Gransnet forums

Health

Husband had covid/flu vax Saturday. Heart attack yesterday

(60 Posts)
Sueinkent Mon 05-Oct-26 22:41:24

My hubby is 76. He had the vax Saturday and had a heart attack during the night Sunday. I am having difficulty seeing this as a coincidence. He has had lots a vaccinations before all through the pandemic and never any problem. Now he is in hospital but quite bright. I am not in great health so must muster myself to do the necessary.

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 22:46:55

Hoping he continues to do well, what a shock for you both.💐
I honestly don’t think it’s connected.

Doodledog Mon 05-Oct-26 22:52:50

I agree with Oreo. I’m sorry to hear what happened, but it’s much more likely to be coincidence than connection.

I hope he gets well soon. flowers

teabagwoman Tue 06-Oct-26 06:59:55

As Oreo and Doodledog have said it’s most likely a coincidence but an awful shock for you both.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Oct-26 07:02:03

I too am sure it was a coincidence I hope your husband recovers well As you say he’s had lots of vaccinations in the past with no problems good luck to you both

Esmay Tue 06-Oct-26 07:04:44

I'm so sorry .
May he get well soon .
Look after yourself.

granfromafar Tue 06-Oct-26 07:27:35

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery. I expect you have mentioned the recent vaccinations to the doctors, who would probably agree that it was a coincidence.

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 07:38:13

Such a shock, am so sorry. But as others have said it really probably isn’t down to the vaccinations. Good to hear he is quite bright am going he gets the treatment he needs and so enjoys a full recovery.
Best wishes to you both 💐💐

Sueinkent Tue 06-Oct-26 08:06:30

Thank you kind people.

Oreo Tue 06-Oct-26 08:38:10

Let us know how he gets on 😃

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:57:13

I am sorry to hear that your OH is unwell, but good that he is feeling bright.

I had a heart attack and it was treated with a stent and has left virtually no actual damage to the heart muscle. The good thing is that I am now on the right drugs to prevent it happening again so hopefully this will be it for your OH. But I know it is a shock.

It is of course not connected with the covid vaccine - just a coincidence. All the evidence shows this.

Maybe consider asking Gransnet HQ to change the title of the thread as making that connection so boldly might put someone off having the vaccine that could be a lifesaver for them.

I am hoping that your OH will be back on track soon.

Aldom Tue 06-Oct-26 09:02:40

Excellent advice from Luckygirl3. flowers
I hope your husband makes similar good progress and goes on to live a full life.
Best wishes to you both. flowers

nanna8 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:03:38

Some vaccinations do have unwarranted side effects and perhaps your OH had a vulnerability to this one. I don’t suppose you will ever know and as others have said it shouldn’t be a reason for others not to be vaccinated. Maybe in his particular instance, avoid that vaccine in future just in case ?
I had a severe reaction to the RSV vaccine but no one else I know did. We are all different.

Sago Tue 06-Oct-26 09:07:16

I’m sorry, your poor husband.

My very fit and healthy SIL (ex Olympian) had the vaccine and then got two blood clots, one on each lung, the NHS told him it was coincidence, he eventually sought treatment at the American hospital in Cheshire, he was told to never have another Covid vaccine, his private health wouldn’t cover him because he had received the vaccine and they classed it as experimental medicine.

Here is some information from AI but there are lots of articles for and against.

The most serious side effects of COVID-19 vaccines are rare and include anaphylaxis, myocarditis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and certain rare blood clotting issues.

GOV.UK
Serious Side Effects
Anaphylaxis: A severe, life-threatening allergic reaction that causes swelling, hives, and low blood pressure. It occurs in about 5 out of every 1 million people and usually happens within minutes of the shot, which is why clinics ask you to wait 15 minutes after vaccination.

