Good Morning Everyone,
A dark and dry start to the day here in Brackley .
My routine today is a early bus into Bicester, have a coffee and a snack , then do a shop and return home earlier .
Maybe have a beer or two at lunchtime , followed by world cycling road race for elite women from Montreal on TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick
Gransnet forums
Chat
Good Morning Saturday 26th September 2026
(61 Posts)Good morning Mick. Looks like we are the early birds today. Its dark still and very quiet in N Surrey.
A warm day yesterday.
I travelled home from NLondon at about 8 pm on the train and it was like a mid summer evening on the walk home. Well not like this summer's evenings as they were often still in the 30s.
I should really be fast asleep as I didnt got to bed till 11.30. But only slept till 4 am. So an early night tonight.
Today I will tidy pots in the garden. Dig out dead stuff and trim back living plants, renew their compostnd give them a good water. I will throw away any pots looking shabby or cracked. Less is more now. I have too many and this summer they were a burden. One hydrangea sadly is completely scorched so that will go. The rest have survived and they can come out of hiding in the shaded side of the house.
I was given a box of 6 small pink plants. Two baby chrysanths, two cyclamen and two unidentified but look like primulas. So they need to be found a home. Perhaps in the hydrangea's pot when empty and cleaned.
This last week for many reasons I have felt very down and realised that the garden is my saviour and of course this summer it was far too hot to potter out there. Once out there hours pass in a flash. I had almost forgotten what a comfort it is.
I hope everyone has a good saturday and are all still tucked up asleep.
Good morning from Malta where the forecast is for isolated thundery showers and a high of 27°C.
It poured down yesterday morning but the sun came out again by the time I went to the hairdresser for my colour.
Went to buy some throws for the living room. The shop was full of autumnal decor and Halloween items. It’s still too hot to feel remotely like autumn.
I watched the Laver Cup from the 02 Arena in London. It’s a lot of fun to watch and the players seem to have fun playing in teams as well.
My niece has, at last, named her new baby girl and I honestly have never heard such an unusual name! I googled it and it is Norwegian apparently. Poor child is going to have to go through life explaining how to pronounce and spell her name.
I really must get to the PO today as I need a stamp for the US. My daughter asked me if I would send a card to her friend’s daughter who has Ewing’s sarcoma and is trying to get a card from every State and further afield if possible. It’s the least I can do. She’s a teenager and sounds very brave the way she’s facing her illness.
I’ve got my treasures for their weekly sleepover tonight. I think they might have to watch tennis with me unless they are in bed early!
Sorry to hear you have been feeling down HelterSkelter. I’ve been the same. The boys are my saviours, we all need something. Glad you have your garden.🤗
Wishing everyone the best day you can have.☀️
Thank you Bellsnana. The blues can really get a hold and often the Autumn can be a bit melancholy as Keats wrote. And Keats is at the forefront of my mind as I actually saw his house yesterday. We didnt go in as Dd and I had her dog with us, but the garden was lovely and peaceful with many iron benches dotted about. Hardly anyone there at midday.
Enjoy those boys. I expect they love staying with you and will do for many more years.
Good morning from s somerset, a pleasant day is ahead today
I am up too early today, I had hoped to get more than 6 hours as I had a total of 10 hours yesterday. However the painkiller demon of heartburn has struck, it started during the evening not long after taking ibuprofen. I kept on top of the heartburn by sitting up but it came back again and woke me
I cannot take the gaviscon tablets right now because of the bits getting into my tooth socket and the clot inside. My brain went into gear this morning and I drank some slippery elm, which was in the back of a cupboard. I can also make some cabbage juice later but first I need to pick the cabbage from my garden
It is a blooming nuisance but I always thought it might happen with the nsaid and because I have to eat pappy foods which don`t line my stomach. I am doing my utmost to avoid a dry socket and won`t be out of the woods for around another 5 days but fortunately will not need any more ibuprofen as the pain is manageable with paracetamol now
I am so wanting to get back to normal life, I did insert sleeves into my dress last night because I wanted to be upright and moving. I could vacuum today as that is movement but no strenuous walking for me yet
HelterSkelter I completely agree about gardening being medicine for mental health and for the soul. That is why I applied for an allotment, I have a half plot and it is very much my refuge, while also having other people in the vicinity who will chat or wave with a smile
I just want to get through the day, dampen down this lurking heartburn and get to day 4
Oooh I tell a lie. Have just read Keats' Ode To Autumn and he doesnt say melancholy at all. Mists and mellow fruitfulness. Well no mists yesterday but a lot of the fruitfulness.
