Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 26th September 2026

(62 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 26-Sept-26 04:58:19

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark and dry start to the day here in Brackley .
My routine today is a early bus into Bicester, have a coffee and a snack , then do a shop and return home earlier .
Maybe have a beer or two at lunchtime , followed by world cycling road race for elite women from Montreal on TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Redcar Sat 26-Sept-26 07:52:14

Good morning everyone from a sunny mid Essex. Yesterday was sunny and warm until about 4 when it clouded over. I had my usual walk then finished cleaning the kitchen ready for my hairdresser’s visit in the afternoon,
We had a good chat, I’ve known her since she was a little girl and she often tells me of her family problems. Not a problem as I don’t see her family!

Nothing planned for today, just continuing to clear a large patch of seedlings in the back of the garden - some I know will be flowers, but most are weeds, so I’ll take the hoe to them all and start again next spring. I need to get more plants to fill the big gaps, I like colour, not bare earth but hip and back problems have stopped me from doing much recently.

karma I hope your mouth starts to feel more comfortable soon and that the heartburn isn’t too problematic today.

bellasnana enjoy the tennis later and especially the sleepover with your two treasures!

Safe and delay free travels to those on the move today.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 07:53:02

Morning from a cloudy S Hants, I know your trying to be helpful karma but I’m now petrified for my two extractions, lower molars, next week. I’ve got an urgent review with my dentist on Monday.

Marzipan22 Sat 26-Sept-26 07:57:53

Thanks Karma, no I hadn't heard of it but have just scrolled through lots of their images, very interesting.

monk08 Sat 26-Sept-26 07:59:41

Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
Over to friends later.
Will catch up with everybody's happenings after the usual Saturday full English which is calling.
Best wishes to anyone celebrating, safe travels those on the move and virtual hugs where needed,
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans 😎.

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Sept-26 08:05:16

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞Northampton, a fine day ahead again. Felt really chilly on stirring from bed, and the heating might have to go on soon!

I had been coughing so much again yesterday that by mid-afternoon I felt so bad that I decided to give the surgery a call just on the off chance that someone could help.
I spoke to a most lovely kind receptionist who passed my details on and within a couple of minutes was offered an appointment at 5.30 pm. There being no-one available to give me a lift, (another story), I got a bus. I was seen by a very efficient and caring senior nurse who took a history, listened to my chest and immediately diagnosed a bad chest infection. A full weeks course of antibiotics was prescribed.
Luckily the surgery has a pharmacy on site so could just wait to pick it up. By that time it was 6.15, I had just missed a bus home, and rather than wait half an hour for the next one at a cold bus stop I popped into the only place open - the village pub! Found a stool in the corner of the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine! Timed the bus just right and was swiftly home.

Fed the cats, reheated my curry and settled down to an evening of rugby on tv. A fantastic match, a good win for my team and I was very happy. That is until one of the cats decided to take up residence in a corner kitchen cupboard..... I gave up trying to coax her out with cat treats and tuna and just left her, closed the kitchen door to stop the other cat trying to join her. Eventually she decided she didn't want to spend the night in there and came out - she didn't like being ignored!

I said earlier that no one could.give me a lift yesterday - my neighbour was out, and DS called to say he was at the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford with his partner who needed emergency surgery on her eye. She had a detached retina operated on a few weeks back and it had not healed properly, so needed further surgery to fix it. Luckily all went well, and they got home late last night.
I shall hear more about it this morning as DS is coming down to give me some help with a couple of things.

Not sure what the day will bring after that; I may ask DS to give me a lift to the shops if I feel up to it.

Not read your posts yet, so will wish everyone a pleasant day.

Marzipan22 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:06:06

Don't be petrified Jaxjacky, I've had the procedure done twice, latterly in hospital where two molars were removed. I can only take paracetamol. Just follow the advice on the leaflet they'll give you. After the first day I stuck rigidly to the salt water mouth rinsing and I'm sure that helped enormously. You don't swill it around just let it bathe the offending area. You'll be fine, honestly.

