Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 19th September 2026

(57 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Sept-26 04:55:47

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley .
Today , I have a coach trip to Crich Tramway Museum, near Matlock Bath ,should have around 4 hours there .
I myself are familiar with the area , as having had relatives on the Notts/Derby borders .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

latedecember1963 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:55:10

Good morning everyone from a damp Lancashire.

Happy birthday, Grandmabatty. Hope you have a lovely day. 🎂

Happy birthday to your Mum, Susan. Even if she doesn't know exactly that it's her birthday, hopefully she'll have a sense that she's being made an extra fuss of and is loved. 💕

The finished quilt is very striking, GrandMattie. I love the turquoise.

I'm sorry you can't go yo your planned show, Madeleine. Do you have a friend who lives locally who you could have days out with so that you have some back up if you need some assistance?
You sound fiercely independent, just like my Mum was, and I know it's hard to realise that sometimes people are happy to help but don't want to step on people's feelings.

I'm glad your cataract operation went well, BlueSaphire. Take it carefully, but you know the routine by now.

What lovely news about your great niece, Bellasnana. I know what you mean about your sister missing out. I've always thought my Dad would have loved my children if he'd lived long enough to meet them.

Yesterday some of you said about missing children/ grandchildren after the summer holiday. I was exactly the same with my 2. I loved the break in routine during the holidays and enjoyed their company.
Because I worked in education I didn't have the stress of trying to fit a few weeks annual leave across the holidays which probably helped!

I'm not sure what our plans are today.
DD is here for the weekend so we'll see what she fancies.

Enjoy your jaunt to the transpirt museum, Mick. I hope the weather is kinder, than your wet trip to Bath.

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:58:06

Good morning Mick and all

I hope the trip goers have a fab day and stay dry.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty 🎂🍾🌺🥂

A quick local shop this morning, then waiting for my sister and her family to arrive. Lots of chat and a stroll up the road to a nice Mediterranean restaurant. They are staying over so no rush home.

Lovely quilt Grandmattie

Thinking of those with troubles or illness 🌺

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:00:04

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s wet we had rain intermittently during the night and today more showers are forecast with a high of 19°C. A watery sun is trying to make an appearance.

Youngest daughter and son in law are off to Chester races today. Their annual trip, staying over in a nice hotel with a table booked for dinner at Hickory’s. Their annual trip Boy Wonder has a football match so another of the dads will bring him home so I’ll be with L’il Miss only until he gets in. I’ve been warned he’ll be ravenous! Mid afternoon our Yorkshire Lass and her husband are taking up the baton and staying overnight with the children.

I’m grateful. I seem to have lost my confidence for ‘overnighters’ there without Himself. Funny isn’t it how we can appear brave or confident about some things yet not others?

Many happy returns of the day to you Grandmabatty nice to be made a fuss of. You are well loved. Riches beyond rubies indeed.

Gelisa Sat 19-Sept-26 08:04:13

Good morning from a wet Morecambe Bay. It promises to dry up later and become very windy.
Yesterday’s trip to the Preston garage went well, with the only delay on the road being behind a long line of traffic that could not get past a couple of traditional rather beautiful horse drawn gypsy caravans. Despite there being no charge for the work, they washed the car as well.
Today we have some turf to pick up to patch our grass. The original field grass was coming through in places so that’s has been weed killed. I will dig that out and put the new turf in place. If I get that done quickly I will get a client’s grass cut. DH is still not up to doing it.
A very Happy Birthday Grandmabatty good news from R&L Another beautiful quilt GMattie I don’t know how you do it the only quilt I’ve ever done took me about 5 years though I did it all by hand.
Enjoy your trip Mick and everyone else, take care🌸

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:08:24

Good morning from a dull Leicestershire.

I have two magpies pecking at my lawn. I suspect I have leatherjackets which is a nuisance as I have a new mower being installed on Tuesday.
I will pour some soapy water ion it later and see what comes to the surface.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty and I hope you have a good day with your mum Susan.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Liberty Sat 19-Sept-26 08:12:57

Good morning from a dull and,as yet,dry Suffolk. We are definitely slowing down and sleeping more as the days shorten.

I hope to be able to get into the garden for more tidying up and sorting out and perhaps some ironing. Apart from that no plans so a restful day beckons.

We had a delicious afternoon tea in Norwich yesterday and came home with 3 boxes of things we couldn’t eat there.

Happy birthday GrandmaBatty and I hope Mick and Gingster have good trips today and all have a pleasant day.