Good morning from a still dry Bristol. No rain for ages.
I had a strange morning yesterday - washing and bedding done and hung out to dry. I didn’t expect it to be done early as there was not a breath of air.
I walked to my friend’s, but had forgotten her house number. Up and down, up and down… didn’t have her phone number, so I called the church office. The administrator is her neighbour; it went straight to voicemail. In desperation, I emailed her. Her reception was dodgy, but I got one back and was only 15 minutes. In turn, she knows I’m very punctual and was wondering where I was!
After a good hour together, I took a bus home - guess what? I went to the wrong bus stop! Got to the right one just in time. I then purchased a few viola plants together with cyclamen and a heather. I hope they settle in and give me colour over the winter.
The afternoon was spent reading, translating and trying to understand a short story by Isabel Allende for my Spanish class on Tuesday.
Today, I’m getting and arranging vegetables given to me by the generous local greengrocer for our harvest festival service tomorrow. I make chutney/pickle with the vegetables and try to give him a jar or two. It’s also the vicar’s last sermon after 24 years here and his retirement service is next week.
Quiet afternoon. I’ll finish my Spanish and do little…
bellas, babies today seem to either be given extraordinary names or have the most popular name; no one is called for example Mary or Peter any more…. I’m glad you are finding gardening soothing, helter; enjoy your day mick.
Carpe diem 🦩🌹🦩🦩🦩
Good morning from a still dark Crewe where we are staying in Travelodge to visit my family.
Instead of coming by train, DH decided to drive us here in his relatively new Puma. The car went well but we encountered several slow patches so our journey from Torquay took over seven hours!
We met up with the family for dinner at a nearby pub where DGD, nearly 14, regaled us with her thoughts on various topics learnt in school. She is a most interesting and interested person and excellent company!
What a time you’re having, karmalady! I do hope the gum is healing well.
Happy weekend, everyone! 😀
I find a drink of hot water helps heartburn Karmlady but of course it doesnt line the stomach which is what is needed.
Would thickish custard help even mixed with mashed banana?
I do have liquid gaviscon in the cupboard, but of course if you havent got it my saying that is not much help in the middle of the night.
As you say being back on just paracetamol will help.
I read and then again Keats poem about Autumn this morning not having read it in full for many years. Such a wonderful poem and easy to read aloud. I don't think I appreciated the words and scenes it evoked at 14.
Good morning from Sheffield
Karmalady, these first few days are very trying. I have recently had a lower molar removed. I was surprised at how much pain I was in for the first couple of weeks and like you I was terrified of losing that clot. You sound as though your pain is improving though, hope you heal quickly.
We had such a lovely day at Renshaw hall yesterday. The tour was very interesting. A very eccentric family. The gardens were past their colourful stage but still beautiful.
A quieter day today although we may go for a cycle ride this afternoon. We don’t cycle in the winter so I want to get a few more in before it gets too cold.
Thinking of those lonely or poorly this weekend 
Good morning everyone from Lancashire.
I'm glad you've got your garden to lose yourself in HelterSkelter. I can lose hours in our garden and enjoy the physical exercise as much as the mental planning. Even when it's tiring, it's a good tiredness if that makes sense.
Do you enjoy jigsaws? I can lose hours over a puzzle. DH reckons it's me enjoying restoring order to a box of chaotic pieces. 😄
How discombobulating, forgetting your friend's house number, GrandMattie. When I go to the Trafford Centre I always have to have something in my head to remind me where I've parked because the carparks are vast.
I'm 'banking' your knowledge about how to look after your mouth after a tooth extraction, Karma, in case I ever need it. I had a tooth removed years ago and I don't remember being any advice re aftercare beyond taking paracetamol if needed.
Not sure what we've got planned for today beyond a supermarket shop. I've done 3 long days on my own this week so DH may offer to take the little chap to the park and then Strictly begins properly this evening.
