Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 19th September 2026

(56 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Sept-26 04:55:47

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley .
Today , I have a coach trip to Crich Tramway Museum, near Matlock Bath ,should have around 4 hours there .
I myself are familiar with the area , as having had relatives on the Notts/Derby borders .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sat 19-Sept-26 05:17:50

Good morning from a dry, still dark Bristol.
I hope the weather holds for your day out, Mick.
There was a very short shower yesterday, enough to wet my washing! Fortunately, it dried easily in the wind after that.
I was very, very tired yesterday after a rubbish night, but my supposed “empty” was anything but that.
I had to change the towels, wash the clothes too, clean the floor…. Then 8 spent an hour preparing the fruit for my “High Humpsie Deary” jam. The recipe is from a 1952 WI book given to me in the 80s, costing 1/6; and, no, I have no idea why it’s called that. Apple, plum, pear - most likely from the remnants of the autumn harvest.
Then, I had lunch and a long nap.
I woke up to find that my lovely upstairs neighbour had got washing from the line, so it was hardly wet.
Barely awake, another neighbour came to me for approval of his letter to the council planning department, warning them the the resident manager’s house is likely to be sold to a tenant, did it need a “change of use” certificate…
I then prepared a tagine for dinner tonight as well as finished off the jam; it was a paid to set, but I ended up with 9 x 1lb pots, not much from 2kg of fruit.
The hairdresser came just as I finished potting. My hair was cut, during which the other two neighbours came for theirs.
Exhausted, I just sat for the rest of the day and went to bed early.
I had a better night, ready for today’s events: cleaning the church, coffee and chat, embroidering my initials and date on the now finished quilt.
My FAB cafe is joining us on a table for a quiz this evening and she is dining here with me before we walk to the URC. I’m hoping to have a quiet afternoon and nap before the late (for me) evening.
May your weekend be filled with happiness. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🌹🦩🦩🐦‍🔥

madeleine45 Sat 19-Sept-26 06:24:07

Good morning Michael and all GN's on a very dark still morning in North Yorkshire. Cant see a thing yet and I know there is promise of rain but no sound yet of it starting.

I am in a mixture of feelings today from sadness , tiredness, miserably reluctant to have to accept reality and annoyance. I have had another horrible night with very little sleep at all. My legs are hurting and I have had to very reluctantly accept, that there is no way I could get round Stokesly show today, and it would be both a waste of money and no doubt frustrate me even more if I tried to go and couldnt get round. Cant even go to the smaller egglestone show either, but I am definitely going to do something! There are still some free open places this weekend for the heritage openings, so I shall see how I get going and may get down to Beningborough or somewhere, where hopefully they will have a buggy that I can borrow to go round.

I know that I am being sensible for once, but I cope with difficulties like a child. When you see a child closing their eyes and humming a tune so that they can say they dont hear what they dont want to. Well I have spent the last few years as I have got worse physically by doing the equivalent, pretending that whatever was happening was just a one off, and not having to accept that I am finding getting round independantly difficult, and when I cant ignore the pain, acknowledging that this is how things are now.

Ah well , maybe things might improve, but I know how much I enjoy the country shows and looking back over this year, havent had a good record of going to many and Muker show did make me face the facts this year. Well, if I have to accept the inevitable, I shall still defiently go out and ignore the mess here for now. I will enjoy some countryside at least.
Well I have my quick picnic of a Kitsons pork pie, bought with plans for the show.

So back to yesterday. Struggled quite a lot physically all day. I had to work out the plan of least effort, and so sallied forth on the yellow peril early, buying fresh bread and a fresh pork pie for todays picnic. I then went on to the library for the bocca session. Only it didnt turn out to be bocca but a curling game. I have always fancied ice curling having watched it on tv and at an ice rink, but knowing not much chance of doing it with all the bending etc. However this was played with curling stones on wheels and a stick to push it with onto the target zone. The other people had all played before and it took me a few goes to be able to measure distance etc., using the stick not bending, but I soon got the idea and enjoyed the game very much. We made up two teams and so it was both the intention to land nearest to the middle and to , at the same time, knock opponents out of the ring. When it comes to competions I am always full on trying to win, and there were two men and one woman , who had obviously played the real thing before and bowled, so the level of play was quite high Suited me down to the ground, as I had something that I could play with malice aforethought! It is going to be my disabled version of a game to excel at , as squash was in years gone by! Definitely a good release of energy to look into for the future.