Marydoll Sat 19-Sept-26 08:23:55

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow, where is is 12°C.
My cough has gotten worse this morning, it sounds awful. It sounds like, not just one dog, but a whole pack of dogs. 😣

Birthday greetings, GMB. Have a lovely day!

Susan, I hope your visit to your mum isn't too upsetting.♥️

Great news, R&L!

I have to kindly concur with Karma (I have the nerve to comment), GMB, your words resonated with me. I too, am raging at the hand, life has dealt me. I hate being an old lady, because I have the brain of a younger person.😉
In the last year, I have gone from hardly being in, to confined to the house so much more.
However, I am learning to adapt, prioritise and accept that things will not fall apart, if I don't do them.
It is good to feel needed, but not at the expense of one's own health.

This week alone, I have turned down a number of requests from bossy parishioners and told them, I am too unwell to help. They were shocked, One had the cheek to imply that I wasn't ill, because I look so well.
It was difficult, but I felt a sense of relief.

My health is so unpredictable, that I no longer make plans. Yesterday, we went to the surgery, Home Bargains and TKMaxx.
In TKMaxx, I picked up a lovely pair of ballet pumps for £24. Later I looked them up online: rrp £149!! A bargain indeed. --However, not much use if I can't get out.

We popped into Costa, because I was flagging.
When we got home, I felt dreadful and had to rest, before I could go for my prescriptions. The rest of the day was spent lying in the conservatory.
Learning to pace oneself is not easy.

I have Vigil Mass tonight, but plan to rest. I am up to date with my parish admin, apart from sending out the bulletin today and updating the website.

I wish you all a pleasant day, whatever your plans.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Sept-26 08:27:26

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Autumnal and Equinoxical. My barometer says unsettled

I took the day off house things and joined the U3A outing to Prestonpans Museum and battlefield.
We had booked a tour with a rivetting guide truly . He spoke for almost 2 hours and could have gone on longer. It was so good.
Highly recommend.
We had tea in the garden of Cockenzie House.

I baked my usual offering for today's coffee morning and now I shall pick flowers. There's a street fair on today which I shall try to avoid.....

Happy birthday. Grandmabatty I hope you have a lovely day with everyone.

I'm glad your lump wasn't serious R& L. and glad your feet are healing Marzipan

I think of Marydoll too and hope the medication is working.

I hope everyone has some joy this weekend.
The picture was taken from the pyramid overlooking the battlefield in 1745. the Jacobites won

monk08 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:29:18

Good morning all from the Black country.
Lovely quilt grandMattie.
Yesterday managed to get the front garden sorted and the lawn mowed before we had more rain.
No plans as yet but sure something will come along to keep me occupied and I've always got plenty to read.
Best wishes for anyone celebrating, safe travels those on the move and virtual hugs where needed.
Will catch up with everybody's happenings later but the usual Saturday full English is calling so have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans.

Harris27 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:35:35

Good morning from a peaceful north east. Decided to go to Northallerton today if hubby ever gets out of bed. The weather is starting to change and my thoughts are turning to autumn. We have such beautiful tress around us and the leaves are changing daily. Happy birthday grandmabatyy.🌺 have a good weekend all.

GrandmaC47 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:36:53

Happy Birthday, Grandmabatty 💐🎂
Hope everyone has a good day

cornergran Sat 19-Sept-26 08:47:14

Good morning all from a cloudy corner of Somerset.

A very happy birthday grandmab. Sounds a super time 🎈🍷🎂

Excellent news r&l. I’m relieved for you.

Have the best day you can everyone.

baubles Sat 19-Sept-26 08:52:23

Good morning from dull and breezy South Lanarkshire.

Our monthly market has been cancelled due to the weather, high winds and rain forecast for today. Yesterday DH and I were absolutely drenched on our dog walk, my ten year old Seasalt raincoat is definitely no longer waterproof.

Happy birthday to you Batty, enjoy your celebrations with the family.

I’m not sure what today will bring, having to go with the flow.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 19-Sept-26 09:00:46

Good morning from Stockport.
Dry now but rain promised, yesterday was wet.
The men turned up to finishboff the work in the garden, I think they were shocked at just how sharp and to to the point an 89 year old can be when she is annoyed.
They drove off afterwards without a word not knocking or ringing the bell to say they were off.
Now the work is finished I can leave a review about the company but giving credit to the workers.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty I hope you enjoy your day.
Susan so sad about your mother it is bittersweet for yoo.