I don't know much about most of this year's contestants, but I quite like not having any preconceived ideas about how they'll do. 💃🕺
Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻
Good morning from Durham. It’s a grey, chilly start and I’m tempted to knock the heating on. I start most mornings with a fit of sneezing, which is very annoying. Bought my ‘special’ Christmas cards and ordered others from Marie Curie yesterday. I’ll hide them, as I’m just getting into Autumnal mode!
I’m going through to DD2’s to collect Little Dog soon, later I’ll meet her and DGS2 at a local garden centre for tea, then home to give the dog a good walk off leash, before dark.
Best wishes to all. X
Helterskelter I am going to get liquid gaviscon today but warm water is a no no as anything above lukewarm could start to dissolve the clot. Thanks
I would not say much about this tooth journey but honestly wish I had known much more in-depth stuff beforehand, so I decided to pass on what I have learnt. Oldies with a lifetime of fillings and now with aged delicate teeth could at any time have a lower molar problem which needs urgent attention
I needed the extraction quite urgently. One thing I did notice afterwards was by day 2, I was thoroughly zonked out and beyond tired. Don`t do anything is my advice, at least for 48 hours. Day 1 I went to the allotment and carted 4 heavy squash home, big mistake
A dry socket has a pain number of 10/10 and is excruciating, not touched by over the counter painkillers. I know a dentist can help by packing the cavity but it will still not relieve the pain very much
Oh yes, before extraction, I found oragel very useful for the few times my top molars accidentally crashed into the lower molar, that pain sent me through the roof. I had oragel in my first aid box
Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is set to be a fine day. Chilly at the moment, though. I slept badly again last night but did better than the night before.
School with year four was fun. They are a nice relaxed group, two of whom I had in their previous year so we know each other well. Some of the year five girls have been in the library making bookmarks in their lunch break all week and yesterday they presented me with a boxful and invited choose not just one but two “because we know you read a lot of books, Miss”!
Today I will do an early shop and then drop down to the nearest of our three local garden centres buy some bird food. They are going through it like nobody’s business at the moment. Nothing with peanuts though; a squirrel is harvesting any the birds drop and burying them in the lawn. At some stage I suppose he’s going to come and dig them up again! We’ve lived here for fifteen years and this year is the first year I’ve seen squirrels in our garden.
Glad you enjoyed your visit to Renishaw, Melanie. I was there last year for an art exhibition, and have been to the gardens twice but never been inside the house. I know they only do tours on a Friday.
Have the best day you can folks.
Good morning Michael and all GN's on a still calm dark morning in North Yorkshire. A very poor nights sleep and now really struggling to get around this morning. I wanted to get on with things this morning, but literally cant actually get moving yet. So rough that I havent even been able to get into the shower, as darent risk slipping . So am hobbling about, and waiting for the painkillers to take some effect. My optimistic plans for today will have to be ignored and I shall wait and see how things go later. Definitely a morning for the yellow peril to go down to the market.
I dont know why it is so bad today, as yesterday I had a , for me, quietish day, after the sterling efforts of thursday. So I started by putting the rest of the shopping away that had been abandoned on the kitchen top, Wrote a few necessary emails, and got myself ready for the friday morning at the library bocca group. Wrote a short shopping list,to go and get on the way home later and got off to the meeting. The usual struggle over the wretched yellow bumps and the flipping awkward slope with handles that have had nothing done to them. (Think if nothing happens over the next few weeks, I might turn into an urban guerrilla and find a friendly farrier to show me how to attack the bars myself!! No , dont think I would be a lawbreaker really, better to change things legally!)
Was one of the early birds there, and got myself parked up and into the meeting room. I regaled them with the tale of the hotel saga, as one lady especially had asked about how things were going on. She has been made aware of the difficulties that disabled people have with access to places since a close friend of hers has recently needed to look at this after an accident. When someone close to you needs these things it does throw things into perspective, which you may have not been aware of previously. So , she is keen to hear the progress, and whilst I of course was not so rude as to actually do it, I felt like pulling a face and saying "See told you so, "to the person who had dismissed my actions previously and said that it wasnt worth getting involved as nothing was likely to change!! As it happened, the librarian came by at that time and asked me if I had received a comformation of the receipt of my complaint from the top bods at the library bosses. I told her that I hadnt seen anything yet, but would check it up when I got home. So mentally felt like Boudicca, charging into battle and at least getting some reaction!!
