Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it normal to talk to yourself?

(63 Posts)
GardenofEngland Fri 21-Aug-26 23:06:10

Since my husband died 4 years ago I have started either talking to his photo or just talking to myself. As a child I would come in from school and hear my mum talking to herself whilst ironing. Is that normal?

Sasta Sat 22-Aug-26 10:20:40

I read recently that it’s actually good for you, specially vocalising what you are doing or intend to do next. I can’t recall the reference where I read this but it suits me as it’s a definite trait I’m happy to employ.

Lona Sat 22-Aug-26 10:28:59

I also read that it’s good for you, what a relief! 😅
I do it all the time and it definitely helps me to sort out problems and dilemmas.

TerriBull Sat 22-Aug-26 10:41:11

I did say to my late mum once "you do know you talk to yourself sometimes" her "I do! and I get some very good responses" fair enough! I I talk to myself in my head, but as yet not out loud, well bar the odd expletive. I often tell the phone to shut up because of late we've been getting more nuisance calls and I don't mean from the family scams! I'm sure I'll get to the stage where I do talk to myself, hopefully not wandering about the streets doing it.

I would most definitely talk to a cat or a dog if I had one, but I would regard that as an interaction and the cats I've had did reply.

yogitree Sat 22-Aug-26 10:43:01

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

Shinamae Sat 22-Aug-26 10:45:50

All the time….😉

ViceVersa Sat 22-Aug-26 10:56:59

yogitree

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

I'm clearly abnormal then. I can often go a week without speaking to another human (apart from my husband) - even when I go shopping. So you're all talking to yourself - out loud? Really?

labazs Sat 22-Aug-26 11:03:01

now i live alone firstly talk to myself such as; right L lets get the washing up done then we can sort the work tops out.
secondly i talk to my dog who in a way seems to understand well he always looks straight at me when i say his name!
thirdly all else fails i natter to Alexa shes very talkative

Cossy Sat 22-Aug-26 11:15:40

Personally, I think it’s extremely normal and I don’t live alone!

Cossy Sat 22-Aug-26 11:16:21

Oh and of course I talk to the dogs, constantly.

Trisha99 Sat 22-Aug-26 11:17:22

Sasta

I read recently that it’s actually good for you, specially vocalising what you are doing or intend to do next. I can’t recall the reference where I read this but it suits me as it’s a definite trait I’m happy to employ.

I too read that it’s helpful to vocalise what you’re doing/going to do next, it’s like writing a list- helps with commitment and decision making.

fancythat Sat 22-Aug-26 11:20:10

ViceVersa

yogitree

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

I'm clearly abnormal then. I can often go a week without speaking to another human (apart from my husband) - even when I go shopping. So you're all talking to yourself - out loud? Really?

I will join you in being abnormal.

Thought it wasnt good to talk to yourself.
I do a bit of it if DH is away. But that is not that often.

Kandinsky Sat 22-Aug-26 13:16:58

There’s a big difference between the occasional ‘right, let’s get the washing up done’ to having an actual conversation with yourself - I’d find that very concerning tbh.

Dottydots Sat 22-Aug-26 14:01:23

I'm 84 and when I've done my hair and put on a bit of makeup in the morning, I look in the mirror and ask myself out loud if i've still got it.

teabagwoman Sat 22-Aug-26 14:09:51

I do some volunteer admin work and I did get a bit embarrassed when I was overheard talking to the photocopier! Well pleading with it actually.

Romola Sat 22-Aug-26 14:18:13

I tell myself to do things that I don't much enjoy, such as doing the admin or cleaning out a cupboard.
Yesterday I had to tell myself quite sharply to unpick a lot of knitting which wasn't working out.

Tenko Sat 22-Aug-26 14:21:19

I don’t live alone and I still talk to myself. Sometimes I verbalise a to do list and sometimes give myself a talking to , if I’ve got a problem or any worries . My dh isn’t a listener and says I overthink things. I also talk to the dog .
Shirley Valentine talked to walls and appliances in the film .

Tenko Sat 22-Aug-26 14:22:08

teabagwoman

I do some volunteer admin work and I did get a bit embarrassed when I was overheard talking to the photocopier! Well pleading with it actually.

I plead with our printer which has a mind of its own . I also swear at it .

Oreo Sat 22-Aug-26 14:23:29

It’s the only way to get any sensible answers😁

Labradora Sat 22-Aug-26 14:34:32

I've muttered to myself all my life . In work it kept me focused. My colleagues used to mention it occasionally fortunately not unkindly.
Like others I do it all the time.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 15:14:42

I have done it as long as I remember I don’t feel with me it’s an age thing I work out problems out loud I tell myself what I m going to do next out loud and my brain seems to know when to shut me up because I certainly wouldn’t do it in company

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:27:33

I talk to my cat and tell him what a good/brave/clever boy he is. He loves the attention.

Horatia Sat 22-Aug-26 15:38:02

Do be mindful though of anyone creeping up behind you, then overtaking you on the pavement, when muttering busily away to yourself. Embarassing.

Bea65 Sat 22-Aug-26 16:26:55

I often ask myself out loud why am I in the kitchen / bedroom / bathroom ..and sometimes I answer myself🤣

Dylis Sat 22-Aug-26 16:39:57

Frequently talk to myself and the dog. I ask her opinion about whether its going to rain when hanging out washing.She is incredibly nosey while out on walks and I tell her its none of her business when she stops to stare at someone she doesn't recognise.
I will worry when I hear her replying!

Gwyllt Sat 22-Aug-26 16:46:02

Sometimes it’s the only person whom you can get any sense out of