The actual extractions have never been an issue, just some tugging, no pain during the procedure.

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Sept-26 08:17:05

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 12° and dry. Bellasnana enjoy your treasures today. GrandMattie definitely an odd day for you. Ashcombe enjoy your family visit. HelterSkelter autumn is my favourite season.
Yesterday I had a quick visit to aldi for bread then spent the rest of the day at home. I pottered about and did some housework and washing but the day disappeared before me!
Today will be quiet again. I have a tesco delivery this afternoon and I will watch Strictly tonight. I have the mute button ready to press when the talking starts! I will strip the bed and get the whites washed. I might clean out the cupboard under the kitchen sink. So many possibilities! Have a good day all.

baubles Sat 26-Sept-26 08:18:57

Good morning from dry South Lanarkshire.

Another broken night means I’m not worth a button this morning. I was woken by a very large fox standing on the pavement outside my window barking loudly for several minutes before moving off, still barking. Daft dug didn’t stir from her slumber.

Karma I’ve to have an upper molar removed soon. I was a little nervous as my dentist has warned me of the unlikely but possible side effect from Alendronic acid which I take weekly but now I’ve added dry socket to that. I don’t really know what it means and I’m almost afraid to look into it now. grin

I’ve a few things to pick up in the town so I’ll walk down later if the rain stays away.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Susan56 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:26:06

A quick good morning from Shropshire.

We are off to help at DGS’s birthday party shortly.I am always up early but not today so we are running late 🤦🏼‍♀️

I will catch up with all your news later.

Wishing everyone the best day possible🦩🌻

WalthamstowinWaiting Sat 26-Sept-26 08:32:35

karmalady

Good morning from s somerset, a pleasant day is ahead today

I am up too early today, I had hoped to get more than 6 hours as I had a total of 10 hours yesterday. However the painkiller demon of heartburn has struck, it started during the evening not long after taking ibuprofen. I kept on top of the heartburn by sitting up but it came back again and woke me

I cannot take the gaviscon tablets right now because of the bits getting into my tooth socket and the clot inside. My brain went into gear this morning and I drank some slippery elm, which was in the back of a cupboard. I can also make some cabbage juice later but first I need to pick the cabbage from my garden

It is a blooming nuisance but I always thought it might happen with the nsaid and because I have to eat pappy foods which don`t line my stomach. I am doing my utmost to avoid a dry socket and won`t be out of the woods for around another 5 days but fortunately will not need any more ibuprofen as the pain is manageable with paracetamol now

I am so wanting to get back to normal life, I did insert sleeves into my dress last night because I wanted to be upright and moving. I could vacuum today as that is movement but no strenuous walking for me yet

HelterSkelter I completely agree about gardening being medicine for mental health and for the soul. That is why I applied for an allotment, I have a half plot and it is very much my refuge, while also having other people in the vicinity who will chat or wave with a smile

I just want to get through the day, dampen down this lurking heartburn and get to day 4

Can you tolerate liquid Gaviscon? It's very effective and won't trouble the socket.

WalthamstowinWaiting Sat 26-Sept-26 08:33:55

Ignore me! Should have read the whole thread before jumping in - apologies.

Liberty Sat 26-Sept-26 08:34:17

Good morning from another sunny start to the day in Suffolk.Yesterday we enjoyed a walk on the beach and then delicious fish and chips in the beach cafe. Although not advertised on their menu I knew that they would do a small portion which I ordered and it was excellent.

DH said that the portion of haddock was the size of a normal one in most cafes. He enjoyed their usual size.

Apart from potting up some spring bulbs and our weekly Waitrose order, after a walk along the fields the day is mine to do as I like…..my kindle will get lots of use today.

I hope today is a positive one for all.

WalthamstowinWaiting Sat 26-Sept-26 08:41:13

London calling!

