Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 26th September 2026

(62 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 26-Sept-26 04:58:19

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark and dry start to the day here in Brackley .
My routine today is a early bus into Bicester, have a coffee and a snack , then do a shop and return home earlier .
Maybe have a beer or two at lunchtime , followed by world cycling road race for elite women from Montreal on TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Sept-26 12:41:41

Just to say to those who suffer with heart burn, years ago when I was pregnant and had heart burn, the midwife recommended sips of cold milk. It works and I still use it now if required.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Sept-26 12:40:22

A very late morning all from West Oxfordshire. It is a beautiful day and OH is in the garden cleaning a couple of his bee hives.

This is my third attempt to post! Even though I was saving the messages as I went along they still vanished.

Ripley the cat is alive and well. She didn’t come in for her dinner last night which is unusual. She and Milo are 16 and hardly go anywhere.

Have a good day.

Marydoll Sat 26-Sept-26 11:53:51

baubles

Thank you kitty and Marydoll, lump in throat now.

💗

Litterpicker Sat 26-Sept-26 11:34:37

Good morning Mick and all. Cloudy with a streak of blue sky here in East Lothian. I confess I am a little envious of those with warm weather in the south - it is what the summer should have been. It is a pleasant enough temperature here but I am wearing the first layer of winter clothes.

We had a lovely guided walk yesterday for National Rivers Day. Two experts from organisations involved in restoring river quality and in flood management pointed out various features along the route and I learnt so much about the problems caused by build-up of silt etc against weirs and the effects of past actions ‘straightening out’ rivers for industrial or agricultural purposes. The walk leaders and the other attendees were very supportive in their patience while DD manoeuvred her wheelchair along and around the more challenging bits of the route.

Baubles, Jaxjacky and anyone else having dental extractions, I have had several molars removed over the last few months. The most recent one healed very quickly and the others more slowly but without any severe pain - nothing a few paracetamol couldn’t control. I did get an infection in the first one but a course of antibiotics sorted it out and I think it was because I kept forgetting to do the salt rinse. I had a sheet of instructions from my dentist about avoiding hot drinks (but only for the first 24 hours) and not drinking through a straw etc. Now I am impatiently waiting for a new plate that will fit properly 🙂

I have been reading and typing to the usual joyous sound of the Saturday rugby matches outside. I am always glad when the spectating family and friends have dry weather!

We are planning a few days away in the campervan next week. Heading north-east to the Moray coast - Findhorn and pretty villages and harbours to the east.

Thoughts with all suffering whether in mind or body 💐.

GrandmaC47 Sat 26-Sept-26 11:06:13

Morning all. fgt I read everyday but as I go nowhere and do very little I don’t know what to write 🤣 ah yes, went out for lunch yesterday with my friend and very nice it was too.
Hope those in pain get some relief and those with problems find resolution.

GrannySomerset Sat 26-Sept-26 11:03:13

Session with the hygienist shortly and am still reeling from the fact that it will cost £91! Would reduce my attendance to twice a year but know that I make a lot of tartar and am desperate to hang on to my remaining teeth. My sympathy to Karma and anyone else with a painful mouth - at least I only have a pain in the wallet.

No other plans for the day - the washing is out, the garden tidy and there is nothing I have to do. Good thing I have plenty to read, including a much praised new book about Thomas and Oliver Cromwell. The sixteenth and seventeenth centuries await.

karmalady Sat 26-Sept-26 11:01:58

MD you put up with such a lot, you are such a wise and stoic person. So much unfair pain

My DD is also a dental surgeon and she did my extraction, we have a professional relationship as dentist/patient

I did get the standard advice sheet but there are some extra snippets that I picked up that have been most helpful and I have passed those on in my posts. The dry socket rate is 2-5% btw

My pain disappeared a few hours ago, no painkillers are needed now and my healing is excellent and quite quick. I did gentle salt water rinses after 24 hours, just tilting the head and open mouth to drain

I think the main things are not to use a straw and not to have more than lukewarm in the mouth and no fizzy drinks., ibuprofen was essential for my pain and I always made sure to get something into my stomach, to protect it somewhat. That pain disappeared too. Plenty of real rest, while the body works hard to heal. Sleeping slightly upright reduces pressure in that area too

Jaxjacky try not to be petrified, the procedure itself is painless. Be sure to rest afterwards and your mouth will feel better quite soon, take a day at a time

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 26-Sept-26 10:59:24

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

Michael12, the beers sound like a good idea to me!

I had a brilliant day off work yesterday, just bumming around, spending time at the waterfront with a flask of tea, did some colouring, and reading Twins of Evil by Shaun Hutson - a new novelisation from the Hammer films.

pbs.twimg.com/media/HTIiWaBXAAAYKAj?format=jpg&name=small

I had a sniff around the charity shops yesterday, didn't buy anything except a bunny mug for £2.00. Right! That's it! I MUST STOP BUYING MUGS!

