Gransnet forums

Chat

not a great one for gadgets but some I have bought

(97 Posts)
poppysmum Sat 26-Sept-26 11:49:20

i rate higher than others.
Air fryer; recently taken the plunge and bought one. it is convenient, takes up a lot of room, in a lot of cases is not really any faster than the microwave 8/10
tabletop dishwasher. i do like crockery washed in a dishwasher its a clean feeling to the china you could never get by hand washing but the hoo ha of plumbing put me off. this little one is a game changer no plumbing just pour water in the top it tells you when its full enough, then water just goes out into the sink when draining. 10/10
Easi-yo yoghurt maker just add powder to water shake pop in boiling water in a tub overnight perfect yoghurt probably no cheaper but lot more convenient for me and some unusual flavours 9/10

poppysmum Sat 26-Sept-26 17:30:52

i did get mine off Amazon on one of the offer days for just under £150 so keep an eye open. dishwasher i mean.
one thing i wish i had not bought was a glass kettle; they looked so swish so bought one. i do not know if it is the water here or what but every week, there is a big black stain on the bottom of the kettle and it gets all misty. its ok cos a quick descaler powder works but that is not the point it drives me mad as it looks so yukky. i am not wasting the kettle but never again

Luckygirl3 Sat 26-Sept-26 18:00:25

Ditto to robot lawn mower. Mine is called Dave and he is very well-behaved . .

Shinamae Sat 26-Sept-26 18:11:26

poppysmum

i did get mine off Amazon on one of the offer days for just under £150 so keep an eye open. dishwasher i mean.
one thing i wish i had not bought was a glass kettle; they looked so swish so bought one. i do not know if it is the water here or what but every week, there is a big black stain on the bottom of the kettle and it gets all misty. its ok cos a quick descaler powder works but that is not the point it drives me mad as it looks so yukky. i am not wasting the kettle but never again

I’ll keep an eye out when Black Friday comes around….😉

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 18:15:32

I am embarrassed to say that i have tried to get on with an air fryer 3 times. I bought a cheap one which I gave to a friend, an expensive one that DS2 was pleased to relieve us of and another cheap one which is on it's way to the charity shop. I promise not to do it again.

My best gadget is probably an Alexa as I use it for all sorts of things and have one in most rooms.

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 19:04:37

Jaxjacky

At last a decent can opener for the few that aren’t ring pull, Lantana.

What brand is that please?

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 19:17:44

MT62

Jaxjacky

At last a decent can opener for the few that aren’t ring pull, Lantana.

What brand is that please?

Lantana - can opener.

Deedaa Sat 26-Sept-26 20:48:08

I have a small air fryer I bought in Aldi. It is useful for a quick meal if it's just me and my son. The kitchen is small so it lives in a cupboard when it's not being used. One of the most useful things I've got, which is not really a gadget, is a pack of silicone bags for making toasted sandwiches in an ordinary toaster, Definitely one of the best things my husband ever bought. (The spiraliser he insisted on buying me was one of the first things that went after he died)

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 21:03:58

Nicer Dicer?!

Off to investigate.

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Sept-26 21:14:01

Luckygirl3

Ditto to robot lawn mower. Mine is called Dave and he is very well-behaved . .

Haha ours is Charlie!

DaisyAnneReturns Sat 26-Sept-26 21:22:02

Not sure these are credits

1. Airfryer
2. Manual Carpet Sweeper - light enough to use when vacuum becomes to. heavy
3. Glass squeegee (for shower)
4. Flat metal oven tray (for those needing to defrost their freezer)
5. Cutlery drawer organiser
6. Appropriate food containers for fridge - fridge drawers are top of my list
7. Drawer dividers (and the will to fold clothes)
8. Dish washer
9. Remote Controlled Plug Sockets
10. ?

Thank you to everyone else for theirs.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 21:28:26

Drawer dividers (and the will to fold clothes)
Great for socks, scarves etc.

I bought open plastic boxes for the fridge, from The Range. Other stores sell them too.

Grammaretto Sat 26-Sept-26 21:49:49

A small dishwasher - that sounds nice.
I'm downsizing very soon and the "new" galley kitchen has room for a washing machine and a fridge and that's all 😟

I'm sad to be leaving the dishwasher and the tumble dryer which I hardly use but it's nice to know I can.

But a small dishwasher would take up space I suppose. Already the upright freezer will have to go in the garage if it comes with me.

I'm going to miss the space here but not the bills!

Primrose53 Sat 26-Sept-26 22:00:39

Another great little gadget is a kitchen drawer tidy which is adjustable to fit various sized drawers. Clever idea.

DaisyAnneReturns Sat 26-Sept-26 23:07:32

JenniRen

^Drawer dividers (and the will to fold clothes)^
Great for socks, scarves etc.

I bought open plastic boxes for the fridge, from The Range. Other stores sell them too.

All foldable clothes JenniRen. Life is easier if you can look huyin a drawer, see a row of oblongs standing up and being able to pull the coloured T shirt you need while leaving the rest neatly lined up, ready for tommorow smile

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Sept-26 03:13:21

My air fryer has paid for itself in the electricity saved. My oven is now a cupboard. I live on my own so an air fryer is more cost effective.

My Bosch dishwasher. Dishes are cleaner than after my efforts

Miele vacuum cleaner, now 20 + years old. I have a cheap upright upstairs so my cleaner is not carrying the heavier Miele.

My flatbed microwave cost more but it is a game changer, easy to clean and mop up spills.

My 3 Alexas. I am partially sighted so helpful for cooking times, asking her the time and an alarm clock.