I agree with posters about some of you doing far too much or at least trying to.
Acceptance is the key to enjoying old age,I learnt that sometime ago and ,for me at least, it works.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Stilllearning Sat 19-Sept-26 09:10:12

Good morning from South Lanarkshire. it’s been quite a confusing time here so I’ve just been trying to read and keep up. Happy Birthday Grandmabatty, and thank you for the kind compliment you paid me last week, it was much appreciated.

Your holiday sounded perfect to me Ladyleftfieldlover, I could just see it.

Marzipan your injuries sounded really horrible, I’m glad to read this morning that you are able to plan an outing. Your DGD’s ability to draw such a large plan of her school is impressive!

Kind thoughts to HelterSkelter and fgt, very hard times for you both.

My nice news is that my DGS1 moved down from Connel into his student accommodation last week to start his course at Glasgow Uni, so I’m looking forward to using the excuse of adding him to the lunches I have with DGD2 who is already there and seeing him more often.

Hope everyone whether going on outings or staying at home, have a good weekend.

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Sept-26 09:12:53

Good morning everyone from a very overcast and dull Northampton. No plans to go anywhere today, as still want to take it easy after my eye surgery. Still suffering a little irritation and a bloodshot eye, and my vision is not quite as I expected, but at least the cloudiness and 'colour-cast' has gone. Obviously still need glasses for reading. Getting used to the 7 eye drops a day routine again!

Wishing all a pleasant Saturday, especially Mick on his outing to Derbyshire.

Susan56 Sat 19-Sept-26 09:14:17

Happy birthday Grandmabatty 🥳🎂🍾🥂I hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating with your family.x

Thank you for your kind wishes for my visit to mum today.You are all so kind.

kittylester Sat 19-Sept-26 09:17:09

Good morning all from a cloudy North Leicestershire.

Many happy returns of the day, GBatty.

We have DD2 and family here. Some going to the match later and some of us staying at home to watch Strictly.

Georgesgran Sat 19-Sept-26 09:23:30

Good morning from a cool, windy Durham. Had a look at a new car yesterday, I must look as poor as a Church mouse, as no salesperson seemed bothered to help.
Another poor night after a meal out with DGS1 - he loved his I❤️NY hoodie and wore it all night. I had dreadful reflux and my pulled muscle seemed 10 times worse by the time I got home.

I collected DD2’s Little Dog on my way back - I’ll keep him for the weekend, as he’s often just left at home while she’s out with DGS2 - football and a party today.

🎂GMB enjoy your day.
Do I sense a fat rascal Harris?

Best wishes to all. X

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Sept-26 09:28:06

Happy birthday Grandmabatty 🎉💐🎉

aggie Sat 19-Sept-26 09:31:43

Good morning from a wet Co Armagh, the sun is well hidden
I bought some violas and shoved them into any gaps i could see , they are usually good in pots but I had gaps in the raised bed
Yesterday was a mix of delight and frustration , I couldn’t manage my bag of art stuff up the stairs , other students carried it up for me , so kind of them !
The welcome back was so nice ,my friend and I missed a year but still fitted back as if we never left
I hope the day pans out for all in a good way

luluaugust Sat 19-Sept-26 09:40:45

Happy birthday Grandmabatty hope you have a great day.
Thinking of you Susan hope the day goes well
Marydoll Hope the tablets help

NannyJan53 Sat 19-Sept-26 10:48:00

Good morning from a much brighter Black Country.

It started to rain yesterday just as I left for my hair appointment. Still tipping it down as I left 2 hours later. So caught bus back as stop is only 3 mins walk to home.

We are going into Birmingham tonight for a meal out as it is my 73rd birthday tomorrow 😱. He has booked the restaurant we had our very first meal together way back in 2012. Then staying overnight in a Hotel.

Just pottering around home today. Lunch will be the Tomato soup I made yesterday which was delicious.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 10:56:58

You are right to not make too many plans these days MD getting out of bed can be a feat as we age and especially if ill. I don`t make many plans any more, I write a few hopes on the daily thread but I can change my mind in an instant. I very much go with the flow and keep my head down locally

Self-preservation is absolute key these days, we all want to live another day. Many a time I am just quiet, I don`t ever do too much for my body, although it must seem as though I do when squashed into a few sentences

Marydoll Sat 19-Sept-26 11:05:59

Self-preservation is absolute key these days,

Karma, you have hit the nail on the head!