Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it normal to talk to yourself?

(63 Posts)
GardenofEngland Fri 21-Aug-26 23:06:10

Since my husband died 4 years ago I have started either talking to his photo or just talking to myself. As a child I would come in from school and hear my mum talking to herself whilst ironing. Is that normal?

Luckygirl3 Sun 23-Aug-26 23:25:38

I am rather hoping it is normal ......

madeleine45 Sun 23-Aug-26 23:17:05

Well of course, if I want to get an intelligent answer!!

As a singer, I not only talk to myself but if I am concentrating on something, I can find that there is some particular song or music that have a connection with what I am doing, so there will be little bursts of music . Once , not long ago, I had been walking and had to sit down to rest on a bench. Gazing into the distance my brain was thinking through a problem that I needed to deal with, but was a little surprised when a gentleman came over to kindly say how much he had enjoyed my singing ( I hadnt realized that I was singing aloud!(

Llamas99 Sun 23-Aug-26 07:23:38

My dad used to say it was fine to talk to yourself as long as you didn't answer yourself.

V3ra Sun 23-Aug-26 02:17:46

MissAdventure

I give myself little pep talks, outside, sometimes.
"Right, here comes the bus, all you have to do is get yourself on it - safely!!"

One of my little minded boys, at about 4 years old, would say out loud, "Come on legs, you can do it" over and over again when we were walking up a steep hill 🙂

friendlygingercat Sun 23-Aug-26 02:05:39

I live alone and have always enjoyed my own company. Part of that is being able to talk to myself. Sometimes I do it verbally but mostly in my head as though I was commenting on a video. Sometimes when Ive been speaking to myself going in and out of the house the doorbell camera has recorded me.

I am an academic and do a lot of writing so I think talking to myself and playing with ideas in my head is an essential part of that.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-26 00:21:29

I give myself little pep talks, outside, sometimes.
"Right, here comes the bus, all you have to do is get yourself on it - safely!!"

Wyllow3 Sun 23-Aug-26 00:18:05

MissAdventure

I was once on the phone to an ex, grown up man for a while.
We both hung up, except he hadn't.

I was then treated to him running in and out of his kitchen, shouting
"Aha!" and doing karate moves on an invisible assailant(s)
"So, you thought you could trick me! Take that!" executes an obviously marvellous spinning back fist...
"Aha! You will never get me to tell you the secret pass code!" Etc. Etc.
I hope he never reads this, as he was decidedly dejected when he picked up the phone and realised I was still there grin

😂😂😂 oh that had me in stitches.

Yes of course I talk to myself and not just at home.
"oh ffs Wyllow"
"no, you forget the glasses"
"now what was I going to get" (supermarket)
"shriek" - third time come upstairs and gone down, forgetting item each time.
why did I do/say such and such...

Most helpful.

Sarnia Sun 23-Aug-26 00:12:21

I often have natter with myself. I never have an argument and always get the right answer.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-26 00:01:26

grin ah, I expect so.

mokryna Sat 22-Aug-26 23:51:27

Just talking to the staff on what has to be done.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 23:01:07

I was once on the phone to an ex, grown up man for a while.
We both hung up, except he hadn't.

I was then treated to him running in and out of his kitchen, shouting
"Aha!" and doing karate moves on an invisible assailant(s)
"So, you thought you could trick me! Take that!" executes an obviously marvellous spinning back fist...
"Aha! You will never get me to tell you the secret pass code!" Etc. Etc.
I hope he never reads this, as he was decidedly dejected when he picked up the phone and realised I was still there grin

valdali Sat 22-Aug-26 19:14:24

Oh my dog is the most marvellous listener I've ever had.

Something I've done all my life, used to be told (about age 3) that talking to myself was the first sign of madness, 62 years later it's still the only sign for me.

Gwyllt Sat 22-Aug-26 16:46:02

Sometimes it’s the only person whom you can get any sense out of

Dylis Sat 22-Aug-26 16:39:57

Frequently talk to myself and the dog. I ask her opinion about whether its going to rain when hanging out washing.She is incredibly nosey while out on walks and I tell her its none of her business when she stops to stare at someone she doesn't recognise.
I will worry when I hear her replying!

Bea65 Sat 22-Aug-26 16:26:55

I often ask myself out loud why am I in the kitchen / bedroom / bathroom ..and sometimes I answer myself🤣

Horatia Sat 22-Aug-26 15:38:02

Do be mindful though of anyone creeping up behind you, then overtaking you on the pavement, when muttering busily away to yourself. Embarassing.

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:27:33

I talk to my cat and tell him what a good/brave/clever boy he is. He loves the attention.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 15:14:42

I have done it as long as I remember I don’t feel with me it’s an age thing I work out problems out loud I tell myself what I m going to do next out loud and my brain seems to know when to shut me up because I certainly wouldn’t do it in company

Labradora Sat 22-Aug-26 14:34:32

I've muttered to myself all my life . In work it kept me focused. My colleagues used to mention it occasionally fortunately not unkindly.
Like others I do it all the time.

Oreo Sat 22-Aug-26 14:23:29

It’s the only way to get any sensible answers😁

Tenko Sat 22-Aug-26 14:22:08

teabagwoman

I do some volunteer admin work and I did get a bit embarrassed when I was overheard talking to the photocopier! Well pleading with it actually.

I plead with our printer which has a mind of its own . I also swear at it .

Tenko Sat 22-Aug-26 14:21:19

I don’t live alone and I still talk to myself. Sometimes I verbalise a to do list and sometimes give myself a talking to , if I’ve got a problem or any worries . My dh isn’t a listener and says I overthink things. I also talk to the dog .
Shirley Valentine talked to walls and appliances in the film .

Romola Sat 22-Aug-26 14:18:13

I tell myself to do things that I don't much enjoy, such as doing the admin or cleaning out a cupboard.
Yesterday I had to tell myself quite sharply to unpick a lot of knitting which wasn't working out.

teabagwoman Sat 22-Aug-26 14:09:51

I do some volunteer admin work and I did get a bit embarrassed when I was overheard talking to the photocopier! Well pleading with it actually.

Dottydots Sat 22-Aug-26 14:01:23

I'm 84 and when I've done my hair and put on a bit of makeup in the morning, I look in the mirror and ask myself out loud if i've still got it.