Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 19th September 2026

(57 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Sept-26 04:55:47

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley .
Today , I have a coach trip to Crich Tramway Museum, near Matlock Bath ,should have around 4 hours there .
I myself are familiar with the area , as having had relatives on the Notts/Derby borders .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Redcar Sat 19-Sept-26 22:46:13

madeleine that sounds like a lovely day and a good compromise! Sleep well tonight 🤞.

monk08 Sat 19-Sept-26 20:14:22

madeleine so glad you had an enjoyable day, hope you found a better place for your car and you sleep better tonight.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 19-Sept-26 19:57:47

madeleine your day out sounded delightful. I’m glad you enjoyed it and it’s obvious you are a much valued and yes, loved member of this thread. I hope after your expedition you can relax your mind tonight and mange to sleep better.

madeleine45 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:20:37

I am home and catching up with all your posts. Thankyou all for your kind concern, and I actually ended up using some common sense (not something I tend to do when I feel fed up about things!) The weather has actually been windy but warm and quite nice today, and I recognised that I would be totally stupid to try to go to Stokesley, but knew that if I stayed at home I would feel miserable etc. So after checking up and sorting out a picnic , I took myself off to Beningborough , a NT place on the way to York, I had forgotten that Sutton Bank is closed at the moment, as they are doing maintenance work on it, so that meant that the A19 was very busy and added to that there was a car boot sale on so rather slow getting there. However I had rung and arranged to use a buggy, so a bit later than I had hoped to be there. but was fine when I got there.

I didnt try to go into the house, but took my sandwiches and drink and mac and jumper all packed in a bag with the Yorkshire Post and set off. Very windy, and my hair kept blowing into my face. I had put off getting it cut this week , but today showed me I need to get it done! However it was very good to be able to go around. It is sometime since I have been there, and there was a new part of the garden being made. Had a lovely time meandering round the garden, seeing how well the figs were growing and the fruit trees . There were some lovely late flowers and some very large squashes doing well. I was pleased to see lots of children enjoying the garden and they also had made a rather nice new play area with woven branches and swings etc etc and they have set up some brush areas , where they are filling gaps with both green and brown cuttings to encourage more wildlife. The perovskia - russian sage - was looking lovely and there were a good variety of the slightly smaller and browner sunflowers swaying in the breeze. It all smelt lovely and as I meandered around , trying to avoid the very bumpy cobbles it was very calming and I tried not to think about missing the horses etc at the show. I eventually found myself a sheltered bit where there was no one around and was happy to shift from the buggy to sit on a chair in the sunshine and read my paper, so I did take it easy in the end. With it being the Heritage weekend, it only cost me the fuel, and my halo was shining brightly as I managed to avoid looking at the books and plants for sale!! Medal Medal! Had an easy run home, not a lot of traffic around as I think most would have been at either of the two shows on today, so have now landed at home, just dumped bags down and couldnt find a parking space, so will give it a little while and hope that someone is a visitor and will disappear so that I can put the car in the better place.

So I actually feel a lot calmer, and have enjoyed my day, whilst still a bit sad not to go to the show. I am grateful for that lovely autumn weather, where we were warm enough, but not too hot and I am not planning on any great efforts now. If I feel up to it, I might make an onslaught onto the ironing, but at the moment just quite happy to take it easy. Thankyou all for your concern, and I think part of the problem is that when my husband was alive , he would either say he wanted a quiet day, or make a suggestion that we could sensibly consider, Somehow being on my own, without his lovely caring but common sense, I can get really stupidly determined to do things, You might think by my age I would have learnt some common sense. Ah well I am very glad I have you all to remind me of other ways of going on, and a day like today, does remind me that I can still have a happy day, if not the one I hoped for. Hoping you have all had a good day and that tomorrow is another good day for everyone. Thankyou all for your thoughts. It is good to know that there is someone around.

GrannySomerset Sat 19-Sept-26 13:08:45

Absolutely spot on, Karma. I have been to the supermarket, done a load of washing and swept the front step and drive. That’s definitely it for today so far as activity is concerned; my book and a doughnut figure this afternoon.

Litterpicker Sat 19-Sept-26 12:02:06

Happy Birthday to Grandmabatty and Susan’s Mum 🎂🍾💐.
Glad to hear your ‘lump’ is harmless R&L. My DH has had similar on his arms.

Marydoll, I’m glad you are learning to say “no”! I hope you have a better day.

Grammaretto, I keep meaning to go to the museum at Prestonpans. I will check out the guided tours.

Enjoy your trip Mick - our family used to enjoy a day at Crich when we spent holidays in Derbyshire.

