Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone here ever watch The Dog House?

(39 Posts)
Cossy Sun 20-Sept-26 13:57:37

This programme both breaks my heart and makes it sing with joy!

It’s just so sad for these dear lovely dogs rejected and living in kennels. Especially the older ones 😢😢😢

Jane43 Sun 20-Sept-26 14:36:29

Yes I watch this occasionally, I love to see the successful rehoming stories but sometimes the dogs are returned which is very upsetting, however the staff who care for the dogs seem lovely.

CarrotTop Sun 20-Sept-26 14:46:02

I've watched this a few times and have found it very uncomfortable. The staff seem to want to re-home the dogs at all costs, sometimes paying lip service to the notion of the compatibility/suitability of both dogs and prospective owners. Maybe if I watched it week after week, I might develop a harder shell, but occasionally I've felt sorry for both sides and ended up thinking, "please don't push it, they'll only bring them back." It would be interesting to know the ratio of successes to failures.

OldFrill Sun 20-Sept-26 15:00:50

The charity is Woodgreen Pets Charity.

They don't publish a percentage "success" rate but do give details of the number of animals they re-home.

Having a dog returned isn't necessarily a failure, lessons will be learnt so the right home can be found. When l managed a dog rehoming charity as many as possible of our dogs went to fosterers rather than kennels, and from there to permanent homes. So a returned dog would be similar to one having been fostered. Not in any way a failure.

I imagine being televised has significantly increased donations. Like dating sites you can't get it right every time.

Annual reports | Woodgreen Pets Charity share.google/4E7IR7ldntLh3rpZx

YorkLady Sun 20-Sept-26 15:54:00

I love this program. The earlier series seemed to be more about the dogs.
Now the people coming in to adopt all seem to have a tragic or sad story as to why they want a dog.

MawsRosie Sun 20-Sept-26 17:56:29

Hear, hear Cossy !

MayBee70 Sun 20-Sept-26 18:03:31

CarrotTop

I've watched this a few times and have found it very uncomfortable. The staff seem to want to re-home the dogs at all costs, sometimes paying lip service to the notion of the compatibility/suitability of both dogs and prospective owners. Maybe if I watched it week after week, I might develop a harder shell, but occasionally I've felt sorry for both sides and ended up thinking, "please don't push it, they'll only bring them back." It would be interesting to know the ratio of successes to failures.

I know Staffies are lovely dogs but I am wary of them as one attacked my dog a few years ago. But on the programme they rehomed a rather large Staffie with a very elderly man and it sent out warning bells to me. It said at the end that the dog had bitten someone and had to be returned. It just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. I do worry that these sort of programmes have to have a tear jerking story in them. I know someone that was in a decluttering tv programme and he said they were only interested in highlighting a health problem that he’d had, not the fact that he was raising money to buy a new puppy.

Bukkie Sun 20-Sept-26 18:52:53

I watch this and I am terrified of dogs and certainly don't think dogs should be in shops, hotels and eating establishments. But I appreciate the joy, comfort and companionship a dog can bring to some people. I love the young receptionist, she is really funny and has the most stunning blue eyes.

Cossy Sun 20-Sept-26 19:17:05

Bukkie

I watch this and I am terrified of dogs and certainly don't think dogs should be in shops, hotels and eating establishments. But I appreciate the joy, comfort and companionship a dog can bring to some people. I love the young receptionist, she is really funny and has the most stunning blue eyes.

flowers

MayBee70 Sun 20-Sept-26 21:40:12

On the subject of dogs ( one of my favourite subjects but I do understand people not liking them; my grandson and SIL were both afraid of dogs until they got their own, and are still wary of other dogs) I saw a young bloodhound dog today; five months old, and absolutely gorgeous. I was quite exited about it as I’ve never seen one before.

Marriedalongtime Mon 21-Sept-26 08:07:53

The receptionist is actually an actress from Wigan who they bring in just to record the series. She’s not a regular staff member.

twiglet77 Mon 21-Sept-26 08:46:41

No. I saw an episode once and wouldn’t watch again.

I live fairly near WGAS and have adopted several pets from them in the past, and surrendered ex-MIL’s dog to them after her death as nobody in the family could have him.

I hate the staged meet-and-greet, the sob stories, the cooing and sheer daftness of most prospective adoptees chosen to perform in the filming. 90% of them are insufferable!

shysal Mon 21-Sept-26 09:54:34

I watch the programme, but don't like the format. Surely in real life the visitors are able to see all the dogs before taking advice.

