Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 1st October 2026

(43 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 01-Oct-26 04:47:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its also dry outside here in Brackley today .
Today I will get a earlier bus to Bicester ,and then go and have a coffee and a snack , maybe a early beer in Spoons , followed by a shop ,and maybe chat to people I know.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

TheWeirdoAgain60 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:18:50

Good afternoon, Michael12 and everyone!

Good news! The migraine I had last went away yesterday evening, then turned into a general headache, which I could cope with, so I went to the swimming pool again. I'm always there doing multiple laps, and being in the water helped the headache, but I find I can't swim at all with migraines!

My bonce is clear again now, so tonight I'm bunging a tin of Fray Bentos Meatballs in Gravy with a tin of peas in the microwave for dinner, then I'll add some cubed Cathedral City cheese, tom sauce and vinegar, washed down with gallons of Yazoo strawberry milk!

It's incredibly quiet here at the shop today: 4 visitors, no sales and deader than a graveyard outside!

I know I shouldn't, but I've been secretly killing myself laughing about 2 new business owners who opened directly next door to each other about 3 months ago. I'll call them ''Jim and Jane''. In their 50s or 60s. Jane is a widow, and Jim has never married.

They've known each other for yonks but don't really get on. Both are actually really nice people, and they hand-make some lovely products, but not with each other!

Jim will moan to me bitterly about Jane, then say ''Don't tell Jane I said that'' then Jane will be the same to me about Jim.

She grumps that he's using her loo, which she's paying rent for, without cleaning and tidying, instead of going to the public loo which is literally just a couple of feet away, just leaving things in a mess. He's grumping about her, about her opening times.... which is nothing to do with him... her grumping about him having a week off....no business of hers.... ! The list is endless!

I don't and won't tell each one what the other is saying about the other one; I just ooh and arrr at the right times. I refuse to get involved, but they really are like a couple of silly kids crying and bickering! They're supposed to be adults! But they are both keeping me entertained!

See you later!

Borrheid55 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:54:56

Morning all from sunny Kent. I am up early as I have a dentist and hygienist appointment at 10.45!
Oh! Marydoll what a surprise! I don’t remember that pic being taken. How lovely to see all my special school mates again. (We are the two at the front for the GNers.) only one I haven’t heard about is P.
I only managed a couple of hours proofreading yday, between the brain fog and the pain it s a struggle! At least there is no deadline with this book. A regular author who writes everything longhand in little books which I then transcribe ( speech to text is brilliant!) and proofread. I am half way through so one final push and it will be done.
Hope you all have a great day - is it really October already, this year has surprisingly flown by.

Grammaretto Thu 01-Oct-26 09:46:16

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.

I've already been dispatching items to good homes this morning but will skip yoga too energetic! and go by bus to my dental appointment.

I hope a bed is found for you in cardiology Stilllearning and that your better
magnifier arrives and works.
You must be frustrated.
I hope you can listen to the radio and there are nice people to talk to.

Wishing everyone well.

Susan56 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:12:20

Good morning from Shropshire.A bright start to the day.

We enjoyed our time with DGS2 yesterday.We don’t often spend time with just him.He picked some Lego sets for his birthday and McDonald’s for food.

Today is our youngest daughter’s birthday.We will see her on Saturday.

I felt slightly worrying symptoms yesterday which put me in mind of my awful time in hospital last year.I phoned the drs at 8 and had a call at 8.30 from the GP who has set things in motion to check it isn’t all happening again🙏🏻

Physio this morning and then home for a hopefully quiet afternoon.

Hoping a bed becomes available today Stilllearning and that the new magnifier helps.

Wishing everyone the best day possible 🦩🌻

EkwaNimitee Thu 01-Oct-26 08:47:09

Good morning Mick and everyone from sunny Carlisle where it has obviously rained during the night. The strong winds we were forecast did not materialise thank goodness.

I went into town yesterday morning to look for a couple of overshirts in Marks. There was little choice as they've brought all the autumn stuff in. It was frustrating size-wise. I got one shirt that was a size smaller than I take but still roomy, the second one...well I tried 3 sizes, one smaller, one my size and one bigger. Even the biggest one wouldn't fasten over my modest bosom. I eventually found another style though not in cotton as I'd wanted.
After I'd done a few other errands it was lunch time so the ironing was postponed till afternoon followed by nothing useful.
Today I've been for my walk in the park where the leaves have now started to fall in earnest. Next is to put in an e-consult to the docs re reducing my steroids plus I need to order another collection of pills. Followed by a few chores and then I think I'll rove through my wardrobes and drawers seeing what might go...or probably not!

Late anniversary wishes to you and your DH Marydoll.

And I hope things soon start to move on quickly for you Stillearning

Best wishes to all!

hollysteers Thu 01-Oct-26 08:41:36

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
DD still here and DS replaced my security light outside yesterday. They also moved a keyboard down into a basement room. It belongs to a pianist friend who preferred it to my piano for our concerts, but he’s no longer able to play in public, so wants to sell it.

