Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New here - question about site appearance

(70 Posts)
WalthamstowinWaiting Thu 24-Sept-26 07:40:56

Hello everyone. Looking forward to getting to know people.

Is there any way of changing the appearance of this site please. The font is so old-fashioned: I know we're old but....

Thank you.

Mollygo Mon 28-Sept-26 11:32:03

I’m interested to know what anyone unhappy with the profile has done to try and change it.
I had to make sure our school website was compliant when I set it up, but that was an unpaid extra task, the sort of thing that you volunteer to do, and then find it added to your performance management targets.

How do people unhappy with the site envisage doing something about it or is it enough just to express dissatisfaction?

Graphite Sun 27-Sept-26 12:07:52

For a start is fails miserably on accessibility for those with disabilities. It simply isn’t compliant with the law.

The Equality Act 2010 applies to private businesses, charities, and public bodies. It requires organisations providing goods, services, or the public to make reasonable adjustments so disabled people are not put at a disadvantage.

Witzend Sun 27-Sept-26 11:10:43

What on earth is wrong with it? I am bemused…

Retread Sun 27-Sept-26 11:05:25

This reminds me of when I worked in an office in the early 2000s with younger colleagues. One day one of them asked me "Why do you say please photostat that document when you mean copy it?" 😂 Answers on a postcard ...

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 18:10:07

It works for me, I have dyslexia.
Anyway welcome 🤗

petra Sat 26-Sept-26 17:58:39

Nannee49

It just really pisses me off when a bunch of disrespectful, clueless in many ways, Silicon Valley-ers casually misunderstand and dismiss the art, craft and tradition of hundreds of years and arrogantly impose their mistaken understanding of terms on the world.

I'm thinking of starting a campaign & having some T-shirts printed...any suggestions for the typeface?grin

I couldn’t agree more. The first 3 years of my apprenticeship was sewing books by had.
Then to set up and operate machines that sewed books.
My ex husband was a bookbinder/ gold blocker.
MrP was a compositor. Then a 4 colour planner.

JackyB Sat 26-Sept-26 17:20:59

youtu.be/0Ck-NPqf2c8?si=mE_E3gTO130cRYSu

This girl is a genius - I love her version of this. And she calls them typefaces, for the experts!

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 17:45:09

😂grummpa

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 14:16:25

The first computer font was designed in 1966, not in Silicon Valley but by electrical engineer Rudolf Hell in his workshop in Germany.

The characters were reproduced using a cathode ray tube that distributed the light to certain points which today we would call pixels. It was a sans-serif font available in seven different weights.

www.pixartprinting.co.uk/blog/birth-digital-fonts/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Hell

grumppa Fri 25-Sept-26 13:58:59

Times New Roman please, Nannee49.

Aldom Fri 25-Sept-26 13:46:55

Retread

I’ve had a giggle 🤭 Romilo !

Me too 😹

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 13:34:43

It just really pisses me off when a bunch of disrespectful, clueless in many ways, Silicon Valley-ers casually misunderstand and dismiss the art, craft and tradition of hundreds of years and arrogantly impose their mistaken understanding of terms on the world.

I'm thinking of starting a campaign & having some T-shirts printed...any suggestions for the typeface?grin

rafichagran Fri 25-Sept-26 13:03:38

I really cannot care less about the font and if they change it or not.Its the content and the posts that interest me.

Retread Fri 25-Sept-26 12:54:36

I’ve had a giggle 🤭 Romilo !

ROMILO Fri 25-Sept-26 12:33:02

Why is this thread so deadly serious?
Font of all knowledge ( intended as humour)
Play on words
Have a giggle!

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 12:25:14

I do understand what Nannee is saying. The broad concept is:

Typeface: The typeface is the design of the letterforms. It’s what you see. For example, “Helvetica” is a typeface.

Font: A font is the file or the instance of that typeface. It’s what you use. For example, “Helvetica Bold, 12pt” is a font.

If someone uses a browser extension to alter the look of a web page or web site, then they can alter the instance.

In the example, I have selected a different typeface, altered the letter, word, and line spacing and capitalised all of the letters.

Perhaps not a good example as we then get into the arena of capital letters constituting internet shouting but having the means to alter the look in this way could make the site easier for someone with visual impairment to read.

I have noticed that on one long chat thread, people use bold text, I understand to make it easier for one of the regular contributors to read, so the ability to change the look of the site could be inclusive as well as simply aesthetically pleasing.

nanna8 Fri 25-Sept-26 12:24:17

Probably got shares in it 😃😃😃 should be flattered . Give ‘em a few ideas for articles,too. Bit lefty though.

kittylester Fri 25-Sept-26 12:18:56

Slightly worryingly, the Times Quich Crossword setters seem to be reading this thread. grin

BlueBelle Fri 25-Sept-26 12:16:07

Sounds dead ‘off ‘ to me to introduce yourself with a criticism of the very site you’re hoping to engage with, but who am I to judge?
Anyway I cannot see anything wrong with the font whatsoever, it’s clear, ordinary and down to earth (maybe like me).
I would love an edit button but that will never happen otherwise it’s fine for me I don’t have any clue what a modern font would look like, or why anyone would want to join and immediately (if not sooner) criticise it.
Not endearing
Hopefully we ll get off to a better start next post

Esmay Fri 25-Sept-26 12:01:01

What a way to introduce yourself-straight into criticising the format .You haven't endeared yourself to me .

Mollygo Fri 25-Sept-26 11:42:41

Nannee49

Thanks for the link Graphite it reiterates there is absolutely no design in a font only mechanics.

Without the style construction by thousands of artists originating beautiful typefaces we would be in a very very dull fontal world of 12 point Times New Roman the only choice being the size of the face.

Nannee49

If we’re going to be pedantic, then perhaps we also need to know that the first typeface was not Times New Roman.

The First Typeface
Creator: Johannes Gutenberg, a German goldsmith and printer.
Time Period: Around 1440–1455, alongside the invention of his mechanical movable-type printing press in Europe.
Design: It imitated the heavy, angular Blackletter calligraphy used by scribes and monks to write manuscripts at the time.

We learnt that when we went to the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz

Times New Roman was designed much later, in 1931, by Stanley Morison and Victor Lardent for the British newspaper The Times of London, where it made its debut on October 3, 1932

The First Typeface
Creator: Johannes Gutenberg, a German goldsmith and printer.
Time Period: Around 1440–1455, alongside the invention of his mechanical movable-type printing press in Europe.
Design: It imitated the heavy, angular Blackletter calligraphy used by scribes and monks to write manuscripts at the time.

We learnt that when we went to the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz.

LucyAnna5 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:11:09

MawsRosie

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

Sadly I think it’s the fount of all knowledge
The traditional and standard spelling for a source of information is fount of knowledge.
The Difference
Fount: Comes from the Latin word for a spring or fountain, making it the literal and historical choice for a flowing "source" of wisdom or information.
Font: Refers to a baptismal basin in a church or a collection of typographic characters (a typeface).

.

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:05:15

Thanks for the link Graphite it reiterates there is absolutely no design in a font only mechanics.

Without the style construction by thousands of artists originating beautiful typefaces we would be in a very very dull fontal world of 12 point Times New Roman the only choice being the size of the face.

fluttERBY123 Fri 25-Sept-26 09:56:42

I might depart if they started on "likes" here.

grumppa Fri 25-Sept-26 09:18:13

In today's Times Concise Crossword the answer to the clue 'typeface', all in Times New Roman of course, was 'font'.