Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All Creatures Great and Small

(58 Posts)
JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sept-26 14:16:06

We have a new series starting tonight (17th September) for those who love this gentle portrayal of Yorkshire vets. Hurray!
9pm Channel 5.

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 14:19:06

I cannot watch it, it’s so silly of me, but I lived the original so much. I’ve read the books too and loved them.

I was the same with the remake of Poldark!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Sept-26 14:22:24

Read the books, watched the original series and have watched all of the new ones.

Bukkie Thu 17-Sept-26 14:36:19

Cossy - We felt the same initially but the new ones are actually better than the original and I don't say that often. Please give it a try, you are missing out on so much by not watching it.

Dottydots Thu 17-Sept-26 15:59:15

I shall curl up on the sofa with my bar of chocolate knowing that I will thoroughly enjoy it. No phone calls please!

JenniRen Thu 17-Sept-26 16:46:36

Bukkie

Cossy - We felt the same initially but the new ones are actually better than the original and I don't say that often. Please give it a try, you are missing out on so much by not watching it.

I agree, well they are at least as good.

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Sept-26 16:57:38

Will watch tomorrow, Ludwig tonight.

Aveline Thu 17-Sept-26 16:58:16

I love it. I record it to watch as a Saturday afternoon treat.

Smileless2012 Thu 17-Sept-26 17:00:25

I hope this series is better than the last which we felt didn't focus enough in the vetting side, and Siegfried's personality seemed to have changed beyond recognition.

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 17:36:42

Bukkie

Cossy - We felt the same initially but the new ones are actually better than the original and I don't say that often. Please give it a try, you are missing out on so much by not watching it.

OK I will give it go!

TwiceAsNice Thu 17-Sept-26 17:47:16

I have already recorded it. Myself and my daughters will watch it together at a convenient time. I think it’s better than the original too

sodapop Thu 17-Sept-26 19:49:31

The wartime episode with Siegfried and the horses brought me to tears, superbly done.

merlotgran Thu 17-Sept-26 21:31:41

I’m so glad it’s back. Perfect viewing now the nights are drawing in.

Floradora9 Thu 17-Sept-26 21:44:08

Just too sweet and unlike the books the original series was based on . I agree too much about the characters and not enough about the job of being a vet.

Grandma70s Thu 17-Sept-26 22:12:53

I would enjoy it if it weren’t for the actress who plays Helen, Herriot’s wife. For some inexplicable reason, I can’t stand her.

MartavTaurus Thu 17-Sept-26 22:35:23

Surely that cat Alfred wasn't real, was it?

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sept-26 22:54:10

I’m delighted this series is back but this first episode was certainly not one of my favourites.

Unusual for them not to have any farm animals to treat.

I hope it picks up.

helena Fri 18-Sept-26 13:40:36

I did enjoy it, BUT, being hard of hearing, I found that I struggled to keep up. They all speak far too fast, so reading the subtitles was tricky..

Olivebranch Fri 18-Sept-26 13:47:14

The original series were much better, many more animals although I’m dubious about the methods of filming them— were they sedated?
New series far too modern— it’s suppose to show us how things were in the past.

DrWatson Fri 18-Sept-26 13:59:39

For Jennifer, and "no farm animals" - the episode had several references to changing times.

For Olive - same comment, the previous one went through the war, now they will have to adapt (as much of the country had to).

This version of the show scores over the original in that the Housekeeper has a brain and a voice.

Uschi Fri 18-Sept-26 14:02:57

I could not continue watching it. It’s the first time I have seen it and I thought it was absolutely dreadful. I agree with Helena that the dialogue was too fast and I noticed that everybody was manically smiling at each other. I’ve lived in Yorkshire and that’s not how folk behave! I’m a fan of the books and the old series was a much better interpretation of them.

Harris27 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:08:59

Absolutely love it. We were fortunate to be in the area when they were filming in the earlier months. The cast are so friendly and the place of the fictional darrowby was lovely. Love it! Just what we need.

Deedaa Fri 18-Sept-26 14:13:32

I'm another one who doesn't like the new version. It's nothing like the books, which is a shame because Samuel West is such a good Siegfried.

The remake of Poldark was just as disappointing. I'm sre the actress who played Demelza was very good, but she didn't have the ethereal quality that Angharad did. And Robin Ellis will always be the only Ross.

CarrotTop Fri 18-Sept-26 14:17:44

I have mixed feelings about ACG&S. As a schoolgirl, I was desperate to go to veterinary college. My dad was old school: "Expensive education is wasted on girls, what's the point of it when all you'll do is get married and have kids," etc, etc.
My secondary school was no help - girls did Biology, boys did Chemistry & Physics, and never the twain shall meet.
Between them all, I didn't get to vet college. Instead, when I left school, I got a job as a trainee nurse with a local vet practice (loved it). The vet retired, I was out of a job and couldn't find another like it.
The odd thing is that, one Christmas, Dad gave me Herriot's book, "I thought you'd like this, you were always animal mad." It was the only book he ever gave me (I was a committed bookworm, btw). Weird.
When I watch ACG&S I get a lump in my throat for what might have been.

esproson Fri 18-Sept-26 14:17:59

Love it love it 😍