How lovely that you will have two DGC’s to lunch with in Glasgow, Stilllearning. Aberdeen seems a long way to go for us so maybe we will content ourselves with seeing DGS in the holidays. On the other hand, his twin brother has applied for a course at the marine college in Glasgow …. 😊

Beautiful quilt Grandmattie - such cheerful colours.

Thank you for all the wise advice on dealing with ageing - so much depends on physical and mental health but there is a balance point for everyone between keeping on being as active as possible and acceptance that some things have to be let go 🫤.

Today is showery and strong winds are forecast so I am planning a sort out of books, maps and leaflets which have mounted up here and I may do a jigsaw that I picked up in a charity shop, “Cartes de France, Puzzles par Regions
Et par Departements”!

Marydoll Sat 19-Sept-26 11:05:59

Self-preservation is absolute key these days,

Karma, you have hit the nail on the head!

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 10:56:58

You are right to not make too many plans these days MD getting out of bed can be a feat as we age and especially if ill. I don`t make many plans any more, I write a few hopes on the daily thread but I can change my mind in an instant. I very much go with the flow and keep my head down locally

Self-preservation is absolute key these days, we all want to live another day. Many a time I am just quiet, I don`t ever do too much for my body, although it must seem as though I do when squashed into a few sentences

NannyJan53 Sat 19-Sept-26 10:48:00

Good morning from a much brighter Black Country.

It started to rain yesterday just as I left for my hair appointment. Still tipping it down as I left 2 hours later. So caught bus back as stop is only 3 mins walk to home.

We are going into Birmingham tonight for a meal out as it is my 73rd birthday tomorrow 😱. He has booked the restaurant we had our very first meal together way back in 2012. Then staying overnight in a Hotel.

Just pottering around home today. Lunch will be the Tomato soup I made yesterday which was delicious.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

luluaugust Sat 19-Sept-26 09:40:45

Happy birthday Grandmabatty hope you have a great day.
Thinking of you Susan hope the day goes well
Marydoll Hope the tablets help

aggie Sat 19-Sept-26 09:31:43

Good morning from a wet Co Armagh, the sun is well hidden
I bought some violas and shoved them into any gaps i could see , they are usually good in pots but I had gaps in the raised bed
Yesterday was a mix of delight and frustration , I couldn’t manage my bag of art stuff up the stairs , other students carried it up for me , so kind of them !
The welcome back was so nice ,my friend and I missed a year but still fitted back as if we never left
I hope the day pans out for all in a good way

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Sept-26 09:28:06

Happy birthday Grandmabatty 🎉💐🎉

Georgesgran Sat 19-Sept-26 09:23:30

Good morning from a cool, windy Durham. Had a look at a new car yesterday, I must look as poor as a Church mouse, as no salesperson seemed bothered to help.
Another poor night after a meal out with DGS1 - he loved his I❤️NY hoodie and wore it all night. I had dreadful reflux and my pulled muscle seemed 10 times worse by the time I got home.

I collected DD2’s Little Dog on my way back - I’ll keep him for the weekend, as he’s often just left at home while she’s out with DGS2 - football and a party today.

🎂GMB enjoy your day.
Do I sense a fat rascal Harris?

Best wishes to all. X

kittylester Sat 19-Sept-26 09:17:09

Good morning all from a cloudy North Leicestershire.

Many happy returns of the day, GBatty.

We have DD2 and family here. Some going to the match later and some of us staying at home to watch Strictly.

Susan56 Sat 19-Sept-26 09:14:17

Happy birthday Grandmabatty 🥳🎂🍾🥂I hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating with your family.x

Thank you for your kind wishes for my visit to mum today.You are all so kind.

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Sept-26 09:12:53

Good morning everyone from a very overcast and dull Northampton. No plans to go anywhere today, as still want to take it easy after my eye surgery. Still suffering a little irritation and a bloodshot eye, and my vision is not quite as I expected, but at least the cloudiness and 'colour-cast' has gone. Obviously still need glasses for reading. Getting used to the 7 eye drops a day routine again!

Wishing all a pleasant Saturday, especially Mick on his outing to Derbyshire.

Stilllearning Sat 19-Sept-26 09:10:12

Good morning from South Lanarkshire. it’s been quite a confusing time here so I’ve just been trying to read and keep up. Happy Birthday Grandmabatty, and thank you for the kind compliment you paid me last week, it was much appreciated.

Your holiday sounded perfect to me Ladyleftfieldlover, I could just see it.

Marzipan your injuries sounded really horrible, I’m glad to read this morning that you are able to plan an outing. Your DGD’s ability to draw such a large plan of her school is impressive!

Kind thoughts to HelterSkelter and fgt, very hard times for you both.

My nice news is that my DGS1 moved down from Connel into his student accommodation last week to start his course at Glasgow Uni, so I’m looking forward to using the excuse of adding him to the lunches I have with DGD2 who is already there and seeing him more often.