In the evening I went along to the usual opera co. rehearsal and felt much better, the cold/virus leaving me. Another small turnout. DD went out for a meal with her old school friends.

Tonight I go with her to a local production and we are sitting on the front row, which I love (but not everyone does).

Card I made and thoughts to all🌺

BlueSapphire Thu 01-Oct-26 08:32:47

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞 Northampton; windows misty this morning with condensation.
Yesterday turned out really warm and fine, so no worries about rain spoiling my hair after my visit to the hairdresser! So pleased to have it cut and restyled.

Got home and decided to go straight out again to take my autumn weight duvet to the cleaners as it's too big for my washing machine - I will be changing to it in the next 10 days, before I go on my holiday. It would be cheaper to buy a new one, and throw this one out, but can't justify sending it to landfill when it is still perfectly usable.

Picked up a few things in M&S while I was out, and browsed Next looking for something to wear at a December wedding, but nothing suitable.

Washing is in the machine, making the most of this lovely weather.

A Sainsbury's delivery at lunchtime. No cooking again this evening as I still have a portion of ham and pea soup left - just reheat in the microwave.

Wishing all a pleasant Thursday and White Rabbits Day!🐰🐇

Gagagran Thu 01-Oct-26 08:26:36

A quick good morning everyone as we wait for the arrival of the stair lift installers. Been scene setting ready for them. They confirmed yesterday. I shall leave any organisation they require to DH but will happily provide drinks etc. if required.

Have the best day possible everyone and hope those with health issues especially have a better day.

monk08 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:25:39

Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
Will try to get flu jabs today as they we were told from the 1st they would be doing them.
Out with friends this evening.
Will catch up with everybody's happenings later.
Wishing you all a pleasant day whatever your plans.

grandMattie Thu 01-Oct-26 08:17:17

MS, belated anniversary wishes. We married the same year on 15 October - specifically chosen as it is my half birthday! 😆
Hope something materialises for you soon, stilllearning. 🫂
Gorgeous nails, as usual, bellas; I love the shape of maple leaves.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-26 08:12:34

Morning from a bright S Hants, my appointment went well thank you, but a lousy night, mainly due to my imagination, I’ll be heading back up at some point to catch up. Needless to say, not a lot on today!
Stilllearning how frustrating for you all round, I do hope today improves on all counts 😘
🦩🦩

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-26 08:07:22

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 10 degrees.

My tablet failed just as I finished my post and I am now on my P.C. Grrr.

Thank you all for your good wishes yesterday. It was fortunate, we didn't go out, for I had a dreadful diverticulitis episode. 😯

We had a gentle day, quietly enjoying each other's company. There aren't many of those!
I pottered in my craft room and found so much stuff I had forgotten about.
I have messaged DIL2, to see if she wants my Resin kit. If not it is charity shop bound.
I also managed to instal WhatsApp on my PC and tablet. I am quite pleased with myself.😚

Last night, we shared a bottle of Prosecco and watched Trigger Point, which we enjoy.

Bella, I love your nails!!!

Borrheid, I could not find the photo I was looking for, it is not in the NAS box, but I know I have seen it recently.
However, I have found another one. I will keep looking.

Best wishes to all in the sick bay and to those, who carry a heavy burden.

Stilllearning, I never realised how bad your eyes had become or I would never bothered you by Whats App. I find it hard to read my phone at the best of times.💗

Have a good day folks.

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Oct-26 07:59:08

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 10° and dry. Stilllearning fingers crossed for a move to cardiology and a better magnifying glass. Bellasnana lovely nails.
Yesterday I achieved nothing as I felt unwell so went back to bed to sleep it off, only getting up for deliveries. Dd popped in at night to pick up some washing I had dried for her. Dgs2 was in the car and didnt want to come in but was then upset because he changed his mind. He came and gave me a big teary hug. Dinner was steak and sausage casserole.
Today I feel a bit better. I will head to the school library for a bit. This afternoon I have art class in Stirling. It's the first of 5. I'm planning on attempting something autumnal. Have a good day all

ginny Thu 01-Oct-26 07:55:17

Good morning from N. Bucks where the sun is shining.
As I thought Doctor yesterday thinks I have gout in my foot. I’ve had it in my hand before. So meds prescribed and as we flew on Monday ,a blood test today to check there are no small blood clots,
Thursday is usually a busy day but I will not be going to sewing club or choir. I will go to my art class as DH can drop me off and pick me up at the door.
Belated Ann greetings to Marydoll.
Wishing all a good day.

Liberty Thu 01-Oct-26 07:53:59

Good morning from a mild Suffolk after a similar day yesterday. Tee had the most magnificent sunset last evening. The sky was absolutely golden in a colour we have never seen before and I’m wishing now that I’d thought to take a photo but DS phoned at the same time and I was catching up with their doings. He said they had a similar one about 40 miles away.

