Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it normal to talk to yourself?

(62 Posts)
GardenofEngland Fri 21-Aug-26 23:06:10

Since my husband died 4 years ago I have started either talking to his photo or just talking to myself. As a child I would come in from school and hear my mum talking to herself whilst ironing. Is that normal?

Realky Fri 21-Aug-26 23:14:44

Of course it is, I do it all the time. So it must be! Yesterday, I saw a woman telling her dog as she tied him outside Tesco's that she was going to get him his favourite dog biscuits, that's absolutely normal too. It's no different to talking to the dog or children, at least you listen to yourself!

Flippin2 Fri 21-Aug-26 23:27:44

Yes it is,I like a chat with myself, working things through out loud,just me, myself and I

MayBee70 Fri 21-Aug-26 23:38:40

I hope it is...my partner isn't here all of the time and I sometimes say to him 'was I talking to myself just now'.

pably15 Sat 22-Aug-26 00:35:14

oh yes, I do it all the time, at least if I ask a question, I get the answer I want

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 07:01:45

I ve always talked to myself and living on my own I can do it out loud with no one wondering if I m going mad
I do wonder if my adjoining neighbour thinks I have loads of company 🤣

Greyduster Sat 22-Aug-26 07:34:14

I talk to DH’s photo all the time - run things past him; joys and worries, should I shouldn’t I? Thinking out loud. I also talk to myself along the lines of “you know that b****y door is locked - you checked it”.

teabagwoman Sat 22-Aug-26 07:39:25

If it isn’t normal I’m in serious trouble!

ginny Sat 22-Aug-26 07:43:01

Yes, I do it too. Only time it’s a bit embarrassing is when you are in public and realise you have just said something you were thinking out loud. Mind you with people talking on phones with no visible wires etc. I doubt anyone realises.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 07:43:08

teabagwoman

If it isn’t normal I’m in serious trouble!

As are most of us Teabagwoman

Fartooold Sat 22-Aug-26 07:48:27

Another one here I always have. I also talk to myself in the supermarket.

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 22-Aug-26 07:59:25

It's normal. I've always talked to myself a lot. My husband is quite used to it.

ViceVersa Sat 22-Aug-26 08:00:34

Do you mean actually talking to yourself out loud? I don't think I've ever done that.

Aldom Sat 22-Aug-26 08:01:22

Oh thank goodness for that!
I thought it was just me. grin

Nannylovesshopping Sat 22-Aug-26 08:01:56

I have my very best conversations with myself😀

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 22-Aug-26 08:19:38

It's very normal!

I have a framed photo of my last cat who passed over the Rainbow Bridge some time ago, in the living room. I absolutely worshipped her, and she knew it, so I talk to her every day and every night, tell her what day/date it is, when I'm leaving, roughly what time I'll be back, ''the latest gossip'' as I did when she was alive.

I talk to myself all the time, tell myself off when I did something wrong, congratulate myself on doing something right, natter away, I do!

Fallingstar Sat 22-Aug-26 08:57:44

Oh I do this quite happily, my old mum did too. And if is weird then it seems from replies on here that there are a lot of weirdos around 🤣

Scribbles Sat 22-Aug-26 09:10:46

I takk to the cat; I talk to myself; I talk to the household appliances ("oh, come on, washing machine. I thought you'd be finished by now"). I talk to the plants in the garden. Why not? The cat is the only one who doesn't listen 😃.

Parky Sat 22-Aug-26 09:11:47

Or course I do. But if I'm out people are always talking to themselves as in hands free phones with ear buds. So just add 'oh really that's good or something. But at home I talk to myself or ask the cat what she thinks

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:26:48

I wouldn't speak to anyone if I didn't speak to myself, the vacuum, my shrimps, the mop, and anything, really.
It somehow doesn't seem to matter so much these days, if I'm out in public and need a good talking to.
It ensures I get two seats to my one bum on the bus, too.

Grannybags Sat 22-Aug-26 09:30:19

I do it all the time and I don't live alone. I find I'm a very good listener!

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:33:18

grin

JamesandJon33 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:02:16

DH does it all time, and I often answer. Which gives him a bit of a jolt as he doesn’t realise he has spoken out loud.

beachcomber76 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:11:52

I do it a lot. Interesting to hear what I say sometimes. I read somewhere it's a good thing to do for your mental health/self awareness.

V3ra Sat 22-Aug-26 10:12:40

Even when we're in the same room I often ask if I'm talking to myself, my husband listens to stuff on his phone via his Bluetooth hearing aids so I'm not aware he can't hear me 🙄