I dislike swearing, see no need for it Annie; What did you say when Fred conked out on a trip recently leaving you high and dry? I only ask because I'm about to own a mobility scooter, to be christened Freda!; and what with me being a non-swearer too I'm not sure how I'll deal with the situation! We can get road-side assist. for $54 p.a., so that's the way to go and being a female of the species I'm sure she won't break down or throw a wobbly.
people who swear do so because they can't find appropriate other words GG; Gotcha! It's becoming increasingly popular to claim "I've been quoted out of context", but you see how easy it is! You don't believe the myth!? Btw; "vocabulorly"? Perhaps the next lesson should be about "limited spelling"!? Sorry about that, but couldn't resist it! This thread is still light-hearted as conceived, I hope!
Wow - it seems that most GNs are going to hell Except of course all those perfect souls who never swear, never drink, probably never lose their temper and are a shining example to us all
The problem is that swearing has become so commonplace that it has lost it's shock value. I don't swear often but on occasion I do, today at my laptop which seems to have developed a mind of its own! The only time I think less of someone who swears is when it is every other word and they are unaware of how much of they are swearing.
Rufus I can assure you I don't have a "limited vocabulory". I think it's a myth that people who swear do so because they can't find appropriate other words.
My upbringing would never permit me to swear, indeed never even heard swear words until an adult. The worst my family would succumb to was 'drat', and actually you can put an awful lot of meaning into that!
On the other hand my mother quoted Shakespeare at the police car that knocked her off her bike "The devil damn thee black, thou cream-faced loon!" (Macbeth to a servant) and she got an apology!
My late father would never have used foul language at home And neither did any of our family; I'm far from being a "goody-goody", but I have never ever resorted to it, no matter the circumstances. As has been said, it's a matter of respect. Of course, this whole thread stems from us all being anonymous behind nicknames, so no names no packdrill and every one is feeling free to unleash their inhibitions and limited vocabularies in one big tongue-in-cheek splurge. "They can't be serious!?"; can they? It's nearly midnight here so I'll soon be climbing up to the pulpit for Sunday's sermon.!
I apologise unreservedly for using the term potty mouth, heaven knows where I dragged that up from, won’t happen again. In future all will be from “ mouth like a sewer” school of thought.
I don't generally swear but, as nina says, sometimes only a swear word will do. And I'm not offended if others do, apart from the 'c' word.
And, a well placed swear word can add a lot of humour.
Also, I do make an exception for my children, when they are talking about the idiot, and they repeat the mantra that there is no cure for being c***, he deserves no better.
paddyann serious question. What would you say if you stubbed your toe or dropped the dish as you took it out the oven ? I don't swear in general conversation but in certain situations nothing else will do for me.