Gransnet forums

Chat

not a great one for gadgets but some I have bought

(96 Posts)
poppysmum Sat 26-Sept-26 11:49:20

i rate higher than others.
Air fryer; recently taken the plunge and bought one. it is convenient, takes up a lot of room, in a lot of cases is not really any faster than the microwave 8/10
tabletop dishwasher. i do like crockery washed in a dishwasher its a clean feeling to the china you could never get by hand washing but the hoo ha of plumbing put me off. this little one is a game changer no plumbing just pour water in the top it tells you when its full enough, then water just goes out into the sink when draining. 10/10
Easi-yo yoghurt maker just add powder to water shake pop in boiling water in a tub overnight perfect yoghurt probably no cheaper but lot more convenient for me and some unusual flavours 9/10

Boz Sat 26-Sept-26 11:58:39

With me. it all comes down to labour saving with cooking and cleaning,
Airfyers are quick - cook small quantities very well and go into the dishwasher for cleaning. What's to dislike? I never use a conventional oven.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Sept-26 12:08:41

I love my Airfryer use it every day, even my breakfast toast gets done in the Airfryer I haven’t used an oven for over two years
I have a rice cooker which I love and a soup blender and a small microwave I think that’s all I ve got in the way of appliances

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:25:12

I use my air fryer a few time a week.
Apart from Christmas, I haven’t used my large oven in three years.
I do however have a combination neff oven, which is great as a smaller oven but absolutely chronic as a microwave.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 12:41:27

At last a decent can opener for the few that aren’t ring pull, Lantana.

mum2three Sat 26-Sept-26 12:42:53

An egg cooker is the most useful gadget I have.

YorkLady Sat 26-Sept-26 12:51:13

Jaxjacky

At last a decent can opener for the few that aren’t ring pull, Lantana.

Just looked at those and ordered one. Thanks 👍

tanith Sat 26-Sept-26 12:52:09

My airfryer is used every day rarely use the oven anymore. Microwave is used for defrosting mostly and thats about it for gadgets.

Luckygirl3 Sat 26-Sept-26 13:03:40

I have a remoska - it is brilliant. I rarely use my ovens.

Best gadget of all is one that opens lots of different sizes of bottle and jars - and is great for tubes of paint where the lid has dried on. Also my electric can opener is in regular use.

I have a shoe remover and shoe horn all in one.

Luckygirl3 Sat 26-Sept-26 13:05:31

I have 2 little plastic microwave saucepans - stick in some veg, and a spoon of water - put in microwave and buzz for 2 minutes. Handle is cool so you can remove easily and it tips up to drain. Bingo!

Doodledog Sat 26-Sept-26 13:05:43

I don't think you can compare a microwave and an air fryer. I use both, but not for the same things. 'Wet' food, such as curry or casserole is heated in the microwave, and 'dry' food such as potatoes or bacon goes in the air fryer.

petra Sat 26-Sept-26 13:16:31

I think plug in induction hobbs are a brilliant idea.
MrP has fitted 4 this year.

tanith Sat 26-Sept-26 15:54:12

Mine is plug in, my GS fitted mine no problem.

Galaxy Sat 26-Sept-26 15:57:38

I am the only person in the world who isnt bothered about an air fryer. I have one and hardly ever use it.
I love my egg cooker and my slow cooker.

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Sept-26 16:04:49

The best gadget I have is a robot mower. It is controlled by an app which I can use even when I am away. It cuts the grass way better than I can.

honeyrose Sat 26-Sept-26 16:07:58

I’m not enthused with my airfryer. I find it awkward to get food in and out of it - it’s only got a single compartment and cooks enough food for two, but I use the oven more as I find it easier to use, but I feel slightly guilty about doing so as it’s probably using more electricity. We had thought of getting a larger air fryer, but not done so. The existing air fryer I have is gathering dust in the utility room.

Margs Sat 26-Sept-26 16:13:38

A lovely chromium plated egg-slicer. Very efficient - knives, no matter how sharp, just don't do the job properly.

AmberGran Sat 26-Sept-26 16:47:16

I love my air fryer - but like all gadgets it's important to get one that suits the user. I only use my oven when we have visitors staying and I need to cook larger amounts.

I also love my slow cooker, brilliant for batch cooking for the freezer and big enough for making larger casseroles when we have visitors.

Our soup maker gets used when we are busy doing things and just want something quick and easy. DH has made some lovely soups in it and there is usually enough for two lunches.

My microwave is only used for heating plates. If it wasn't built in I would probably get rid of it.

Primrose53 Sat 26-Sept-26 16:58:48

Galaxy

I am the only person in the world who isnt bothered about an air fryer. I have one and hardly ever use it.
I love my egg cooker and my slow cooker.

No you’re not! I don’t want one either.

My best and cheapest gadget cost about £10. It’s a metal grater for cheese, chocolate, carrots etc. it is made by OXO and has a small plastic box underneath with a lid if needed. Before I got this I tried several graters (mostly more expensive too) and this is fantastic. I use it most days.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 17:06:18

Primrose53

Galaxy

I am the only person in the world who isnt bothered about an air fryer. I have one and hardly ever use it.
I love my egg cooker and my slow cooker.

No you’re not! I don’t want one either.

My best and cheapest gadget cost about £10. It’s a metal grater for cheese, chocolate, carrots etc. it is made by OXO and has a small plastic box underneath with a lid if needed. Before I got this I tried several graters (mostly more expensive too) and this is fantastic. I use it most days.

I used to have one of those, goodness knows what happened to it. It was handy and there was no mess.
Perhaps it's time to buy another one.

No, I haven't got an air fryer either.

Galaxy Sat 26-Sept-26 17:07:52

Found my peoplegrin

DollyRocker Sat 26-Sept-26 17:09:50

Small dishwasher I love. My air fryer is fab, quite roomy and I rarely use.the oven. Small electric chopper for onions, carrots etc. A potato tumbler or 'Spudinator' as I call it. Excellent if you have disabilities. The slow cooker is great for batch cooking but a sod to clean. I saw a silicone or polythene ? liner for them but I'm dubious about microplastics. Next gadgets to investigate are robo vacuum/moppets and robo lawn cutter. I'll need an Anne Droid soon probably! grin

DollyRocker Sat 26-Sept-26 17:11:04

Vacuum/mopper not moppet!

JackyB Sat 26-Sept-26 17:17:09

So many comments here on GN enthusing about air fryers are wearing my resistance down. In fact an air fryer would really be ideal for the way I cook and, like most of us here, I am only doing small quantities for two, anyway.

My main problem is, I don't have the space. I regularly chuck out kitchen gadgets I don't need, and keep the mixer and toaster in cupboards, but the worktops are still full. My oven works perfectly well (on electricity we produce ourselves by means of PV panels) but I do feel a bit silly switching it on for just a small pje, or a bake, or two fillets of fish.

My absolute favourite gadget is the Nicer Dicer which chops fruit and veg into even sized cubes or chips; so satisfying having all the bits in a stew a uniform shape and size, and the smaller cubes are ideal for risottos. Even if you're pureeing or mashing them, you have the guarantee that they will all be cooked to the same degree as they are identical in size.

Shinamae Sat 26-Sept-26 17:18:25

I loved the thought of a small dishwasher on my worktop. No need to be plumbed in then I looked on Amazon and
Most of them are over £200. I think I’ll stick with my Marigold’s….😁