Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you worry about being indentified on Gransnet?

(93 Posts)
Desdemona Thu 24-Sept-26 22:17:44

I don't post much, but I worry about posting my individual problems and readers being able to work out who I am - I have a more than healthy dose of paranoia going on.

As a general discussion, do you watch what you post?

Desdemona Thu 24-Sept-26 22:19:12

I meant identified - indentified might mean something else.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:25:34

I changed my user name a couple of years back because I felt it identified me too much and feel happier with my new moniker. That said, my lifestyle choices are somewhat revealing and it wouldn’t take a Miss Marple long to work out who I am should anyone start wondering.

HeavenLeigh Thu 24-Sept-26 22:27:13

Never ever worry I don’t post about family situations or relationships my posts are lighthearted so it wouldn’t worry me at all

Fallingstar Thu 24-Sept-26 22:29:17

I watch what I post because I wouldn’t want my immediate family to think I was posting stuff about them without their knowledge. But because names are never used I imagine it is hard for anyone to figure out who is who. And I have always been a rather invisible person, moreso as I get older, not at all interesting enough or outstanding enough for people to remember me even if I have met them in person. So I doubt anyone will work out who I am, which I think is a good thing now I am too old to want anyone to be interested in me, but it did bother me when I was younger.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:29:50

You could camouflage your posts for example say ‘my cousin’ instead of ‘my daughter’ or refer to her as a he to disguise identities. Don’t mention anything when it’s your birthday, don’t reveal any holiday destination just say you’re off soon for some sunshine etc.

What bothers you the most? Pull up a chair and share. No one’s listening.

Well yes they are it’s a public forum …. 🤷‍♀️

Georgesgran Thu 24-Sept-26 22:30:31

Doesn’t worry or bother me at all. Some GNs meet up regularly, so I suppose they’ve self-identified.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:30:32

Since I go to meet-ups quite a number of people here do know who I am.

I am by nature a fairly open person, but I am careful not to put anything on GN, that I would be worried by if someone knew who I am

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:32:33

I imagine some of us don’t want to be identified by our family/friends or neighbours. Meet ups are okay I think. It’s different somehow.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:35:26

FGT I could find you very easily because of what you have posted over the years! You are safe because that is not something I would ever do!

I don't think anybody could find me, London is a gig place, and I am careful what I write.

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 22:36:25

Agreed.

For some reason I had an idea of two people who I wouldnt want to be identified by.
Non sense really.
One I have realised now, I dont think would read this forum.

The other person. He knows me so well anyway[not DH], that I am almost past the point of caring.

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 22:36:51

To 22.32pm post

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:41:54

Mind you Charleygirl you don’t actually ‘know’ me just tgat you could ‘find me’. Which wouldn’t worry me.

I’d be more concerned if a neighbour or friend said “you are FGT2 and I claim my £5 prize’!

My anonymity gives me the freedom to discuss my more innermost thoughts with gay abandon. No filters needed but that would be necessary if I felt someone I knew personally (not on GN) was watching me.

Sago Thu 24-Sept-26 22:42:21

I was really shocked when a regular poster inadvertently revealed exactly who she was.

I tried to DM her via Instagram, Gransnet and FB but she does not accept private messages.

In 5 minutes I had her name, her husbands name, her business and home address.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:43:27

Trump? Who’s he? 🤣

JenniferEccles Thu 24-Sept-26 22:44:05

Some people change their user name if they suspect they have been identified, which is understandable.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:45:08

Mind you Sago why would it matter? You’re not her friend and she didn’t reveal her PIN number or bank account details.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:46:12

Oh I see. You were trying to alert her so that any family/friends didn’t cop on.

lovethepuppies Thu 24-Sept-26 22:50:54

No, anything I've shared is generic enough it could apply to many people. It's possible my parents could think my support thread here is about them, but no-one else would recognise what is in there, and I've not posted things too specifically identifying in that.

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 23:13:04

Sago

I was really shocked when a regular poster inadvertently revealed exactly who she was.

I tried to DM her via Instagram, Gransnet and FB but she does not accept private messages.

In 5 minutes I had her name, her husbands name, her business and home address.

I told you you should have been a detective sago 😂

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 23:19:12

Not particularly bothered.

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Sept-26 23:48:14

It bothered me a while ago when someone in an exercise class rushed up and asked me if I was dragonfly46. I laid low for a while after that. Now I no longer have contact with her it no longer bothers me.
However, I am aware that, unlike FB this is an open forum so I am careful about revealing my exact location and when the am going to be away etc. I believe posting when you are away on social media invalidates your travel insurance.

merlotgran Fri 25-Sept-26 00:02:15

My family could find me on here easily enough if they wanted to but I bet they can’t be bothered. 🤷‍♀️

Chestnut Fri 25-Sept-26 00:10:19

I have seen some quite shocking posts in the past where highly intimate family details were posted and they were so graphic that if you knew the family I think you would easily identify them. It was personal medical information about family members, their behaviour towards each other, their relationships. I just don't know what possesses people to share so much private information about their nearest and dearest who might very well be mortified to know it had all been posted online.

Allsorts Fri 25-Sept-26 07:32:57

Post only what you feel comfortable with, if you went to meet ups some people might know you or the area in which you live therefore don't go. For some people if they have no one to confide in, they might divulge more than they intend and regret it.