Was very grateful yesterday that the weather remained much cooler than forecast, and this morning also feels a lovely temperature.

Free this morning and then working this afternoon. Osteopath appointment a gentle walk away in the village in an hour or so. Years of heavy lifting when nursing (decades ago now) mean that my back flares up every so often, although fortunately tai chi keeps it under control most of the time.

Hope everyone has the best day possible, around the various aches and pains.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 26-Sept-26 08:45:41

Good morning from sunny Stockport.
I have had a disturbed night for no reason at all so will be tired today.
I have Sainsbury's today even though I only has a delivery on Tuesday. I realised I had missed a few things then, one being cat food. Guess what is not available?
I shall have to ask my S to call at Asda in the next few days. He is an Aldi shopper but they don't stock the brand my fussy cat prefers.

You have made me more determined to look after my teeth Karma I have never had a lower molar removed and now I certainly don't want to.
I hope you soon find some relief.

In the past I have experienced slight depression and a low mood and still tske the lowest dose of Citalopram daily so I sympathise with you HelterS it is so debilitating when it lasts for ages, I hope your mood soon lifts.
Grandmattie a strange day indeed. I gave lapses in memory occasionally but mine is due to old age.i hope you all have a decent day today, it is certainly getting Autumnal now.

luluaugust Sat 26-Sept-26 08:54:15

Good morning from a sunny W Kent. Just to say due to some family things I shall be off air for a while lots of best wishes to all

brook2704 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:55:29

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry and bright
We’ve no wifi until at least Monday so it’s a very quick visit as I’m on the mobile data and it’s really slow. We’ll be off out later and I’ll take my iPad to a local cafe where there’s a good wifi signal and I’ll catch up on emails and news.
Try not to worry too much Jax good advice from marzipan
Hoping everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:56:40

Good morning everyone from a sunny south Manchester where I’ve already put a wash load out on a maiden (do you say clothes horse?) on my balcony.

I slept like the proverbial lucky me. I will be phoning my stepfather mid morning our usual daily call but especially so as he had a BCC removed from under his eyelid at the Manchester Eye Hospital yesterday. He coped tremendously and the staff were enamoured with him. Couldn’t believe his great age and that he lives independently.

No real plans today which is nice as we were at the hospital all day yesterday. My neighbour friend and I have arranged to go downstairs to my favourite bar at 5 o’clock for wine the round the corner to eat Lebanese food.

I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have her friendship in my life. We met 50+ years ago and serendipity brought her to live in this development 5 years ago. We get on so well and, as both of us have been widowed this year, it’s good to be close - geographically and emotionally. I love that we have a shared history, some overlapping of friends, memories of past times (working at the hospital plus social events) - we knew each others partners, mums and families.

It makes for a very comfortable friendship and the icing on the cake is that we are only two doors from one another - yet we don’t live in one another’s pockets either. Just the best under our circumstances.

harrigran Sat 26-Sept-26 09:01:59

Good morning from a sunny NE where it is 12° with an expected high of 17° this afternoon.
Didn't do much yesterday, just one load of washing that didn't need ironing.
DS contacted me last night to tell me that GD had again been awarded a merit at school for her excellent work. She has been at her new school three weeks and has three merits. Yesterday's was for a history quiz where she was more knowledgeable than the teacher 😄
Today DS and GD will visit after her driving lesson and spend the evening with me.
GD plays the piano and brings her violin too, she needs to practise for the orchestra.
DS plays the mandolin while he is here too.
Thoughts are with those with health problems.
Have a good weekend.