I have my stretch class this morning and then must tackle a pile of ironing before I do anything else.

Stillearning hope a bed becomes available for you today so the planned treatment can start and you can get home soon. I hope others feeling under the weather have a better day and all can find pleasure in how the day plans out.

Gingster Thu 01-Oct-26 07:49:40

Good morning all . The forecast rain didn’t materialise yesterday and none for today either. October already. I’m sad to see the end of September. It was very warm yesterday - humid and clammy.

I bought violas and cyclamen from the market, had coffee with my friend who then dropped me at the restaurant to meet my ‘lovely girl’. She’s decided to give up work as she was finding it too much with two small children. She has no support from family and her Dh works long hours.

She ran me home with my heavy load which was very welcome.

Today DIL is taking me shopping so I’ll stock up with things to last me .Its fine to shop locally with my trolley but items dwindle so it’s good to have a big top up.

An afternoon of potting up and starting my new book .

My friend with the broken hip was due to fly home yesterday.,assistance and everything planned. South of France had torrential rain so all flights cancelled until today.

Other friend on the Greek Island with seriously ill Dh, flew home on Sunday with a paramedic . It was quite dicey as his oxygen levels dipped dramatically. They landed and he was immediately admitted to our local hospital.

Take care all 🌻

Redcar Thu 01-Oct-26 07:49:35

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. It was raining when I went to bed last night, but is dry and sunny now. I collected my prescription yesterday morning then joined some friends at the regular coffee morning run by volunteers from the church.

I replanted some hellebores that had been in a pot for some years, difficult to dig a big enough hole for them and I hope they survive! I’m taking the summer bedding plants out of their pots and will plant more bulbs in the pots - easier than putting them in the garden, which is still very dry.

stilllearning I’m sorry that you’re still in hospital and have missed your eye treatment. I hope that a bed in cardiology becomes available soon and that the new drug will help! Also that a new magnifying glass will help you to read a screen and text again,

I hope that those who are in the sick bay have some improvement today.

Have the best day you can everyone, October 1st already!

glammagran Thu 01-Oct-26 07:47:17

Good morning from Wiltshire.

After 11 days DH is still testing Covid positive so we won’t be picking up from school today. I’ve not seen anyone for nearly 3 weeks now.

I forgot to check the Ocado shop before the cutoff time so ended up with a few items that I didn’t need when it was delivered yesterday.

I’m thinking of Stillearning in hospital and hope she gets some answers soon. Also JaxJacky your dental appointment must have been traumatic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Have a good day everyone.

Ashcombe Thu 01-Oct-26 07:41:29

Good morning from a bright and calm Torbay.

So sorry you are struggling to read, Stilllearning, especially as there are lots of warm messages for you from recent days. I hope the larger light with magnifier is with you by the end of the day.

I’m having my vaccinations against Covid and influenza today. I had both on the same day a year ago without ill effect, according to last year’s diary. I’ve opted to have them done at the pharmacy in preference to the surgery as it’s closer and not uphill!

Happy birthday to Iris!

Wishing everyone as good a day as possible. 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 01-Oct-26 07:36:54

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I’m still in bed so idea about the weather.

White rabbits 🐰 !

Get well soon still-learning.

I have a lazy day planned culminating in dinner at a local restaurant,

Yesterday was fun. We spent the afternoon at our local NT place. It was the final day before closing until next Easter. We had a delicious cream tea and looked at our favourite paintings in the house. When we went with our friends on Sunday we couldn’t get up to the house as wheeled vehicles - buggies - aren’t allowed.

Have a good day.

karmalady Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:37

Stilllearning I wish you the best with lots of comfort and am hoping that you are on the mend and out as soon as possible. flowers

RosesandLilac Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:34

Good morning, it’s damp here around the edges in south Glos, better than nothing I guess!
I spent a couple of hours sorting through my art stuff yesterday, but haven’t actually started anything….definitely far too good at procrastination 😊
I want to do some gardening today in the front borders. I’ll take it steady and with a bit of luck it’ll be done by this time next week a bit at a time. It’s frustrating when not so long ago I would have sorted it in a day easily 🤷🏼‍♀️
I fancy scallops for dinner, they’re defrosting in the fridge and I have plenty of vegetables to choose from after a quick trip to Lidl yesterday afternoon.
Hope all’s well with you all x
🌹

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:24:20

Good morning from a brightish Leicestershire.

Happy belated anniversary Marydoll.

Today we are visiting our financial advisor. He is very nice but I find these meetings pretty boring.
At least it looks like another lovely day I am hoping the seed on my front lawn will germinate.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

latedecember1963 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:19:37

Sending you a big unmumsnetty hug, Stillearning. 🏵😘

latedecember1963 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:17:34

Gorgeous nails, Bellasnana. 😍🍂