Hope everyone whether going on outings or staying at home, have a good weekend.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 19-Sept-26 09:00:46

Good morning from Stockport.
Dry now but rain promised, yesterday was wet.
The men turned up to finishboff the work in the garden, I think they were shocked at just how sharp and to to the point an 89 year old can be when she is annoyed.
They drove off afterwards without a word not knocking or ringing the bell to say they were off.
Now the work is finished I can leave a review about the company but giving credit to the workers.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty I hope you enjoy your day.
Susan so sad about your mother it is bittersweet for yoo.

I agree with posters about some of you doing far too much or at least trying to.
Acceptance is the key to enjoying old age,I learnt that sometime ago and ,for me at least, it works.

Have the best day you can everyone.

baubles Sat 19-Sept-26 08:52:23

Good morning from dull and breezy South Lanarkshire.

Our monthly market has been cancelled due to the weather, high winds and rain forecast for today. Yesterday DH and I were absolutely drenched on our dog walk, my ten year old Seasalt raincoat is definitely no longer waterproof.

Happy birthday to you Batty, enjoy your celebrations with the family.

I’m not sure what today will bring, having to go with the flow.

Wishing everyone a good day.

cornergran Sat 19-Sept-26 08:47:14

Good morning all from a cloudy corner of Somerset.

A very happy birthday grandmab. Sounds a super time 🎈🍷🎂

Excellent news r&l. I’m relieved for you.

Have the best day you can everyone.

GrandmaC47 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:36:53

Happy Birthday, Grandmabatty 💐🎂
Hope everyone has a good day

Harris27 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:35:35

Good morning from a peaceful north east. Decided to go to Northallerton today if hubby ever gets out of bed. The weather is starting to change and my thoughts are turning to autumn. We have such beautiful tress around us and the leaves are changing daily. Happy birthday grandmabatyy.🌺 have a good weekend all.

monk08 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:29:18

Good morning all from the Black country.
Lovely quilt grandMattie.
Yesterday managed to get the front garden sorted and the lawn mowed before we had more rain.
No plans as yet but sure something will come along to keep me occupied and I've always got plenty to read.
Best wishes for anyone celebrating, safe travels those on the move and virtual hugs where needed.
Will catch up with everybody's happenings later but the usual Saturday full English is calling so have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Sept-26 08:27:26

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Autumnal and Equinoxical. My barometer says unsettled

I took the day off house things and joined the U3A outing to Prestonpans Museum and battlefield.
We had booked a tour with a rivetting guide truly . He spoke for almost 2 hours and could have gone on longer. It was so good.
Highly recommend.
We had tea in the garden of Cockenzie House.

I baked my usual offering for today's coffee morning and now I shall pick flowers. There's a street fair on today which I shall try to avoid.....

Happy birthday. Grandmabatty I hope you have a lovely day with everyone.

I'm glad your lump wasn't serious R& L. and glad your feet are healing Marzipan

I think of Marydoll too and hope the medication is working.

I hope everyone has some joy this weekend.
The picture was taken from the pyramid overlooking the battlefield in 1745. the Jacobites won

Marydoll Sat 19-Sept-26 08:23:55

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow, where is is 12°C.
My cough has gotten worse this morning, it sounds awful. It sounds like, not just one dog, but a whole pack of dogs. 😣

Birthday greetings, GMB. Have a lovely day!

Susan, I hope your visit to your mum isn't too upsetting.♥️

Great news, R&L!

I have to kindly concur with Karma (I have the nerve to comment), GMB, your words resonated with me. I too, am raging at the hand, life has dealt me. I hate being an old lady, because I have the brain of a younger person.😉
In the last year, I have gone from hardly being in, to confined to the house so much more.
However, I am learning to adapt, prioritise and accept that things will not fall apart, if I don't do them.
It is good to feel needed, but not at the expense of one's own health.

This week alone, I have turned down a number of requests from bossy parishioners and told them, I am too unwell to help. They were shocked, One had the cheek to imply that I wasn't ill, because I look so well.
It was difficult, but I felt a sense of relief.

My health is so unpredictable, that I no longer make plans. Yesterday, we went to the surgery, Home Bargains and TKMaxx.
In TKMaxx, I picked up a lovely pair of ballet pumps for £24. Later I looked them up online: rrp £149!! A bargain indeed. --However, not much use if I can't get out.

We popped into Costa, because I was flagging.
When we got home, I felt dreadful and had to rest, before I could go for my prescriptions. The rest of the day was spent lying in the conservatory.
Learning to pace oneself is not easy.

I have Vigil Mass tonight, but plan to rest. I am up to date with my parish admin, apart from sending out the bulletin today and updating the website.

I wish you all a pleasant day, whatever your plans.