I live alone, so there's no reason to have zillions of them, and I also have 3 in the bedroom for my fridge and kettle in there! There are also 2 mugs made by a local potter on my drinks cabinet!

Not had any newly recent PhD Bimbo moments!

I made friends with the most gorgeous little pet rabbit yesterday! She's in a pet pushchair because of disabilities and can't walk as she should be able to, so she's strapped into the pushchair. She's called Beady because of her beautiful little eyes, and she's SOOOOO adorable and fluffy!

Customers are coming in. See you later.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 26-Sept-26 10:44:12

Haste ye back luluaugust and all the best in the meantime. 💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 26-Sept-26 10:41:38

Good to see you’ve stuck with us WalthamstowinWaiting (do you mind if I abbreviate you to WiW? it’s so much quicker!)

So many posters over time have joined, been welcomed, then ditched us after all! 😮

baubles Sat 26-Sept-26 10:17:59

Thank you kitty and Marydoll, lump in throat now.

Marydoll Sat 26-Sept-26 10:01:03

Baubles, I have been off and on Alendronic Acid for over forty years. What your dentist is referring to is very rare! However, the dentist has a duty of care to advise you.

Listen to Kitty, her husband is a dental surgeon.

My mouth isn't healing because of my health conditions, nothing to do with Alendronic Acid or dry sockets.
You have enough to worry about, without this. 💗

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 09:59:53

Thank you for kind thoughts today. I did have a lovely day with DD2 and her darling dog. And coming home on the tube and train was seamless. The tube train was almost waiting for me and likewise the train and a scond connecting train. And a very large moon lit my way home on foot. Very comforting.

hollysteers Sat 26-Sept-26 09:45:45

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast. I agree, this summer has flown by, and X* comes round every two months!

Art yesterday and lovely to see everyone after the break. I popped round on the off chance to see a sick friend as she lives near the venue, but didn’t go in as I still have traces of my cold.
Dropped a bag of jumble off at a charity shop and did a food shop. Had my photo taken for passport renewal, which gave me a fright. What a difference a smile makes!

Stomach still unsettled but couldn’t get through to the consultant to arrange a review of my hernia op’.
Off soon to a monthly market in the next village, although I should get on with things here. I’ve been in far too much recently and it’s a nice day.

Thoughts to HelterSkelter Karma and all🌺

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 09:31:19

And rinse with warm salt water, if necessary, as MD's dentist said.

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 09:29:20

In a rush this morning but, would just like to reassure everyone that dry sockets are quite rare after extractions and are usually the result of a 'traumatic' extraction.

The standard advice is to avoid hot drinks and biting down on the site.

And don't worry if you are due to have a molar removed.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 09:19:01

Sorry to hear that luluaugust please take care of yourself, you’ll be missed x

Marydoll Sat 26-Sept-26 09:10:31

Good morning all, it's 12°C in Glasgow, the sun is streaming through the blinds.
I was surprised to see the time, but DH let me sleep on, I had, yet another disturbed night,

Yesterday morning, didn't quite go to plan. Just before, I went out to the surgery, I started to feel very nauseous and was sick.
Of course DH was oblivious!
I did get out eventually.
I had just picked up my prescriptions from the surgery, when DD phoned, to say, the Main Street was gridlocked and to go nowhere near it.
My prescriptions, including a CD, had been lying for a week, so she offered to get them. I was so relieved, for I wasn't feeling too good.♥️

DD arrived just before DS and Babydoll, and I smiled at the two siblings chatting away very amicably.
DD was born, when DS was two and he used to be so annoyed at this tiny intruder, who had taken up so much of my time. They have always been prickly with each other.😉
DD had recently found a photo of DS standing over her, hands on hips, glowering. 🤣

Babydoll was her usual delightful self. She has become very independant, insisting on buttering her own bread. However, she kept licking the butter from the knife, so I said, that was dangerous, she might fall and get badly hurt.
Unphased, when I took the knife away, she said: I will be careful, and proceeded to spread the butter most of which went in her mouth with her finger.
She always get the last word.

DS and I were chatting in the kitchen, when DS asked me to peep into the living room.
DH and Babydoll were playing some game she had made up, involving a roll of sellotape, 🤷‍♀️, she was lying on his stomach ( it is rather round and comfortable ) ,screaming with delight.
Papa was having as much fun as she was.
It was such a tonic for him, he is still waiting to see a cardiologist and isn't too well.

