Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New here - question about site appearance

(70 Posts)
WalthamstowinWaiting Thu 24-Sept-26 07:40:56

Hello everyone. Looking forward to getting to know people.

Is there any way of changing the appearance of this site please. The font is so old-fashioned: I know we're old but....

Thank you.

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 16:22:55

WalthamstowinWaiting

Thank you for the helpful comments and welcomes smile

Welcome WiW you'd have heard the term mansplaining I'm sure, there's a version on here called Gransnetsplaining 😀 ...

I'd have called it a font too. But GN is the fount of all knowledge 😂

Marmin Thu 24-Sept-26 16:26:08

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

OldFrill Thu 24-Sept-26 16:32:47

Nannee49

It's not a font, it's a typeface.

There's no such thing as a stand alone font - a font is always a variation or adaptation of an original typeface design.

Re computers the two words are virtually (no pun intended) interchangeable, everyone knows exactly what is meant.

Welcome WiW, congrats on your news (l read your other post), sorry you seem to be getting such a strange welcome! Don't let it put you off.

fluttERBY123 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:42:55

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

Marzipan22 Thu 24-Sept-26 18:07:06

fluttERBY123

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

Yikes, I'm not!!!!

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 19:52:56

Me neither! I welcome a shake up.

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 19:54:07

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

😅

petra Thu 24-Sept-26 21:55:36

fluttERBY123

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

You should have said some not most

MawsRosie Thu 24-Sept-26 22:13:27

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

Sadly I think it’s the fount of all knowledge
The traditional and standard spelling for a source of information is fount of knowledge.
The Difference
Fount: Comes from the Latin word for a spring or fountain, making it the literal and historical choice for a flowing "source" of wisdom or information.
Font: Refers to a baptismal basin in a church or a collection of typographic characters (a typeface).

Nannee49 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:16:17

OldFrill despite it being a common mistake to confuse the two, it's a basic, absolute rule in typography that they're not interchangeable, no-one ever designed a font, a font can't exist without a typeface as it means nothing.

Times New Roman is a designed typeface, 12 point Times New Roman or 14 point Times New Roman or 24 point or whatever point are the fonts of Times New Roman typeface.

OldFrill Fri 25-Sept-26 00:27:32

Nannee - l understand where you are coming from however in computer terminology font and typeface have become interchangeable as both .ttf and .otf files are commonly called fonts. As can be read on this thread people knew what the poster meant by "font" because of common usage. Using "typeface" caused unnecessary confusion. You're fighting a battle already lost.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 00:42:40

I agree.

Font is the term used in application and website development. OP was asking about this website.

Word processing software will ask a user to choose a font not a typeface.

The computer language that sit behind web pages is Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) and a development of that call Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). They use the tag <font> and property <font-family>.”

Here’s a fraction of code that sits behind this webpage:

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Libre+Baskerville:wght@400;700&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

Google Fonts is a free, open-source library of computer and web fonts provided by Google that anyone can use for personal or commercial projects.

Libre Baskerville is a free, open-source serif web font family.

Grammaretto Fri 25-Sept-26 05:12:12

I read GN on my phone and haven't a clue what you're talking about.

WalthamstowinWaiting Fri 25-Sept-26 07:42:25

Well this is all getting far more complicated than I imagined!

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:06:49

"They" can call it what they like but it's still inherently ignorant & wrong.

If we're going to be down with the tech kids why do we not font our correspondence instead of typing it? Maybe that's too big a stretch even for the masters of the written communication universe.

spottybook Fri 25-Sept-26 08:13:35

Well I’m happy with the way it looks.

Sarnia Fri 25-Sept-26 08:43:21

What I have asked for in the past is the availability to 'like' a post which is quicker than replying. It has never happened and likely never will.

JackyB Fri 25-Sept-26 09:02:54

The look of the site was changed at one point. Including the font. I remember my surprise at the changes on the morning of was launched. I'm sure I also said at the time that we (or at least I)were really only interested in the content.

They could have set the tech department to work on implementing the changes we were actually asking for as readers rather than changing the design and style of the site which was of little interest to anyone. It wasn't a even an improvement for those with poor eyesight. You always could enlarge the font to counteract that problem.

I have no idea what would be old-fashioned or not in a site. I use another forum which has been going since 1999 and which is easy to navigate and has many features I would have liked on GN.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 09:12:53

What's the difference between a typeface and a font?

This young woman explains:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVXwLWIwDM

Anyway, I hope WiW can find a browser extension that makes the site content look more pleasing to their eye.

grumppa Fri 25-Sept-26 09:18:13

In today's Times Concise Crossword the answer to the clue 'typeface', all in Times New Roman of course, was 'font'.

fluttERBY123 Fri 25-Sept-26 09:56:42

I might depart if they started on "likes" here.

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:05:15

Thanks for the link Graphite it reiterates there is absolutely no design in a font only mechanics.

Without the style construction by thousands of artists originating beautiful typefaces we would be in a very very dull fontal world of 12 point Times New Roman the only choice being the size of the face.

LucyAnna5 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:11:09

MawsRosie

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

Sadly I think it’s the fount of all knowledge
The traditional and standard spelling for a source of information is fount of knowledge.
The Difference
Fount: Comes from the Latin word for a spring or fountain, making it the literal and historical choice for a flowing "source" of wisdom or information.
Font: Refers to a baptismal basin in a church or a collection of typographic characters (a typeface).

.

Mollygo Fri 25-Sept-26 11:42:41

Nannee49

Thanks for the link Graphite it reiterates there is absolutely no design in a font only mechanics.

Without the style construction by thousands of artists originating beautiful typefaces we would be in a very very dull fontal world of 12 point Times New Roman the only choice being the size of the face.

Nannee49

If we’re going to be pedantic, then perhaps we also need to know that the first typeface was not Times New Roman.

The First Typeface
Creator: Johannes Gutenberg, a German goldsmith and printer.
Time Period: Around 1440–1455, alongside the invention of his mechanical movable-type printing press in Europe.
Design: It imitated the heavy, angular Blackletter calligraphy used by scribes and monks to write manuscripts at the time.

We learnt that when we went to the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz

Times New Roman was designed much later, in 1931, by Stanley Morison and Victor Lardent for the British newspaper The Times of London, where it made its debut on October 3, 1932

The First Typeface
Creator: Johannes Gutenberg, a German goldsmith and printer.
Time Period: Around 1440–1455, alongside the invention of his mechanical movable-type printing press in Europe.
Design: It imitated the heavy, angular Blackletter calligraphy used by scribes and monks to write manuscripts at the time.

We learnt that when we went to the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz.

Esmay Fri 25-Sept-26 12:01:01

What a way to introduce yourself-straight into criticising the format .You haven't endeared yourself to me .