The rest of the class were arriving and we then got down to some bocca games, no curling today. However I was getting better at gauging distance, but still find it hard working out the effort needed when you are sat rather than bending down lower and getting better results. However concentration and looking at the post or skittle and imagining it is the ceo of the hotel or Donald Trump helps the aim, and slowly improving. There are two men and one woman, who are obviously previously bowls players and who certainly have good aim and hand eye co ordination. Unfortunately just the way we are sitting means that they are all on the opposing team, but I have found my role in the game as I do go in for devious action. So I may not be good enough to land on a small area , I am quite good at gauging ways of knocking their balls off the goal, which then allows a better player on my team to go for the space I have made her.Anyway it was a good chance to let off steam a bit and have a bit of an exercise. Then I left on the yp and thought of going home, but thought while I was out I would get the local paper and go and get some cash etc. In the end I got the paper and did a bit of shopping and ended up at the other end of town and diverted myself into Nero's as the wretched paths had made it so painful. So it was a quieter time there, and I was able to get myself stiffly into a decent seat. Another change of staff, meant that I had to explain my needs to a new chap, but he was very pleasant and I was able to leave him to bring it over to me. Glad to sit down in a more comfortable seat I then went right through the paper, marking up things of interest , both for myself and for others in the group, who I send a little alert out to. Lots of things on this weekend and of course some harvest festival services and all sorts of coffee mornings and charity things happening. I had thought that I might manage to get back down to Harlow Carr this weekend as it was so lovely the other day, but no it will just be something quite local which I can manage.
I took my time and enjoyed quite a peaceful atmosphere, back down to a few people with well behaved dogs and no great crowds there. Feeling better for the break I then calledin at Tesco for some bits and pieces and then home. Plenty of things needed doing, but still not feeling too brilliant so just made a meal and did very little apart from later in the evening enjoying Downton Abbey. So you can see that I didnt do any great mammoth efforts yet here I am struggling today. Ah well that is life! So today will be cut down to going to the market, getting Yorkshire Post, and doing what I can,and tomorrow will go to the Harvest Festival , probably at the little village, where I go to play whist. One of my favourite festivals, with so many memories of my granny and all the family being part of it. I love the hymns and all the true joy of a harvest safely gathered in, which in a rural area , has real meaning. As a little girl, I was very proud of my great granny , who used to bake the sheave of wheat bread loaf, which would be the centre piece of the harvest offerings. We loved going up the aisle to the vicar and presenting him, with our gifts of the best we had grown and it was so lovely to see the fruit and vegetables and eggs and fish all mounting up behind him. After the service would come the harvest tea, and we would all bring lovely autumny things, with lovely blackberry and apple pies and many lovely home made things to enjoy. Fingers crossed for good weather to allow everyone to come to the service. I love the actual service , but also for me that connection, stretching back over the years, remembering my great uncles relief in his voice when the last of the harvest had been gathered in , in a bad year, and the talk amongst everyone after the service of what crops had done well or badly and their thoughts on what they might grow the following year. The neverending life on a farm, where as soon as you have finished one thing, you are on to the next. On the land, you cant decide to go off on holiday, or have a couple of weeks doing nothing, the animals want feeding, and the cropped fields ploughing for the next thing.
Hope you get your early bus Mick and have a good visit and back for the cycle race. You are right Helter Skelter the garden is always a good bet, and can suit you in whatever mood you are in. feel annoyed? get the secateurs out and do a bit of savage snipping, need to calm down? do a bit of planting up pots. Hope you will find pleasure in the garden again now. Karmalady it sounds as though you have been having a horrible time and hope that things improve for you soon. GrandMattie sounds as though you had a bit of an odd day. Hope the chutney making goes well.
Well I now have the squirrel charging up and down the tree and running along the fence, whilst the pigeon crowd has increased to 3 , all somewhat aimlessly wandering round and pecking at the odd bit of grass. Time to have a go at moving at tortoise speed and see if the shower will work its madness. we are getting a fair bit of sunshine and a little breeze now, so that looks good for my trip to the market.
Wishing you all a pleasant and productive day
Good morning from Cornwall where it's balmy and still, not even the tiniest leaf stirring on my patio.