So whilst I was there the librarian came up to speak to me , regarding the complaint about getting into the library etc etc. She has been pleased with the letter, which has allowed her to use it to get in touch with her bosses and they are meant to be improving the facilities at the library shortly, so this letter will hopefully be a start for improvement. After that, I determined to go home, via the council offices and chivvy up the appropriate people regarding the state of the roads and the hotel with false information etc. Driving round the building on the yp, I was trying to see the appropriate entrance, when a lady getting out of the car in the car park, asked if she could help as she worked there. Low and behold, although she herself did not deal with such complaints herself, she worked in the department, and took down various particulars with promises of further action and letting me know how things were going along, and agreed with me that the state of the roads and pavements were a disgrace. So I actually came home, physically in quite a bad state but very pleased with the days efforts.

I had wanted to do a bit in the garden as it was very windy but dry, but couldnt , and actually did very little other than read the paper from cover to cover, and noting various things going on in the villages etc. Was in pain for much of the day and so did take a painkiller before going to bed, but it had little effect and what sleep I did get , has not improved my ability to get around. Well at some point today I shall find myself up on the top of the moor or somewhere remote and be able to shout, swear and scream for a few minutes to relieve feelings!!

The sky is very slowly lightening a little, and there is a little breeze moving the branches so far. Cant see any signs of squirrel or pigeons. Hope you enjoy your trip to the tram museum Mick. I used to live in that area when I worked for British Midland Airways at castle donnington. GrandMattie , sounds as though you had a tough day yesterday and hope that you can have a better day today. In fact I wish all GN's a day of something positive and something pleasant and will come back to read some of the posts later.

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 06:51:50

Good morning from s somerset, dull and drizzle today, not nice

It was a good day yesterday, my deliveries arrived safely and my tasks were done. I did some clearing in the garden, washed the last of the pots and now the garden and I are ready for autumn. My knitting is getting on very well, I do like soft merino on my skin, even though it will bobble

I don`t know what I am doing today, instinct is telling me to cycle to my allotment, I might do that. I did think of getting the bus to Wells but it is too long a time on the bus. If I don`t get to the allotment than I will face the drizzle and just go on a town walk. I have a book to read and can always potter in the house

GM you are doing too much and Madeleine you are wanting to do too much. Neither of you have the calm acceptance that can come with old age. Whizzy busy in body and brain is not good for aging cells and body. I have been wanting to say this for a while but I don`t want either of you to become ill

Susan56 Sat 19-Sept-26 06:53:48

Good morning from Shropshire.A bit of a cooler start today.

Today is my mum’s 94th birthday.It won’t be much of a celebration due to the deterioration in her condition but we will spend some time with her and hope it’s one of her better days.

Wishing everyone the best day possible🌻🦩

RosesandLilac Sat 19-Sept-26 06:56:46

Good morning, it’s a bit damp here in south Glos, hopefully more rain today.
Oh dear Madeleine, I really do feel for you 🤗. If I lived closer I’d happily come and help you get to the shows, I haven’t been to one for many years. I do hope things improve soon x
grandMattie I love that quilt, you really are so talented.
My hospital appointment went well, for the first time ever I drove straight to the hospital with very little traffic, no holdups anywhere! Most peculiar at that time of day 😊
The lump is fatty ( who knew you could get p a fatty lump on your shin? I’m not even overweight and my legs aren’t fat!
So, all good 👍
I gave away a large bag of assorted plastic containers yesterday, the cupboard is tidy. The freezer is sorted, I don’t need to buy any meat, fish etc for at least 6 weeks, I need to run it right down, so that’s good.
I need to get back to doing proper cooking, not a problem.
Today I have nothing planned, I think it’s going to be a damp/wet day so I will find plenty to do indoors.
Have a lovely weekend 🌹

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 07:01:01

Oh wonderful about the lump being fatty, very good news indeed RosesandLilac

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Sept-26 07:11:25

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 11° and damp. Madeleine I think of the Dylan Thomas lines 'rage,rage against the dying of the light.' Keep raging. Susan 💐
Yesterday my car was serviced, washed and hoovered. The house was hoovered too. The bathroom cleaned, the ironing done. I also cleared out a shelf in my bookcase. So a successful day.
Today is my birthday. I'm meeting my friend and her daughter for breakfast at the garden centre. This afternoon dd is bringing round the boys to wish me happy birthday then tonight dd and dsil are taking me out for dinner. Ds is coming to see me tomorrow. My aunt and uncle delivered flowers yesterday when I was out. So a very pleasant day ahead. Have a good day all.