Mayo Clinic
+1
Myocarditis and Pericarditis: Inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) or the outer lining of the heart (pericarditis). These are rare and most often affect adolescent and young adult males after receiving an mRNA vaccine (like Pfizer or Moderna), usually within a week. Most people recover quickly with rest and basic treatment.

nhs.uk
+3
Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS): A rare nervous system disorder where the immune system damages nerve cells, causing muscle weakness. It has been reported in very rare cases, particularly linked to viral-vector vaccines like AstraZeneca.

Health New Zealand | Te Whatu Ora
+2
Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS): A rare condition involving serious blood clots with low blood platelets. This was primarily associated with adenovirus-vector vaccines (such as Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca) rather than mRNA vaccines.

MT62 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:52:46

So sorry to hear that Sueinkent.
I developed chronic burping that same night after the AZ jab. I ended up on diazepam to calm my diaphragm down. Gp wrote in my notes ‘ Do note give AZ to this patient’!
Still the same all these years later. Specialist can’t find a physical reason for it.
My friend’s husband, exact same thing, chronic burping, he’s had tests & they can’t find a reason for his either.
Had none since, only the flu jab.

Coops74 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:59:37

My 42yr old Son in Law had a Covid vaccine developed myocarditis and his Cardiologist said it was the vaccine.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 11:04:50

I’m so so sorry for both of you and wish your husband a full and quick recovery.

Please do raise your concerns with clinical staff. flowers

butterandjam Tue 06-Oct-26 11:05:24

I reacted to having flu and covid vaccines on the same day; ever since, I get them done a week apart. Last year our local vaccination centre told me they have a lot of older people doing the same for the same reason. (DH has no trouble at all).

It's still important for older people to get vaccinated for both.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 11:05:55

nanna8

Some vaccinations do have unwarranted side effects and perhaps your OH had a vulnerability to this one. I don’t suppose you will ever know and as others have said it shouldn’t be a reason for others not to be vaccinated. Maybe in his particular instance, avoid that vaccine in future just in case ?
I had a severe reaction to the RSV vaccine but no one else I know did. We are all different.

Very sensible.

CarrotTop Tue 06-Oct-26 11:06:59

Your DH's doctors are the people to ask. You don't say which vaccination it was - flu, Covid, RSV, something else? People are sensitive to all sorts of things these days, so there should be something in your DH's notes if they suspect it may have been an allergic reaction. Not sure where you live and what rights a widow has there to see his notes, but I'd certainly approach the medics in this situation.

Ashcombe Tue 06-Oct-26 11:22:48

CarrotTop: This lady's husband survived the heart attack and is recovering in hospital.

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 06-Oct-26 11:36:47

Sueinkent

My hubby is 76. He had the vax Saturday and had a heart attack during the night Sunday. I am having difficulty seeing this as a coincidence. He has had lots a vaccinations before all through the pandemic and never any problem. Now he is in hospital but quite bright. I am not in great health so must muster myself to do the necessary.

You could ask your surgery what type of Covid vaccine was used, and report it under the Yellow card system. They collect data on possible side effects to different drugs, you can do it online.
Hope he makes a good recovery.

butterandjam Tue 06-Oct-26 12:31:16

Every time we get covid vaccinated we get a paper leaflet detailing exactly which type and make of vaccine we received this time, and those details are also entered into our NHS Scotland records by the nurse. She also asks and records if we had any after effects following the previous year's vaccine.

Our health records then show a full history of which covid vaccines we've had, right from the start, and any reported side effects.

(An anaphylaxis reaction would occur within minutes .That's why we're all asked to go and sit for 5 mins before departure.)

Peacelilydilly Tue 06-Oct-26 12:56:55

Sorry about your husband hope he'll soon be well again.
You can download the NHS App England and have access to.all your medical history what Covid and Flu vaccines you.have been given.
I've had 3 covid jabs but the last one was mRNA (google it and also on Youtube Dr John Campbell) so I'm not having anymore also the latest flu jab is mRNA instead of the old type so I won't be having that again either.

Bestgrammaever Tue 06-Oct-26 14:01:17

I am 76. I had the same vax Thursday. I didn't have a "heart attack".

I hope your husband recovers quickly and makes the lifestyle changes to prevent another cardiac episode.