Marydoll Sat 26-Sept-26 09:10:31

Good morning all, it's 12°C in Glasgow, the sun is streaming through the blinds.
I was surprised to see the time, but DH let me sleep on, I had, yet another disturbed night,

Yesterday morning, didn't quite go to plan. Just before, I went out to the surgery, I started to feel very nauseous and was sick.
Of course DH was oblivious!
I did get out eventually.
I had just picked up my prescriptions from the surgery, when DD phoned, to say, the Main Street was gridlocked and to go nowhere near it.
My prescriptions, including a CD, had been lying for a week, so she offered to get them. I was so relieved, for I wasn't feeling too good.♥️

DD arrived just before DS and Babydoll, and I smiled at the two siblings chatting away very amicably.
DD was born, when DS was two and he used to be so annoyed at this tiny intruder, who had taken up so much of my time. They have always been prickly with each other.😉
DD had recently found a photo of DS standing over her, hands on hips, glowering. 🤣

Babydoll was her usual delightful self. She has become very independant, insisting on buttering her own bread. However, she kept licking the butter from the knife, so I said, that was dangerous, she might fall and get badly hurt.
Unphased, when I took the knife away, she said: I will be careful, and proceeded to spread the butter most of which went in her mouth with her finger.
She always get the last word.

DS and I were chatting in the kitchen, when DS asked me to peep into the living room.
DH and Babydoll were playing some game she had made up, involving a roll of sellotape, 🤷‍♀️, she was lying on his stomach ( it is rather round and comfortable ) ,screaming with delight.
Papa was having as much fun as she was.
It was such a tonic for him, he is still waiting to see a cardiologist and isn't too well.

DS brought beautiful flowers for me ♥️, but I had also bought flowers to cheer myself up. DD was delighted to leave with the flowers, I had bought myself, her usual Toblerone and the extra morning rolls I had bought for lunch. SIL, who works from home, was delighted with his unexpected lunch.
DD never leaves empty handed.🤣

Karma, my dentist packed my gum after my recent extraction, to try and prevent dry socket. She also advised rinsing with salt and water.
Four weeks later, my mouth is still painful, as are the the teeth beside the extraction.
Ibuprofen is not recommended for those over 65 (if you are), so be careful of how much you take.
Yesterday, my gum bled again, when I couldn't get the plate out.😪
I hope you feel better soon.

Helerskelter, I too find great solace in the garden. However, it has been a bit neglected recently, due to my ill health.

Best wishes to all, have a pleasant Saturday.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 09:19:01

Sorry to hear that luluaugust please take care of yourself, you’ll be missed x

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 09:29:20

In a rush this morning but, would just like to reassure everyone that dry sockets are quite rare after extractions and are usually the result of a 'traumatic' extraction.

The standard advice is to avoid hot drinks and biting down on the site.

And don't worry if you are due to have a molar removed.

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 09:31:19

And rinse with warm salt water, if necessary, as MD's dentist said.

hollysteers Sat 26-Sept-26 09:45:45

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast. I agree, this summer has flown by, and X* comes round every two months!

Art yesterday and lovely to see everyone after the break. I popped round on the off chance to see a sick friend as she lives near the venue, but didn’t go in as I still have traces of my cold.
Dropped a bag of jumble off at a charity shop and did a food shop. Had my photo taken for passport renewal, which gave me a fright. What a difference a smile makes!

Stomach still unsettled but couldn’t get through to the consultant to arrange a review of my hernia op’.
Off soon to a monthly market in the next village, although I should get on with things here. I’ve been in far too much recently and it’s a nice day.

Thoughts to HelterSkelter Karma and all🌺

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 09:59:53

Thank you for kind thoughts today. I did have a lovely day with DD2 and her darling dog. And coming home on the tube and train was seamless. The tube train was almost waiting for me and likewise the train and a scond connecting train. And a very large moon lit my way home on foot. Very comforting.

Marydoll Sat 26-Sept-26 10:01:03

Baubles, I have been off and on Alendronic Acid for over forty years. What your dentist is referring to is very rare! However, the dentist has a duty of care to advise you.

Listen to Kitty, her husband is a dental surgeon.

My mouth isn't healing because of my health conditions, nothing to do with Alendronic Acid or dry sockets.
You have enough to worry about, without this. 💗