I had the loveliest time at my daughter-in-law's yesterday. We talked non-stop for the whole time about arty and quirky things. We're very good for each other.
Today I have woken up with lots of energy and a whole glorious blank day for jaunting. I may buy the Cornwall Day Ranger train ticket and rove around the county at will.
I have lots of dismantling of garments to do as I want to create an olive green pair of casual trousers, as a change from denim. I can take some in my back pack and unpick the seams between stops. The joy of retirement. (And feet that work again.) 😄
Good morning, it’s a chilly 5° here on the hillside in south Glos, clear skies and more sunshine today despite hoping for lots of rain. The soil in my garden is like dust; I dug out a rampant jasmine and even 12” down it was bone dry. I’ve finally finished the borders and I am very happy with my efforts, I have probably removed 60% of the plants (they didn’t survive the summer) and once we have a decent amount of rain I will heavily mulch with manure. Then that’s it until next spring. I was going to plant bulbs but unless we have an appreciable amount of rain soon it would be a waste of time.
I’ve had the excruciating pain of dry socket every time I’ve had an extraction Karmalady, it’s the worst pain ever. I now have prophylactic antibiotics. Having had at least a dozen extractions I totally know how you’re feeling 🤗
Today I have a few pots to sort out then I will tidy the potting table etc and that’s me done!
The washing dried nicely yesterday, one bonus for this dry weather 😊
Quiche and salad and new potatoes for dinner, plenty of fresh fruit for afters.
Have a lovely day x
🌹
Good morning from a mild sunny S E Essex.
Other than popping into a couple of local shops I have absolutely nothing planned for today. I think I might sit in the garden with my book. I was thinking about jackets and cardigans and realised I haven’t worn either since half term at the end of May.
Wishing you all a pleasant weekend 🙋♀️
Marzipan have you seen the Matchy matchy patterns. I saw some lovely trousers on there, made from bits of fabric
Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Sunny here but chilly.
I slept better but my back is still a bother. It's always worse first thing.
I had news that my friend had a stroke last week while away down south. Luckily he got to hospital within 2 hours so was saved serious damage. His speech is affected but that seems to be all.
A nice young family collected a large futon and I took another boot load to the tip (recycle centre)
I had another survey from a different removals company. It was very thorough. He counted my paintings - I could open a gallery - and took pictures of everything.
HelterSkelter I am glad your garden gives you such solace. I shall miss mine. I've taken cuttings of all my roses but wonder where they will go in my low maintenance garden.
Well done gMattie finding the address!
I hope your gum heals quickly Karmalady
Have a good weekend everyone.
That's lovely that you enjoy your DiL's company, Marzipan.
I was the same with my MiL. Never a cross word in 40 years. I miss her a great deal, but I treasure the memories of the times we spent together.
Good morning all . It’s still and very quiet - another lovely day forecast here in Essex.
Just read Keats ‘Ode to Autumn’ again - beautiful! I do love Autumn. Thanks for the reminder * Helterskelter* . 🍁🍂.
Yesterday my friend messaged to say she’d pick me up for our Friday catch-up , so I thought I might as well go with her. Dh declined again!
It was very busy in the pub with lots of large groups , so noisy, which Dh would have been uncomfortable with, so just as well, he didn’t come. It’s only a couple of hours but nice to break the day up with old friends. I had my (probably) last Pimms of the summer.
Today I’ll take my trusty trolly up to town and shop for the family gathering tomorrow. Usual buffet which gets a bit boring, but with 12 of us , plus some older GC popping in and out, it’s the easiest option.
Eldest DGD is coming ‘home’ for the weekend from Southampton so it will be lovely to see her.
Sorry to hear Helterskelter and Bellasnanna feeling down.
Enjoy the garden and your little lads 💐💐.
My friend stuck on a Greek Island with seriously ill Dh, should be flying home tomorrow assisted by a paramedic. We all hope this will put a stop to their gallivanting as this has happened every time they go abroad . He ends up in hospital., Both in their mid 80’s and not very fit. This is the worst it’s been.
I hope you all have a ‘good’ day whatever it brings.🌻
This matchy matchy vest/waistcoat is free, made from bits
matchymatchysewingclub.com/products/free-wavy-quilted-vest-pdf-sewing-pattern
Oh my goodness Karma , this all sounds horrendous!
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

