m now going to watch the tennis from Tokyo as Alcaraz is playing.

I will also read your posts whilst drinking my coffee.

Belated congratulations on your anniversary Mr & Mrs Marydoll.

Get well soon Stilllearning.

Hope the day goes well for you all.☀️

brook2704 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:05:12

Good morning everyone from Inverness, it’s still dark and it looks dry outside. Yesterday was a lovely warm sunny day, about 22° in the afternoon
It’s volunteering again this morning, then I’ll be home this afternoon for a bit of a rest and feet up, it’s a busy week! DH is going to his usual Thursday morning meet up at the Men’s shed, he seems to have settled in well and is enjoying it
Hope Jax is doing ok after the dentist yesterday ❤️
Hoping everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

Georgesgran Thu 01-Oct-26 07:10:56

Good morning from Durham. Another fine, sunny, warm day forecast, up to 18c - long may it continue.
I was upset later after meeting my poorly friend yesterday. Her brave face has gone and she was inconsolable at times.
Today, my car’s in for a service, so a friend is picking me up for coffee and can take me back for my car if I get the call that it’s ready. I’m seriously considering changing it, but both my top choices have been savaged by my garage mechanics and the chap from the AA - my head tells me to heed their warnings!

Best wishes to all. X

latedecember1963 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:11:17

Good morning everyone from Lancashire.

Loving the tops, Karma, especially the 1st one.

A productive day for you too, GrandMattie. Well done for spotting the lady who you sensed was lonely. It can be hard to break into an established group, but an invitation can make all the difference.
Thank goodness you and the other residents aren't responsible for the upkeep of the Manager's house.

We had a good morning at Toddler Group. At story time the little chap sat on the floor with the other children for some of the time for the 1st time rather than on my knee.

Today I'm picking up a friend and we're going to Whalley. The plan is to find a nice cafe for lunch and then go for a wander around the Abbey grounds. I used to go with my mum and dad and DH and I used to take our 2 so it's a bit of family continuity.

Lovely photo yesterday of your wedding, MaryDoll. We've got photos of DH's dad in the frilly fronted shirts.

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

Greyduster Thu 01-Oct-26 07:16:00

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is just about light. It must have rained during the night but were promised a dry, fine day.

Writer’s club was interesting yesterday. We all had something to contribute. One of our younger members had finished a short story and wanted it critiqued. It was an interesting storyline with a twist at the end and none of us could find anything wrong with it except that there were so many characters “passing through” that it was difficult to keep hold of who was who. She said she thought that was constructive. I hope she doesn’t change it too much. We love her stuff.

While I was at the mall I bought a photo frame to house a photo of DH I had found in a recent trawl of the photo boxes. It is one of very few I have of him wearing his uniform. He was being presented with a medal. It was a very happy occasion.

Walking group today and then lunch with DD. I will call in on my niece on the way home.

Have the best day you can folks.

Stilllearning Thu 01-Oct-26 07:17:25

Morning all, a brief update. Since my hospital admission has caused me miss a much needed macular injection I am really struggling to read or type. A small hand held magnifying with lights has helped a little and a larger one should arrive today and one of the girls will bring it in this evening so please God that will make a difference.
Still waiting for a bed in Cardiology where they will trial a newer drug while I’m attached to a monitor for a couple of days.
I haven’t really been able to read all the news since I came in to hospital and texting is almost impossible but I hope you are all doing okay and I do appreciate all the good wishes xx

latedecember1963 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:17:34

Gorgeous nails, Bellasnana. 😍🍂

latedecember1963 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:19:37

Sending you a big unmumsnetty hug, Stillearning. 🏵😘

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:20

Good morning from a brightish Leicestershire.

Happy belated anniversary Marydoll.

Today we are visiting our financial advisor. He is very nice but I find these meetings pretty boring.
At least it looks like another lovely day I am hoping the seed on my front lawn will germinate.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

RosesandLilac Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:34

Good morning, it’s damp here around the edges in south Glos, better than nothing I guess!
I spent a couple of hours sorting through my art stuff yesterday, but haven’t actually started anything….definitely far too good at procrastination 😊
I want to do some gardening today in the front borders. I’ll take it steady and with a bit of luck it’ll be done by this time next week a bit at a time. It’s frustrating when not so long ago I would have sorted it in a day easily 🤷🏼‍♀️
I fancy scallops for dinner, they’re defrosting in the fridge and I have plenty of vegetables to choose from after a quick trip to Lidl yesterday afternoon.
Hope all’s well with you all x
🌹

karmalady Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:37

Stilllearning I wish you the best with lots of comfort and am hoping that you are on the mend and out as soon as possible. flowers

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 01-Oct-26 07:36:54

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I’m still in bed so idea about the weather.

White rabbits 🐰 !

Get well soon still-learning.

I have a lazy day planned culminating in dinner at a local restaurant,

Yesterday was fun. We spent the afternoon at our local NT place. It was the final day before closing until next Easter. We had a delicious cream tea and looked at our favourite paintings in the house. When we went with our friends on Sunday we couldn’t get up to the house as wheeled vehicles - buggies - aren’t allowed.

Have a good day.

Ashcombe Thu 01-Oct-26 07:41:29

Good morning from a bright and calm Torbay.

So sorry you are struggling to read, Stilllearning, especially as there are lots of warm messages for you from recent days. I hope the larger light with magnifier is with you by the end of the day.

I’m having my vaccinations against Covid and influenza today. I had both on the same day a year ago without ill effect, according to last year’s diary. I’ve opted to have them done at the pharmacy in preference to the surgery as it’s closer and not uphill!

Happy birthday to Iris!

Wishing everyone as good a day as possible. 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

glammagran Thu 01-Oct-26 07:47:17

Good morning from Wiltshire.

After 11 days DH is still testing Covid positive so we won’t be picking up from school today. I’ve not seen anyone for nearly 3 weeks now.

I forgot to check the Ocado shop before the cutoff time so ended up with a few items that I didn’t need when it was delivered yesterday.

I’m thinking of Stillearning in hospital and hope she gets some answers soon. Also JaxJacky your dental appointment must have been traumatic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Have a good day everyone.