Gransnet forums

Chat

not a great one for gadgets but some I have bought

(97 Posts)
poppysmum Sat 26-Sept-26 11:49:20

i rate higher than others.
Air fryer; recently taken the plunge and bought one. it is convenient, takes up a lot of room, in a lot of cases is not really any faster than the microwave 8/10
tabletop dishwasher. i do like crockery washed in a dishwasher its a clean feeling to the china you could never get by hand washing but the hoo ha of plumbing put me off. this little one is a game changer no plumbing just pour water in the top it tells you when its full enough, then water just goes out into the sink when draining. 10/10
Easi-yo yoghurt maker just add powder to water shake pop in boiling water in a tub overnight perfect yoghurt probably no cheaper but lot more convenient for me and some unusual flavours 9/10

Grantanow Sun 04-Oct-26 23:46:27

Rechargeable electric corkscrew. Good for weakness/arthritis in hands. Copes with most corks.

MollyNew Thu 01-Oct-26 13:06:41

My most often used kitchen are all the usuals - slow cooker, stick blender, Easiyo and air fryer.

Out of the kitchen, my Dyson hairdryer has been my best buy. It is one of the earlier models, it is kinder to my hair and I notice the difference if I ever use a hotel hairdryer. It is noisy but I can put up with that. I bought it from QVC so I could use it and send it back if I didn't like it. I don't have any other Dyson products as I have read mixed reviews about them but I love my hairdryer.

Elegran Thu 01-Oct-26 12:45:54

Somehow it removed the word "remove" from that first sentence!

Elegran Thu 01-Oct-26 12:44:24

I don't the bowl of my halogen oven to wash it, unless something has spilt. I wipe it with a j-cloth dipped in hot soapy water, and a spot of Cif if neccessary, then rinse the clth in clean water and wipe again, and dry with a cloth. The inside of the lid gets the same treatment (with the power switched off in case the element gets splashed) Occasionally I put the bowl in the dishwasher.

Squiffy Thu 01-Oct-26 11:28:05

We used a halogen oven for years, but I found the bowl too heavy to manoeuvre when it came to washing it up. I dithered for ages over whether to buy a table top oven instead. Finally bought one and it’s used constantly!

Our other favourites are:

Stick blender
Toasted sandwich maker - especially in winter!
Teapot with infuser

A bit of a random one - Carabiner clips! Useful for all sorts of things, eg attaching handbag zip to the handle to deter a would-be thief, attaching a wet umbrella to your handbag/rucksack/shopping bag, hanging clothes hangers on the washing line… the list is as long as your imagination!

Mollygo Thu 01-Oct-26 10:09:33

kittylester

Madeleine I think it is has been established that dishwashers are much more ecologically sound that washing up by hand.

That’s true for large households, but even in our smaller one, the fact that I don’t have dishes from three meals, plus pans, plus endless mugs, sitting around on the drainer until I have a “full load” mentioned by Madeleine makes a dishwasher better for me. Certainly it uses less water than handwashing 3x per day including rinsing, but my MIL would never be persuaded - and when she came to our house, if she wanted to wash the dishes by hand, I let her.

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-26 09:39:20

Madeleine I think it is has been established that dishwashers are much more ecologically sound that washing up by hand.

SueEH Thu 01-Oct-26 09:26:39

Luckygirl3

I have a remoska - it is brilliant. I rarely use my ovens.

Best gadget of all is one that opens lots of different sizes of bottle and jars - and is great for tubes of paint where the lid has dried on. Also my electric can opener is in regular use.

I have a shoe remover and shoe horn all in one.

I had a Remoska for years and replaced my first one when the element blew up.
But it was finally overtaken by the air fryer.

Vintagewhine Thu 01-Oct-26 08:10:15

I use my Instant pot most days for making casseroles, soups, yoghurt, slow cooked meat, rice, etc, it sits next to my air fryer which is also used most days so I rarely use my combi oven except to heat plates or roast big joints of meat. It's very energy efficient.

madeleine45 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:02:50

I try to be as ecologically sound as I can, and have always thought about the indirect cost of things, so the only dishwasher I ever had was my husband! The amount of water used in a dishwasher seems too great for the job it does, especially as the water then just goes down the drain. In my previous house I had a good sink with a smaller side sink to rinse things in.

Here it is just the basic sink, so my version, now I am on my own, is to have a washing up bowl for the soapy part and then have a plastic bowl, probably a mixing bowl size, which I fill with fresh water. Then I have to sit usually to do the washing up, so wash in the bowl, take plate out, dunk it in clean water to rinse, and put in the rack to dry. At the end of the session, soapy water allowed to go down the drain, and rinsing water added to my bucket,to go out on the garden, I am very fussy about my coffee, and use fresh water every time (would not fancy the boiling water thing) so I actually have a jug of just the right size to fill the kettle with, so that water is not wasted, and the very small amount left in the kettle after I have made my coffee is allowed to cool down and then added to the watering bucket. Whilst I can see how useful a dishwasher is if you have a large family and a lot to wash up, I do feel that after washing machines they use a lot of good drinking water, and when we are in this drought period contribute to using a lot of water somewhat unnecessarily. I stick to only washing a full load etc., and save what water I can. This not only saves precious drinking water for everyone, but I actually keep my water bills down by this sort of economy, so its a win/win situation as far as I can see.

