Gransnet forums

Chat

‘Tell all’ books 🧐

(76 Posts)
Fallingstar Thu 17-Sept-26 11:26:51

The Earl of Spencer has just published his tell all book. A few years ago Harry published his tell all book. And they are not alone, this has been going on for some time.
Of course most of these books end up in charity shops in the New Year. But when did memoirs end and this tittle tattle begin?
I am just bored with it all and don’t really care what the Earl of Spencer said about the King, certainly it shouldn’t have made headline news. Have done and said some regrettable things in my time and would hate to see them pop up in print for everyone to read. Thankfully I am not famous or royal.
Would be interested to know what others think.

Smileless2012 Thu 17-Sept-26 21:04:04

Oooh not one I've read; thank you Blossoming smile.

hmm well according to AI Charles has written several books on architecture, gardening, the environment and a children's book but not one about his family.

Allsorts Fri 18-Sept-26 06:55:17

Opinions vary, you just hear one side. I wouldn't read Spare and won't this one.

Mamie Fri 18-Sept-26 10:02:48

I suspect people are thinking of the Jonathan Dimbleby biography of Charles, with which he collaborated.

SillyNanny321 Fri 18-Sept-26 13:41:12

Somehow ‘giddily elated’ does not seem to described King Charles!

Oreo Fri 18-Sept-26 13:43:55

These books are all ‘he said’ ‘she said’ and should be regarded as works of fiction.

Olivebranch Fri 18-Sept-26 13:50:17

Spencer, Harry and Megan joining forces. William, Kate and Charles on the other side.
I think Spencer and friends are ghastly.

Fallingstar Fri 18-Sept-26 13:52:28

These books just seem to be a way for someone to put the boot in with a family member or someone who was once close to them. And of course the author is blameless, too busy polishing his/her halo to have ever said or done anything wrong.
I imagine there was fault on both sides when Diana died and the King and Earl had a fracas. Just as there is fault on both sides with the break down of the relationship between Harry and the King.
These one sided blame books are becoming boring now.

Faierynan Fri 18-Sept-26 13:53:58

Nah Grannygravy13. There are three sides to every story, yours mine and the truth. Told to me by a very wise 97 year old.

Fallingstar Fri 18-Sept-26 14:03:13

Faierynan

Nah Grannygravy13. There are three sides to every story, yours mine and the truth. Told to me by a very wise 97 year old.

Well said.

Nanny27 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:06:53

As Kiraty Allsop has pointed out, had Diana not married Prince Charles he, Spencer would have not had half the money making opportunities he's had and with a huge house and three ex wives to support could well be in severe financial difficulties

Nanny27 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:07:15

Kirsty... sorry

Harris27 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:11:44

Sick of the whole books saga. My mum used to say don’t air your dirty linen in public!,

Norah Fri 18-Sept-26 14:15:57

Mamie

I suspect people are thinking of the Jonathan Dimbleby biography of Charles, with which he collaborated.

So it would seem.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince_of_Wales:_A_Biography

Deedaa Fri 18-Sept-26 14:21:23

I read a few pages of Harry's book and it felt as if the ghost writer was butting in all the time, "What more can you say about this?" "What can we add to make this a bit juicier?" "I bet this made you feel bad, what can we add to it?" It all seemed very melodramatic - also pretty much unreadable.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 14:31:51

SillyNanny321

Somehow ‘giddily elated’ does not seem to described King Charles!

It certainly doesn't.
He was probably in shock, none of us know how we'd react under such circumstances and we would not be pursued by the world media either.
He was also wondering how to tell his two sons and protect them from the media frenzy.

It's a dreadful thing to write.

Babamaman Fri 18-Sept-26 14:51:30

Totally agree with you! Why has Spencer waited so long to spew his venom? Let Diana rest in peace! No one cares any more! We all know the reasons Diana had to marry Charles. Neither party is innocent and it’s no ones business!
Just proves that they are all cashing in on her name, life and demise!
It’s awful. Even the butler, bodyguard? Will her dresser, hairdresser, maid write trash next?
Just wish the press would give it a rest as well!
Oh and yes, I won’t be buying the bookđŸ€ŁđŸ™„

Browncow1 Fri 18-Sept-26 15:02:33

Cossy

I absolutely agree.

I really enjoy reading, all kinds of books, and I love biographies and auto-biographies, but I’m not really interested in “gossip” I was never a great “magazine” reader, you know “Hello” and the like.

I do gossip, like the rest of this, but not to the extent that I want to constantly hear or read about others “dirty linen”.

Some stuff, these days, is just quite vile and horrible, true or otherwise.

I am interested in what makes people act and re-act in the ways they do, but not in a “he said, she said” manner.

All I can say is there’s always two sides of every single story and if you just get one side, it’s pretty near impossible to get an informed view.

Agree Cossy đŸ‘đŸ»

Ray82 Fri 18-Sept-26 15:29:56

I really find it all childish.We are never going to know the "truth."Why am

I commenting says it all.

missdeke Fri 18-Sept-26 15:56:38

I think Earl spencer has overstepped the mark here. He has not actually said the King said this or that, he is projecting his own thoughts on to what he thinks the King said or meant at athe time. Earl Spencer is on his own fourth marriage apparently and hasn't been a model husband either.

It's a good job this wasn't in the time of Henry VIII, he'd be waiting in the Tower to meet his maker.

albertina Fri 18-Sept-26 16:00:28

Diana should be left to rest in peace.

MT62 Fri 18-Sept-26 16:28:51

No I am not interested in modern royal biographies.
I absolutely do not believe That KC was up & down as though he had won the lottery on hearing of PD death.
People can come across as wired up when someone dies, usually it is the shock of being given horrific news.

CarrotTop Fri 18-Sept-26 16:39:06

People like to know stuff about other people. Publishers and programme-makers like a bit of scandal/conflict/intrigue. Put the two together and all sorts of lucrative possibilities open up (which is the whole point for all concerned). As long as people buy them, "tell alls" will continue to be published. If you don't fancy them, then just pass them by in the bookshop and we're all happy.

Boz Fri 18-Sept-26 16:50:32

The next one is from the late Queen's dresser - Angela Kelly,
I might read this for the fashion aspect.

WithNobsOnIt Fri 18-Sept-26 16:55:16

Show me the Money!

Obviously he needs a few extra bob in his old age.

đŸȘ™đŸȘ™đŸ’°đŸ’°đŸ€

MT62 Fri 18-Sept-26 17:19:04

Harris27

Sick of the whole books saga. My mum used to say don’t air your dirty linen in public!,

Exactly. It’s shoddy business!