Grammaretto Sun 27-Sept-26 09:32:37

I tried an air fryer once but couldn't see the point. Where was I going wrong?

It was just an ugly big lump taking up precious counter space. The food it cooked - roast veg- was horrid.

I like to stir fry, steam and cook on the hob smelling and tasting as I go or use the microwave for "baked" potatoes etc

It's probably just me as everyone seems to swear by them.

Franbern Sun 27-Sept-26 11:38:02

Rather pricey, but when I had my kitchen re-done some four years ago, I splashed (no pun intended) on a boiling water tap. wonderful gadget......so much safer, and very much quicker than any kettle. Apart from the annual filter change out, wich then needs manual resetting, it is totally trouble free and I can make a tea or coffee in less than a minute - or use it to fill a saucepan ready for pasta, etc. etc.

Notice no-one on here has mentioned this.

I am very much a gadget person, only me here and small kitchen. I am great believer that unless a gadget can be used without having to take out of drawer or cupboard, so worktop space limits what I have

The following are the most important for me

Boiling water tap.
Electric egg boiler
Induction hob
airfryer
Microwave,
toaster,
Soup Maker
Compact slow cooker
Easyyo yoghurt maker
Electric can opener
very small, but very workable electric chopper

poppysmum Mon 28-Sept-26 12:28:19

Franbern

Rather pricey, but when I had my kitchen re-done some four years ago, I splashed (no pun intended) on a boiling water tap. wonderful gadget......so much safer, and very much quicker than any kettle. Apart from the annual filter change out, wich then needs manual resetting, it is totally trouble free and I can make a tea or coffee in less than a minute - or use it to fill a saucepan ready for pasta, etc. etc.

Notice no-one on here has mentioned this.

I am very much a gadget person, only me here and small kitchen. I am great believer that unless a gadget can be used without having to take out of drawer or cupboard, so worktop space limits what I have

The following are the most important for me

Boiling water tap.
Electric egg boiler
Induction hob
airfryer
Microwave,
toaster,
Soup Maker
Compact slow cooker
Easyyo yoghurt maker
Electric can opener
very small, but very workable electric chopper

do you like your easiyo? i do not know if its cheaper or about the same in price but even if a bit dearer they are delicious. i usually have one or two being made and some in the fridge. overnight oats are really nice made with it.
btw my mini dishwasher is just on my draining board no more room than a dish drainer

crazyH Mon 28-Sept-26 13:17:46

Air fryer
Electric can-opener
Re-chargeable stick hoover

Elegran Mon 28-Sept-26 14:02:35

I like cooking, but not in small quantities every day. So I make in bulk, store in portions, and eat different things each day. I don't like housework.

Breadmaker - (used twice a week)
Soupmaker - winter, used at least once a week)
Garlic peeler - (roll garlic in sleeve, very cheap, no touch)
Garlic chopper - (roll it back and forth on work surface to fine chop cloves of garlic, no touch)
Small food processor - (John Lewis.)
Slow cooker - (used about weekly)
Bag sealer - (used about weekly to store portions for the freezer. They defrost quickly because the food is a thinnish square layer.)
Family Circle plastic biscuit box - (Sealed portions filed upright in it in the freezer. Holds about 12 meals. Not exactly a gadget.)
Halogen oven - ( Used daily. Similar to an air fryer but the heat is from above, with a fan. Good for small portions and grilling. )
Microwave - (Used daily. Defrosting, reheating, cooking vegetables, fruit, pasta, rice, noodles, frozen mashed potato)
Clothes-folding thingy - (used every washday) It helps fold the clothes very quickly and neatly into little rectangles which are exactly the same size for each one, and which you can then roll up and store in a row in the drawer. It has made a vast difference to my clothes storage. Everything is now visible at once and nothing has to be pulled out from the bottom of a pile.
Several motion sensitive nightlights - (bathroom one used average twice a night. Small and free-standing, and positioned so that if the power fails I can see my way to front door or bathroom. Inside bathroom one stays on long enough to use loo, wash hands and return to bed - if necessary waving arms to switch it back on for more time.)
Rotary vacuum (Does a quick whizz around the floors while I do other bits of housework. One of the early models. Time it was replaced.)

Mollygo Mon 28-Sept-26 14:03:30

Most used:
Soup maker
Electric Egg boiler,
dishwasher
Microwave
And now, my airfryer. The ninja 2 basket one is OK, but my Breville which is like a mini oven where you can have two separate baskets or one complete space has been much more frequently used, and for cooking lots of different things.

Elegran Mon 28-Sept-26 14:04:50

Rereading that I can see why one friend asks me every time she meets me ,"What gadget have you bought now?"

CarrotTop Mon 28-Sept-26 14:28:47

The little dishwasher sounds ideal. We inherited a plumbed-in one when we bought the house, which is fine except imho it uses more water than it needs to, plus the waste water goes down the drain. If a stand-alone one empties wherever you point the drainage pipe, I could save the grey water for the garden. It would also free up a good amount of under-counter space. Great idea!

JenniRen Mon 28-Sept-26 15:02:44

Elegran

Rereading that I can see why one friend asks me every time she meets me ,"What gadget have you bought now?"

Every time my mother came to stay she'd ask " So what have you got thst's new?" She liked to keep up-to-date even in her eighties.

Now, should I buy a new bread maker? The last one didn't survive my attempt to add something to the mix whilst it was kneading.

A garlic chopper - on the list now. Those garlic presses are quite hard on the hands.

MT62 Mon 28-Sept-26 15:21:42

Galaxy

Found my peoplegrin

That’s ok if you don’t want one, but it beats heating up a large oven according to my smart meter.