Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All Creatures Great and Small

(59 Posts)
JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sept-26 14:16:06

We have a new series starting tonight (17th September) for those who love this gentle portrayal of Yorkshire vets. Hurray!
9pm Channel 5.

Greyduster Tue 22-Sept-26 08:14:39

If I may be allowed one little niggle: I wish they would teach actors playing Yorkshire characters the mysteries of the glottal stop! Helen seems to have lost hers somewhere. It was very noticeable in this first episode.

sewandsew7 Mon 21-Sept-26 12:16:09

We love the new series - such a great drama - non violent and lots of kindness included and that is rare these days. It’s always heart warming and uplifting.

Littleannie Mon 21-Sept-26 11:26:29

Years ago Sam West was in a Shakespearian play at the theatre where I worked. He needed a doctor and walked through town to the surgery still wearing his gladiator costume!

Greyduster Mon 21-Sept-26 07:37:34

I will watch the new series if only because I’m deeply in love with Sam West. It’s light years away from the original but what it lacks in authenticity it makes up for with the gorgeous dales scenery.

LOUISA1523 Mon 21-Sept-26 06:39:46

Peaseblossom

Not tempted to watch it, as I liked the original very much and hate remakes. The remake of Darling Buds was awful, they ruined it. I still prefer the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, which I've seen a few times.

Honestly listen to yourself....you sound about 12 ....'I hate remakes' .....how do you know if you haven't watched it?!
It's a fantastic show...I liked the original...and I liked this ....and the James in this remake is Scottish unlike the original

madeleine45 Mon 21-Sept-26 06:22:37

A mixture of feelings about the latest one, but for me the original Mrs Pumphrey and Tricky Woo could not be beaten and her miserable chauffeur/walker of Tricky Woo was a good foil too.

JenniferEccles Sun 20-Sept-26 22:53:45

I do agree about the truly awful remake of Darling Buds. No comparison with the original series whatsoever.

I would though encourage those who loved the original All Creatures to give the current series a chance.
There aren’t many episodes per series though and it always seems to end too soon.

Aveline Sun 20-Sept-26 17:06:30

Peaseblossom you are missing an absolutely wonderful programme. I feel sorry for you for depriving yourself of a great pleasure because you're so fixed in your opinion. Your loss.

Peaseblossom Sun 20-Sept-26 16:07:59

Not tempted to watch it, as I liked the original very much and hate remakes. The remake of Darling Buds was awful, they ruined it. I still prefer the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, which I've seen a few times.

Littleannie Sun 20-Sept-26 11:47:58

You can watch the original BBC version with Christopher Timothy on the BBC i player, all 88 episodes of it!

Luckygirl3 Sat 19-Sept-26 09:08:51

Sam West is perfect in the series. I love it.
My two go to programmes when feeling blue are All Creatures and Would I Lie To You.

Retroladytyping Sat 19-Sept-26 08:26:49

Just returned from a holiday in 'Darrowby' - actually Grassington, and watched the first of the new series. Skeldale House is just as it looks from the outside and our favourite cafe is just over the square opposite the Drovers - a real pub, but not called the Drovers.
We stayed in Hebden and little Jimmy's new school is now The Old School Tearoom and is at the end of the lane opposite 'our cottage.'

Sadgrandma Sat 19-Sept-26 08:22:28

Hammo It should be on the Channel 5 catch up ‘My5’ after it had been on Channel 5

JPB123 Fri 18-Sept-26 21:03:25

Oh Carrot Top,what a shame! x

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sept-26 20:53:38

Watched it earlier and thoroughly enjoyed it, like a comfy pair of slippers.
I enjoyed the original series too, read the books many years ago.

Hammo Fri 18-Sept-26 20:11:50

This new version sounds so lovely. We’ve only watched, and loved, the original many moons ago. Is there a way you can watch on ‘catchup’ on Channel 5? Not really clever with technology but would love to watch this. Thank you

Visgir1 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:03:49

Just watched it, it's a lovely series. I didn't really see that many of the orginal series but did read a couple of the books but many years ago. So this is a lovely treat to see.

Clawdy Fri 18-Sept-26 17:01:48

Love it, got it on record to watch over weekend.

JenniferEccles Fri 18-Sept-26 16:58:53

Surprisingly I also struggled a bit to hear it last night, and my hearing is very good.
Never mind, I heard most of it.

The original series was so long ago that I only have a hazy memory of it, so it’s difficult for me to compare, but on the whole I have loved these over the last few years.

posset Fri 18-Sept-26 16:53:43

I've enjoyed all the series, it is a bit of feel-good therapy, although as others have mentioned - it is difficult to keep up with the dialogue, but that's just my inefficient lugs!

polnan Fri 18-Sept-26 15:51:14

for me, it is lovely, better than all the murders and bad stuff on tv

Aveline Fri 18-Sept-26 15:12:53

I definitely prefer the new series. The characters, their clothes and the sets are so authentic. It's not a documentary not us it necessarily repeating the books as written. It's just taking the stories on and developing them further. Wonderful TV viewing.

Ray82 Fri 18-Sept-26 15:01:09

I too prefer the first series.Any remake with new characters and actors always disappoints.The same with all the remakes of Jane Austin and so on.

AweSum72 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:51:53

Im with you Cossy I loved the original so much I cant 'get into' the new one they have done a great modern job of it tho but so many memories and episodes from the original i still remember.

LadyGracie Fri 18-Sept-26 14:47:32

I’ve watched all the series and read all the books, simply because Alf Wight was our vet when we lived in Topcliffe only a few miles from Thirsk.
It’s not as good as it used to be it’s a bit too ‘sweet’ for me.

I love to live in Yorkshire again.