DS brought beautiful flowers for me ♥️, but I had also bought flowers to cheer myself up. DD was delighted to leave with the flowers, I had bought myself, her usual Toblerone and the extra morning rolls I had bought for lunch. SIL, who works from home, was delighted with his unexpected lunch.
DD never leaves empty handed.🤣

Karma, my dentist packed my gum after my recent extraction, to try and prevent dry socket. She also advised rinsing with salt and water.
Four weeks later, my mouth is still painful, as are the the teeth beside the extraction.
Ibuprofen is not recommended for those over 65 (if you are), so be careful of how much you take.
Yesterday, my gum bled again, when I couldn't get the plate out.😪
I hope you feel better soon.

Helerskelter, I too find great solace in the garden. However, it has been a bit neglected recently, due to my ill health.

Best wishes to all, have a pleasant Saturday.

harrigran Sat 26-Sept-26 09:01:59

Good morning from a sunny NE where it is 12° with an expected high of 17° this afternoon.
Didn't do much yesterday, just one load of washing that didn't need ironing.
DS contacted me last night to tell me that GD had again been awarded a merit at school for her excellent work. She has been at her new school three weeks and has three merits. Yesterday's was for a history quiz where she was more knowledgeable than the teacher 😄
Today DS and GD will visit after her driving lesson and spend the evening with me.
GD plays the piano and brings her violin too, she needs to practise for the orchestra.
DS plays the mandolin while he is here too.
Thoughts are with those with health problems.
Have a good weekend.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:56:40

Good morning everyone from a sunny south Manchester where I’ve already put a wash load out on a maiden (do you say clothes horse?) on my balcony.

I slept like the proverbial lucky me. I will be phoning my stepfather mid morning our usual daily call but especially so as he had a BCC removed from under his eyelid at the Manchester Eye Hospital yesterday. He coped tremendously and the staff were enamoured with him. Couldn’t believe his great age and that he lives independently.

No real plans today which is nice as we were at the hospital all day yesterday. My neighbour friend and I have arranged to go downstairs to my favourite bar at 5 o’clock for wine the round the corner to eat Lebanese food.

I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have her friendship in my life. We met 50+ years ago and serendipity brought her to live in this development 5 years ago. We get on so well and, as both of us have been widowed this year, it’s good to be close - geographically and emotionally. I love that we have a shared history, some overlapping of friends, memories of past times (working at the hospital plus social events) - we knew each others partners, mums and families.

It makes for a very comfortable friendship and the icing on the cake is that we are only two doors from one another - yet we don’t live in one another’s pockets either. Just the best under our circumstances.

brook2704 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:55:29

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry and bright
We’ve no wifi until at least Monday so it’s a very quick visit as I’m on the mobile data and it’s really slow. We’ll be off out later and I’ll take my iPad to a local cafe where there’s a good wifi signal and I’ll catch up on emails and news.
Try not to worry too much Jax good advice from marzipan
Hoping everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

luluaugust Sat 26-Sept-26 08:54:15

Good morning from a sunny W Kent. Just to say due to some family things I shall be off air for a while lots of best wishes to all

Usedtobeblonde Sat 26-Sept-26 08:45:41

Good morning from sunny Stockport.
I have had a disturbed night for no reason at all so will be tired today.
I have Sainsbury's today even though I only has a delivery on Tuesday. I realised I had missed a few things then, one being cat food. Guess what is not available?
I shall have to ask my S to call at Asda in the next few days. He is an Aldi shopper but they don't stock the brand my fussy cat prefers.

You have made me more determined to look after my teeth Karma I have never had a lower molar removed and now I certainly don't want to.
I hope you soon find some relief.

In the past I have experienced slight depression and a low mood and still tske the lowest dose of Citalopram daily so I sympathise with you HelterS it is so debilitating when it lasts for ages, I hope your mood soon lifts.
Grandmattie a strange day indeed. I gave lapses in memory occasionally but mine is due to old age.i hope you all have a decent day today, it is certainly getting Autumnal now.

WalthamstowinWaiting Sat 26-Sept-26 08:41:13

London calling!

Was very grateful yesterday that the weather remained much cooler than forecast, and this morning also feels a lovely temperature.

Free this morning and then working this afternoon. Osteopath appointment a gentle walk away in the village in an hour or so. Years of heavy lifting when nursing (decades ago now) mean that my back flares up every so often, although fortunately tai chi keeps it under control most of the time.

Hope everyone has the best day possible, around the various aches and pains.

Liberty Sat 26-Sept-26 08:34:17

Good morning from another sunny start to the day in Suffolk.Yesterday we enjoyed a walk on the beach and then delicious fish and chips in the beach cafe. Although not advertised on their menu I knew that they would do a small portion which I ordered and it was excellent.

DH said that the portion of haddock was the size of a normal one in most cafes. He enjoyed their usual size.

Apart from potting up some spring bulbs and our weekly Waitrose order, after a walk along the fields the day is mine to do as I like…..my kindle will get lots of use today.

I hope today is a positive one for all.