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Sept-26 07:13:26

GrandMattie I meant to say I love your 'fishy' quilt!

luluaugust Sat 19-Sept-26 07:15:30

Good morning from an overcast W Kent. A little light shopping this morning and then a cake to make this afternoon.
Honestly gM and Madeleine I don’t know how you do so much I seem to just run out of steam now.
Best wishes

Bellasnana Sat 19-Sept-26 07:16:15

Good morning from Malta where it is cloudy with a forecast high of 32°C.

The heavens opened yesterday just as DD3 arrived at 7.45am to drop the boys off.

DGS1 had his hands over his ears as he was scared of the thunder which was very loud, and poor DD3 dropped their lunch so pasta sauce was washed away.

It was quite fierce for some time and the road looked like a rushing river, but the boys were fine and even played outside when it died down as they wanted to use the small umbrellas I have kept from my own children and DGD.

We had a good day, the sun came out again by noon amd they went home at 4pm.

My niece gave birth to her little girl at 3.45am yesterday weighing 2.9kgs. I’ve had a photo and she really is a beautiful baby. I felt emotional as she is the 6th grandchild my darling sister didn’t get to meet. She hasn’t got a name yet but I expect it will be something ‘unusual’ to match her older brother and sister.

I’m having coffee with a friend this morning and need to get a move on as she always likes to meet early and, of course, I have slept in today.

Rain is threatening again do hope I stay dry. It’s too hot to put a raincoat on!

The boys are coming for a sleepover tonight.

I will. now hurriedly drink my tea and read your posts.

Hope you all have a good day.💕

Gingster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:23:35

Good morning and I’m getting ready to, like Mick, to go on a coach outing. It’s with the church group and we go somewhere every year.
This year it’s to Leonardslee gardens near Horsham, Sussex.
🎶‘and I think it’s going to rain today’. 🎶.

Typical isn’t it as we’ve been praying for rain. Never mind it will be nice to have the company of lots of friends .

Karma I do so agree with you but ……look who’s talking??? 😂.
Please ladies just learn the art of relaxation and just
‘Sit’ for a while.

I hope you all have a good day.
🌻🍁

Bellasnana Sat 19-Sept-26 07:25:21

Wishing you a very happy birthday dear Grandmabatty. I hope you have the lovely day you so deserve.🎂🥂🍾🥳

brook2704 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:28:28

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where I think it’s a dry cloudy start to the day
A very Happy Birthday grandmabatty enjoy your special day today with friends and family 💕🥂🎂💐
Thank you all for your kind wishes yesterday, I arrived safely at DD1s early evening and was picked up at the newly opened Cambridge South station. Pizza dinner with the family and then watched a film on their tv screen. They’ve one of these big pull down screens that they project the image onto so it’s really like being at the cinema. Not sure what’s planned for today, the boys both have early football matches so will see them later. First though I need to wander down to the kitchen and get a cup of tea
Great news roses, so good to have the all clear
Just waiting to hear from Dh at home as what he’s got planned for today - I did leave a list ….. 😂
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

ginny Sat 19-Sept-26 07:28:56

Good morning. It sounds as if it is rather windy outside.
Lovely day yesterday at Waddesdon Manor, a beautiful NT property. Ended up with the company of two DDs.
Happy birthday Grandmabatty.
Today we shall do our local food shop although we need very little as we go away on Monday. I have a pedicure appointment later DD2 will be here this afternoon so that I can alter a dress for her. I hope to do some packing too.
This evening we are going to friends.
Wishing all a good day.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Sept-26 07:29:09

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Yesterday was busy with a visit to the Hairdresser, a quick shop in Waitrose and some time hand quilting my enormous quilt.

I am not due to go anywhere today. I have a stack of ironing. It’s my turn to cook dinner - maybe toad in the hole and more quilting.

Have a good day. Autumn seems to have arrived.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Sept-26 07:30:06

Happy birthday G’batty! 🎉

Gagagran Sat 19-Sept-26 07:31:11

Good Morning everyone from the central south coast. It seems we had some rain overnight. Always seems to happen when the window cleaner has been!.
He cleaned the inside of the large patio doors too and we had an interesting chat. He is Hungarian and has been in the UK for 15 years and loves it. He goes back on holiday but would never wish to live there again. He is a hard worker and very obliging. He told me about his four sons and how he couldn't speak for two days after the fourth one was born as he had wished for a daughter so much!

DH has a coffee and cake ride this morning with his cycle club but I have nothing much on the agenda apart from family and friends telephone calls and WhatsApp messaging. Something will crop up - it always does.

Kind thoughts to all our GNs with struggle or worries of any kind and hope that we all have the best day possible.

Greyduster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:40:17

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it has been raining by the the look of it. I hope you enjoy your trip today, Mick. I remember trams from being a small child and so it was very nostalgic for me when we visited.