Taichinan Wed 30-Sept-26 22:26:11

basgetti ditto and ditto. I just got my robot window cleaner today and I'm looking forward to a binge window cleaning session tomorrow. And those coverless duvets are nothing short of miracles. I now have summer ones and winter ones and no longer dread visitors staying over. How I hated changing duvet covers.
I also have Robbie, my robot vacuum cleaner. He's a real little pal. I haven't got a robot lawn mower, but I do have a human who cuts the grass 😉. He doesn't have to be charged - he charges me 😂

weeducky Wed 30-Sept-26 10:19:53

My Easi-yo is THE best, in fact I have 2 and even take them on holiday with me...so easy (yo)! Also my vacuum sealer is great for fruit & veg from the garden, left overs, batch cooking etc. I also have an air fryer and a robot mower...he is called hubbie!!!

Katekeeprunning Wed 30-Sept-26 09:57:42

dragonfly46

The best gadget I have is a robot mower. It is controlled by an app which I can use even when I am away. It cuts the grass way better than I can.

@dragonfly45 can I ask what make you have please?

Katekeeprunning Wed 30-Sept-26 09:54:59

Patsytaylor

Robot hoover (bobby)
Rechargeable shark hoover
Air fryer
Pie maker
Instant (well nearly) hot water cylinder
Food processor
Vacuum food sealer machine
Rotary cheese grater
Coffee pod machine
I've always been one for gadgets. No room left in cupboards for any more!
Instant pot combi slow cooker/pressure cooker

Is the vacuum food sealer good? I'm so tempted to buy one as containers in the freezer seem to all get freezer burn

Kiwiqueen123 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:46:15

My very old Kenwood Chef. I really need to have it serviced as the bowl has a mind of it's own. Anybody had theirs serviced. Love it. No air fryer, just don't have the room on the work surface. Full sized dishwasher. Replaced the old one about six months ago. Have a Bosch and it's so quiet. Very different from the old one.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 30-Sept-26 06:59:15

I think it would be interesting to know (although I'm not suggesting people share) the age and household size of those offering there lists. Needs change quite considerably over time.

FreedomAwaits Tue 29-Sept-26 21:55:25

My favourite gadget is ‘Derek’ my robot vacuum and mop. You decide where it goes and how often. I wouldn’t be without it now.

Bestgrammaever Tue 29-Sept-26 20:31:27

I have a sous vive and adore it.

MiniMoon Tue 29-Sept-26 18:22:43

I have this set at least one very similar. It's great for garlic, but it's also useful for grating root ginger.
www.amazon.co.uk/Garlic-Grater-Pattern-Handmade-Dispatched/dp/B079HWM7D9/ref=asc_df_B079HWM7D9?hvlocphy=9046741&gad_source=1&linkCode=df0&hvptwo=&psc=1&mcid=06efaf3790b3396abc5bbcaf443238bd&hvnetw=g&hvadid=697317273524&hvpone=&hvlocint=&hvpos=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvocijid=5971352262801850670-B079HWM7D9-&hvqmt=&hvexpln=0&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-726993531284&hvrand=5971352262801850670

MiniMoon Tue 29-Sept-26 18:16:17

We love our Easi-yo. We buy the sachets from QVC when they are on offer.
I love my Ninja cold and hot blender and soup maker, so handy in the winter when I want to make enough soup for two bowls.
The stick blender I have came from Sainsbury's many years ago.

JenniRen Tue 29-Sept-26 17:28:48

Romola

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Braun stick blender, including whisk and chopper attachments. Lives in bracket beside cooker. Light and easy to wash.
Used today to make hummus.

Oh yes, I've got one!
It's in the cupboard but will make an appearance now soup season is approaching.

Tenko Tue 29-Sept-26 17:23:10

I often forget about my air fryer . It lives in a cupboard as it’s so big . It is useful at Christmas when the oven is full .
The gadget I use daily is my milk frother , it’s battery powered and makes lovely frothy milk for my coffee and it’s easy to clean .
The other much used gadget is my stick blender and my GTech cordless hoover .
Dh loves our robot hoover .

AuntieE Tue 29-Sept-26 17:17:17

I am not a gadget person, as I do not have any of all the things mentioned here.

I would have liked a robot grass mower, but, alas my garden is on three different levels, so I would need three of them! Compromise is a battery run mower, as I cannot be doing with flexes in the garden.

I have been wondering whether a robot vacuum cleaner would be a worthwhile investment, but I have been told they are best on fitted carpets, and I have none of those.

Romola Tue 29-Sept-26 17:12:10

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Braun stick blender, including whisk and chopper attachments. Lives in bracket beside cooker. Light and easy to wash.
Used today to make hummus.

JenniRen Tue 29-Sept-26 16:46:06

It is little and light and would be a great little christmas present to put in a card

Madeleine45, if you do buy any for other people, make sure the recipients pay you for them. 1p will be enough, otherwise it's bad luck.