Dottydots Mon 21-Sept-26 11:10:31

Marriedalongtime, I had no idea the receptionist was an actress. She is certainly entertaining with her comments and makes the visitors welcome.

Nanny27 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:43:40

I sometimes watch and remember feeling quite disappointed that the receptionist is an actor and not a member of the team. Seemed a bit disingenuous to me.

Babamaman Mon 21-Sept-26 13:56:53

Just looooovvvve the Dog House! Have watched it since it started. The team are absolutely amazing and really know how to match dogs with desperate owners. And some of the stories either of the future doggy parents or the dogs themselves make me blubber, everytime.
And not to miss out the hilarious receptionist! Who should be classed as a celebrity. She is wonderful, just live her, and always gives a brilliant welcome.
Just love the dog house (did I mention that)
More dog house please C4 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

albertina Mon 21-Sept-26 13:58:36

I only wish there were more Dog Houses around the country. It's a clever way to get stray and abandoned dogs new homes.

DrWatson Mon 21-Sept-26 15:02:33

For Albertina - "wish there were more" - there are zillions of cat & dog rescue places round the UK, all do a great job, not always the same way as this show portrays to viewers.

In those, you are highly unlikely to be encouraged to discuss your Cancer/Diabetes/TB/Parkinson's/Rheumatoid Arthritis/Ingrown toenails/8 failed marriages/Dandruff/etc ?

aanncc Mon 21-Sept-26 15:06:53

I love that programme in fact it’s one of my must watches. I never thought they pushed things. It’s so good to see the follow ups when the dog has a happy home.

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 15:13:34

MayBee70

On the subject of dogs ( one of my favourite subjects but I do understand people not liking them; my grandson and SIL were both afraid of dogs until they got their own, and are still wary of other dogs) I saw a young bloodhound dog today; five months old, and absolutely gorgeous. I was quite exited about it as I’ve never seen one before.

Oh how lovely!

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 15:15:51

albertina

I only wish there were more Dog Houses around the country. It's a clever way to get stray and abandoned dogs new homes.

Dogs Trust, all around the country and are fronted by a TV programme, For The Love of Dogs.

Also Battersea’s Dog home (which has cats too) have had a myriad of different TV shows.

Liz13 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:46:13

I can give a little insight into how the show works as we went through the interview process earlier this year. We answered the plea for possible people to adopt the dogs as our situation is unusual. Firstly we were sent a questionnaire where we detailed our dog owning history and what type of dog we were looking for, and why we'd gone to Woodgreen (the kennels used). This was followed up with an hour long interview on Zoom where I think we were assessed as being 'camera suitable'. I also took the camera around the house and garden focusing on fences, gates etc. We were told that filming and placements would start in May and if we had not heard by the end of June we were not considered suitable. I did ask to be told as soon as possible if we were not suitable so we could manage the expectation of our sons (both Autistic and live with us).

We were not chosen as being suitable, mainly because of the complexities of having two disabled adults in the house. One of the reasons we went to The Dog House was that they do take care in matching families, and we acknowledged early on we did need a special type of dog. Sadly they could not provide one. We are still looking.

sodapop Mon 21-Sept-26 18:31:41

I like the programme as well cossy I know it is soppy and a bit staged but I love to see the interaction with prospective owners and the new lives the dogs enjoy.
It is a welcome change from doom and gloom, we have had three rescue dogs so far each one a joy.

sazz1 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:39:18

We've had a few rescue dogs in the past and have always been able to look at all the dogs first. I dislike this program as they choose which dog you can see. I wouldn't rehome from them because of this.

MawsRosie Tue 22-Sept-26 13:11:06

I disagree.
If left up to the potential adopters, it would be the cute fluffy cockapoos who were always picked - or possibly the “ wrong” dog for a particular household
They weed out dogs which would be unsuitable and having owned (?) rescue greyhounds for the last 25 yards I know how hard it is to reject a dog once you have met it. The guilt is just awful.
I found this out when I thought I was adopting a lovely big boy called Freddie.
On this occasion it took a second visit with my D, SIL , GS and their very calm dog to make me realise however lovely Freddie was, he was too boisterous with smaller dogs and too strong and full on for me. Fortunately the kennels manager ( who had not been there on my first visit) realised this , took Freddie back to his kennel immediately and came up with the suggestion of very timid little bitch who had never raced. That was my wonderful Hattie who some of you “knew” and we were a match made in heaven! It’s not just the “right” dog it’s also the case of matching the dog with the right people!