Last night’s performance of King Lear at the Crucible was mesmerising and brought a standing ovation for Ian McDiarmid and the cast. I drove over to DDs in awful weather so that I could go with them in their car, and drove back in dark and pouring rain too. No fun at all.

I intend to have a very quiet weekend. Just a bit of shopping to stock up my new fridge, and then ‘suck it and see’. I hope to speak to DS at some point.

RosesandLilac I had a “fatty lump” on my shin and got very worked up about it. The doctor said it would go away on its own, and it did.

Have the best day you can, folks.

Marzipan22 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:40:59

Good morning from Cornwall where it's overcast and a bit damp and I've made it out to my patio in my Dry Robe. Yay!!! The nurse at the surgery put a different dressing on my feet and they're so much more comfortable. So today I'm Going Out Somewhere. Because the world is my Cornish oyster living where I do I must rein myself in and not run before I can hobble. There's a wonderful specialist nursery on an easy bus route, with a pop up café (home-made cakes, yum) and I know that among their hundreds of plants they have a compact verbena plant I want, so I think I'll venture there.

Last evening I had a sudden visit from my 10-year-old granddaughter. I sewed while she drew horses. It was peaceful and relaxing which she loves. I do wonder about her future - I asked her about the layout of her school and she proceeded to lie on my rug and use six A4 sheets to draw a complex plan of the school. An architect in the budding maybe?

Yesterday a blackbird came and started eating the berries on my pyracantha. 14 in one go this time, though I've seen it devour 30 at a time. Oof.

Well, I'd better go and get ready for my Great Adventure, all six miles there and back. 😃

Greyduster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:41:37

Happy Birthday, Grandmabatty🎉🎈🎂. Enjoy your day!

Gagagran Sat 19-Sept-26 07:42:50

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty. Glad you are having some nice treats and hope the gall bladder doesn't spoil your dinner this evening!
I had mine removed in 1982 (huge surgical scar as no laparoscopy in those days) I still have to be careful and avoid acidic, spicy or rich foods.

I also echo the kindly meant advice to GM and Madeleine. by concerned posters above.

Redcar Sat 19-Sept-26 07:43:02

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. It’s mild out, with some blue sky and quite a lot of cloud. It looks as though it will be a warm and dry week ahead.
Yesterday’s bingo session was good, especially as I won some cash! Always nice to see friends and catch up on village gossip!
A few gardening tasks planned for today but nothing too strenuous. Both DDs and families are busy today but hope they’ll call in tomorrow.

Happy Birthday grandmabatty I hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating!

susan I hope that your mother has as enjoyable a birthday as is possible for her and that it’s not too distressing for you.

Good news for you rosesandlilac! And well done for getting rid of the plastic containers!

What can I say madeleine, it must be so hard to accept that physical disabilities prevent you from doing the things you have always done and would love to be able to continue to do. I hope you can find somewhere interesting to go today that doesn’t make your pain worse. Don’t give up!

Thinking of those who are struggling and hoping that life gets a bit easier for you today.

Have as good a day as possible everyone.

Ashcombe Sat 19-Sept-26 07:47:36

Good morning from a dull and breezy Torbay.

Yesterday we had lunch at a local bistro which is a manageable walk for me. In the evening we attended a wedding reception locally for a young couple whom we met at our local (The Babbacombe Inn) where they both worked. We felt honoured to be invited and were made very welcome.

I hope you enjoy your respective coach trips, Mick and Gingster.

Happy birthday, Grandmabatty!

I hope you see a flicker of recognition in your dear Mum today, Susan56.

Unlike our busy grans, including those who admirably care for grandchildren, I need no encouragement to sit - my arthritic joints ensure that - although I recognise the importance of keeping moving.

DH and I are on duty today for the matinée performance of The Mirror Crack’d, our theatre’s contribution to the Agatha Christie festival being celebrated currently. It has been very popular with a few full houses this week so we expect to be busy. DH is manager whilst I’m a steward.

Happy weekend, everyone! 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Sept-26 07:52:02

Morning from S Hants, dry and due to be windy again like yesterday.
Happy Birthday Grandmabatty 🎂🥂, have a lovely day and evening.
More pruning was done yesterday, it was quite chilly in that wind, the courgette needs to come out, it’s done. The whole raised vegetable bed will have muck dug in and left over winter.
Tesco delivered everything yesterday so all stocked up. I’ll be cooking chicken and leek today, it’ll be frozen as the basis of a pie for next week when my brother visits.
Might call in the local later, MrJ played bowls last night.
Good news R&L
🦩