Gransnet forums

Chat

‘Tell all’ books 🧐

(76 Posts)
Fallingstar Thu 17-Sept-26 11:26:51

The Earl of Spencer has just published his tell all book. A few years ago Harry published his tell all book. And they are not alone, this has been going on for some time.
Of course most of these books end up in charity shops in the New Year. But when did memoirs end and this tittle tattle begin?
I am just bored with it all and don’t really care what the Earl of Spencer said about the King, certainly it shouldn’t have made headline news. Have done and said some regrettable things in my time and would hate to see them pop up in print for everyone to read. Thankfully I am not famous or royal.
Would be interested to know what others think.

MayBee70 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:07:36

WithNobsOnIt

Show me the Money!

Obviously he needs a few extra bob in his old age.

đŸȘ™đŸȘ™đŸ’°đŸ’°đŸ€

As was pointed out in an interview with someone on Sky News just now.

MT62 Fri 18-Sept-26 20:38:07

Nanny27

As Kiraty Allsop has pointed out, had Diana not married Prince Charles he, Spencer would have not had half the money making opportunities he's had and with a huge house and three ex wives to support could well be in severe financial difficulties

Didn’t Diana ask him if she could move into one of his houses, but he refused her?

Tenko Fri 18-Sept-26 21:14:05

I really dislike these tell all books , it’s one persons perspective . And when the subject in this case can’t answer back ,it’s particularly unfair . I wish they’d leave PD alone .
I love reading but I won’t be spending my money books like this .

CAROLINEANNE1 Fri 18-Sept-26 21:20:37

And charity shops is where this one will end. But how much damage will it do in the meantime.

Ziplok Fri 18-Sept-26 21:47:21

What amazes (and saddens) me, is, if Charles Spencer felt/feels so strongly about the way he believes his sister was treated, then why has he waited 29 years to voice his displeasure in a book - why not say all this sooner? The cynical side of me thinks that it will make quite a lot of money and that is why it has been written. I also think that it will cause considerable hurt to Prince William and Prince Harry, the two people he promised to care for and look out for. This book is not doing that, in my view, it is just raking up more pain for them.

MT62 Fri 18-Sept-26 21:54:59

CAROLINEANNE1

And charity shops is where this one will end. But how much damage will it do in the meantime.

I think most people will take it with a pinch of salt

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 21:55:23

Yes, because at the end of the day, Charles is their father and was there for them, as was his mother, their grandmother, when their mother died.

It is just spiteful.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 21:55:54

That was in answer to Ziplok.

Fallingstar Fri 18-Sept-26 22:46:36

Perhaps the Earl always felt a bit like an extra in the drama that was played out regarding the King and Diana, and latterly with what has occurred with Harry being estranged from the royal family. So he wants to create his own drama at the cost of distressing and upsetting those who loved Diane as well as the King and those close to him.
It smacks of jealousy and revenge.
Not a good look.

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 08:44:47

Ziplok

What amazes (and saddens) me, is, if Charles Spencer felt/feels so strongly about the way he believes his sister was treated, then why has he waited 29 years to voice his displeasure in a book - why not say all this sooner? The cynical side of me thinks that it will make quite a lot of money and that is why it has been written. I also think that it will cause considerable hurt to Prince William and Prince Harry, the two people he promised to care for and look out for. This book is not doing that, in my view, it is just raking up more pain for them.

Why has he taken 29 years to write this book? Because he saw an opportunity to travel on Prince Harry's coat tails. Prince Harry with his book and his falling out with his father primed the market for this kind of royal reveal.

He saw an opportunity to hug the spotlight and make yet more money. But I seem to remember, this is the man who refused to give Diana a refuge on his estate from her marriage when she asked for it.

Betony Sat 19-Sept-26 11:28:42

'It would appear they all prefer to write out their 'own story'

Erm...don't we have to call it 'Their own Truth' now, GG13?

I think by Oprah Winfrey started using this term when referring to what anyone wants to believe, right or wrong.

henetha Sat 19-Sept-26 11:44:06

People only write these sort of books for two reasons, to make money and to cause trouble.
I have no respect for Earl Spencer whatsoever. He's apparently no saint himself.
Let Diana rest in peace.

Norah Sat 19-Sept-26 11:59:44

MT62

CAROLINEANNE1

And charity shops is where this one will end. But how much damage will it do in the meantime.

I think most people will take it with a pinch of salt

I assume most people don't purchase books of this sort.

One less item for the charity shop collection.

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 15:52:11

I think most of the money comes from the newspaper serial rights.

mabon2 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:33:30

I tend to believe Charles Spencer, if the king could say he would like to be a tampon inside Camilla he would say anything. Anyway the way the Royals treated Princess
Diana they are getting a dose of their own medicine now.

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 18:52:09

mabon2

I tend to believe Charles Spencer, if the king could say he would like to be a tampon inside Camilla he would say anything. Anyway the way the Royals treated Princess
Diana they are getting a dose of their own medicine now.

What was wrong with what the King said to his then mistress? It was essentially pillow talk between lovers and it was a gross act of betrayal for anyone, to publish this kind of pillow talk

This kind of conversation may shock you, it is far more common than you clearly imagine. Indeed I doubt that there is a couple in the country who would not be terminally embarrassed if any of their conversations at times of intimacy were to be recorded and published for general enjoyment.

JPB123 Sat 19-Sept-26 21:01:52

Why is Laura Kuenssberg interviewing Charles Spencer,for heaven’s sake.And it’s televised on Sunday evening.Ridiculous.She must hate the Royal family.

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 22:23:22

JPB123

Why is Laura Kuenssberg interviewing Charles Spencer,for heaven’s sake.And it’s televised on Sunday evening.Ridiculous.She must hate the Royal family.

Well am not entirely sure what she feels about the royal family but I thought she had cut her teeth as a hard nosed political interviewer on Sunday mornings.
This rather tawdry descent into the airing of dirty laundry in public by the Earl Spencer doesn’t do her any favours.
I thought she had more about her.

JPB123 Sun 20-Sept-26 07:24:26

Totally agree ,Falling Star.

Luckygirl3 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:08:37

Tell all books tend to appear when the writer feels there is a record that needs to be set straight.

Ohmother Sun 20-Sept-26 09:17:29

I don’t buy gossip books. I don’t need to as all the salient points are talked about in the media anyway. Save your money.

Smileless2012 Sun 20-Sept-26 09:31:12

Setting the record straight is to correct a mistake, false rumour or misunderstanding. None of these apply to ES sickening attack on the RF and Charles in particular.

M0nica Sun 20-Sept-26 22:13:47

They say revenge is a dish best served cold. In this case I think it is well past its sell date.

Betony Wed 23-Sept-26 11:48:36

'I doubt that there is a couple in the country who would not be terminally embarrassed if any of their conversations at times of intimacy were to be recorded and published for general enjoyment.'

Well said, MOnica! What couples say to each other in private is their business and theirs alone. What a rotten thing to do, to record a lovers' conversation and put it on the internet.

MT62 Wed 23-Sept-26 13:39:03

JPB123

Why is Laura Kuenssberg interviewing Charles Spencer,for heaven’s sake.And it’s televised on Sunday evening.Ridiculous.She must hate the Royal family.

You can tell from LK body language she’s not buying it.