Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things that make you feel happy

(79 Posts)
nanna8 Tue 18-Aug-26 02:25:31

Not talking about major issues or personal things here but today I got a new cover for my iPad , brightly coloured butterflies. Cost almost nothing ($8) - about 4£. Free postage. The other one had fallen apart. Very cheery. Also, I found an earring I thought I had lost months ago - it was one of a pair I won on board a cruise ship. Daft things but very nice.
Tell us about the little things that made you happy recently ?

paddyann54 Wed 19-Aug-26 21:25:24

My two youngest gd,s going home with a large jar full of nasturtium leaves and caterpillars…they were so exited you,d think I,d handed them the moon.
The six year old loves all kinds of bugs and knows more about them than me so I was stumped when she wanted to know what colour the butterflies would be ,thankfully a white butterfly flew past her as they were going home and she decided it was the mother of the eggs that made the caterpillars….coming to say goodbye.
They brighten my days and always make me smile .

Oldnproud Wed 19-Aug-26 21:13:41

Seeing a group of young starlings this afternoon splashing about in the tray of water that I recently put out in my garden to help the local birds through the hot, dry weather.

Scribbles Wed 19-Aug-26 19:50:14

A truly little thing: i found the contact lens that I thought was gone!

Lilyflower Wed 19-Aug-26 19:32:36

Window not wind!

Lilyflower Wed 19-Aug-26 19:32:22

It’s a lovely evening and the view out of my bedroom wind is to die for.

Boadicea Wed 19-Aug-26 17:45:19

Fixing the catches on the bedroom and bathroom doors so that
a) they don't blow open when it's windy and
b) the cats can't push them open.

Drinking a hot cup of tea without having to microwave it because I forgot it.

The surgery letting me know that my routine blood test and urine test showed nothing to worry about (e.g. diabetes, high cholesterol etc) even though I am a chocoholic!

Our new neighbours appearing to be very nice people, although really maybe that counts as a big thing!

Campaspe Wed 19-Aug-26 17:27:38

Hi Oreo. Can I ask where you found this? I believe that dark chocolate Bountys have been discontinued, but I'd love to buy some of they are in stock anywhere.

Witzend Wed 19-Aug-26 17:18:34

We did have some rain here last night - enough to leave puddles on garage roofs, but MUCH more needed. But the fresh smell in the garden this morning did make me happy.

butterandjam Wed 19-Aug-26 17:05:04

6 am every day, I go out in my dressing gown with the dog to breathe in/sniff the new day .

Jaxjacky Wed 19-Aug-26 15:58:52

Being told earlier by the podiatrist I don’t have a fungal infection on my foot 🙂

monami Wed 19-Aug-26 15:53:34

waking up each morning

Polly4t42 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:27:27

A bumble bee on the flower outside my front door as I left home to attend a charity lunch.

JamesandJon33 Wed 19-Aug-26 14:35:48

A quiet day
The Sunday papers
A custard tart now and then
Clean sheets

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 13:59:01

Watching ducks waddling about in the park, one stood on my feet 😃

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 13:57:50

Finding a dark chocolate Bounty Bar in a shop😋

yogitree Wed 19-Aug-26 13:28:43

Recently, the rain coming on for the birds and plants.
My DD's mood being improved through an enjoyable pastime.
Managing a difficult yoga pose well.
DH surviving his third cancer.
My young GKids with their comments, their achievements and their play.
Our dog, defying the vet and living happily and well past the 4 - 6 weeks that was declared.
So far, today, blackcurrant jam, my first coffee of the day and the fact that our dog is still here to love us all.

Tenko Wed 19-Aug-26 13:20:52

Sitting in the garden with this morning with a cup of tea , listening to the birds and loving the smell of the garden after the rain . It wasn’t much but the air was much fresher .

Ilovedogs22 Wed 19-Aug-26 13:12:19

Macaydia

I am thankful for porridge

Yes, a woman after my own heart.🙃

MT62 Wed 19-Aug-26 12:06:16

Seeing the heavy down poor this morning.
Not too happy when I got into my car thought, absolutely flooded on the drivers side with rain water 😀

Davida1968 Wed 19-Aug-26 11:53:35

Going out for lunch with my caring, loving, DH. My best friend in the world world. (We've been together for over forty years.). I feel very blessed.

Retroladytyping Wed 19-Aug-26 11:39:19

My sister, who is currently walking the length of Offa's Dyke, sending me a photo of the beautiful view from her tent.

shysal Wed 19-Aug-26 11:19:47

The female red kite, who has been spending hours a day whistling in the ash tree right behind my garden, has recently been joined by a male. It would be wonderful if they nested next spring.

TerriBull Wed 19-Aug-26 11:18:35

Petra I agree re: The Morning Show, completely hooked. I can see why you'd watch it twice grin

tiredoldwoman Wed 19-Aug-26 01:34:46

I moved a garden pot yesterday and a wee frog hopped out from under it . I was thrilled that he'd chosen my garden to live in !

ginny Tue 18-Aug-26 22:00:40

Lots of little things but today’s was a message from one of my DDs after I had done a small favour for her.
“Mum, you are amazing!.. Love you so much” xx