Hoping people can give me some advice and examples that work for couples. Recently retired, husband retired already. When I worked he did prepping meals and some cleaning. He is a very planned ‘blue’ personality. He’s asked me today if we should have a schedule for home chores/cleaning. I think as long as it gets done when it looks like if needs doing that’s good. At the moment we seem to have fallen into the following:
Cooking, laundry, doing weekly menu and planning shopping lists - me
Accounting, gardening, DIY - husband
We both walk our dog,
It’s the cleaning aspect that’s in question. At the moment as I say I do it as I see it, so this morning it looked like the kitchen worktops needed doing. Although I clean them after I cook, needed to remove things on there and clean all the crumbs etc.
I am interested to know what others do. I told him I don’t want to become a slave to housework, especially if there’s other things to do like days out and holidays.
Gransnet forums
Relationships
Chores
(33 Posts)Since we drastically downsized 2 years ago Mr. S. doesn't do any cleaning but washes up and/or loads the dishwasher; he does clean the outside windows when I ask him too.
In your place I would say that I don't want a strict schedule preferring to do things when I think they need doing and suggest he does the same.
Women tend to be better at seeing what needs doing in the house whereas men often need to be reminded, not in every case but in quite a few. So would do some housework then remind him about what he needs to do. This is tiring but after a while he might get the idea.
I would btw look at gardening and DIY as occasional jobs or hobbies.
I’d tell him that if he wants to do a list for his own chores, you’d be very happy for him to do that. Agree between you which are his jobs, and he can pin it to the fridge or wherever and follow it. I think some people are list people, and if it makes him comfortable to know what he’s doing when, so be it - just make it clear that for your agreed chores you will do it your own way.
I have no problem doing things that needed doing cleaning, washing, cooking, now retired I have time so why not. However it's a very relaxed routine, my wife is not an ardent house keeper so I do it when I think it needs doing.
I do most of the food shopping too, in the end it's about equal, we are both happy with the routine.
David49
I have no problem doing things that needed doing cleaning, washing, cooking, now retired I have time so why not. However it's a very relaxed routine, my wife is not an ardent house keeper so I do it when I think it needs doing.
I do most of the food shopping too, in the end it's about equal, we are both happy with the routine.
Glad to hear this David. Before my DH had a stroke he was better at cleaning the house than me and his speciality was the bathroom. I was lucky but some of my friends and relatives not so much.
I haven’t shopped for food or cooked it for over 30 years.
MrP loves both, I don’t.
He has never cleaned because I don’t want or need him too.
I don’t find housework a chore. We live in a small bungalow and are both tidy people. How much work can 2 people make.
Having said that I wouldn’t want anyone to see my sewing room or garden shed right now. 😱
Can you get a cleaner? A couple of hours a week is a worthwhile investment to be able to forget about it.
Thanks for all the suggestions. We live in a small one bedroom bungalow. It’s never really untidy, the dog causes dust and hair. I know I can be quite lazy sometimes, but then can’t we all after a lifetime of corporate life.
We set aside one morning a week for a proper clean . DH does the floors and I do the rest so I am busy far longer than he is but it makes sure evetything is done . I tidy every day and clean bits of the kitchen every day . I cook DH fills the dishwasher and empties it . We shop together as we have to go to the next town for supermarkets but all food planning is down to me .
22 years ago, I shifted from a part-time job to a full-time job. At that time, I showed DH a long list of weekly/daily/monthly chores and said, "Pick 5 or 6." In other words, as a part-timer, I had been doing it all...and that could not continue.
22 years later, I am back to part-time and DH is still full-time. But he still does the chores he chose years ago for the most part.
I do feel that I have always done more than him pertaining to our kids/GC. Bday and Xmas cards/gifts, things like that (the "invisible chores"). For the most part, we each feel happy with the balance.
kittylester
Can you get a cleaner? A couple of hours a week is a worthwhile investment to be able to forget about it.
This would be my advice. In a small space you would probably only need a couple of hours a week, and if the kitchen and bathroom are done properly (30 mins each) there would be another hour to do the rest. That would be more than enough to do a bedroom and sitting room, and you could ask for things like cleaning the fridge, defrosting the freezer and cleaning the microwave/oven as they need doing. If those larger tasks are rotated the house would be clean all the time, and the other tasks shared between you seem more fair.
kittylester
Can you get a cleaner? A couple of hours a week is a worthwhile investment to be able to forget about it.
she doesn't need to pay a cleaner. Her husband used to clean when she was working; now he's offering to do cleaning again.
He just wants to make a plan about the cleaning so he knows which tasks are his .
Fallingstar
Women tend to be better at seeing what needs doing in the house whereas men often need to be reminded, not in every case but in quite a few. So would do some housework then remind him about what he needs to do. This is tiring but after a while he might get the idea.
I would btw look at gardening and DIY as occasional jobs or hobbies.
I do the house, cooking, DIY and gardening and in my place, at least in the last couple of years, DIY & gardening are pretty much constant jobs - I think it depends what sort of house / garden you have (& how fast you are at DIY tasks- I tend to spend a lot of time contemplating before & during)
Does he have any availability @OP ?
she doesn't need to pay a cleaner. Her husband used to clean when she was working; now he's offering to do cleaning again.
He just wants to make a plan about the cleaning so he knows which tasks are his .
Fair enough, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat. If getting one for a couple of hours a week would help (and is in budget) then IMO it makes sense.
Casdon
I’d tell him that if he wants to do a list for his own chores, you’d be very happy for him to do that. Agree between you which are his jobs, and he can pin it to the fridge or wherever and follow it. I think some people are list people, and if it makes him comfortable to know what he’s doing when, so be it - just make it clear that for your agreed chores you will do it your own way.
My thoughts too.
If he can't bear a few crumbs then he can wipe them off, etc...or vice versa.
It might be good to list all the jobs, daily weekly etc and then decide to -
divide them into his & hers or
everything shared & done together (gulp) or
take weekly turns on all of the chores.
'Recently Retired' can be wonderful and leave you feeling unmoored in equal measure. 
I didn't want my husband to do anything in the home he was the gardener and chauffeur
Can I say don't betoo quick to allocate responsibilities. We have been retired for some time and if I weren't around my Husband would be spending a lot of his time in grubby, rumpled clothes reading the washing machine instructions whilst eating already meal! 😀
Smileless2012
Since we drastically downsized 2 years ago Mr. S. doesn't do any cleaning but washes up and/or loads the dishwasher; he does clean the outside windows when I ask him too.
In your place I would say that I don't want a strict schedule preferring to do things when I think they need doing and suggest he does the same.
I would advise you to be very careful if you follow Smiless' advice. Few men can see when housework needs to be done, so if you want your husband to help with hoovering, dusting, washing floors and clothes, then make the scedule he has asked for.
The very fact that he is asking for one points to the fact the he cannot just do things at random times when they "need" to be done.
If you are happy to do the housework, washing, etc. and leave the gardening, home repairs and accounting to your husband this seems a fair division of labour.
But whatever you do, factor in some time-off for you both individually and as a couple.
I don't want to seem negative but he's the one you need to talk to about this. A bunch of disparate people with a range of personal views and habits can't solve the problem. Do what suits you both. It will require a lot of focussed discussion but, short of one person becoming a tyrant and the other a slave, that's the only way you can resolve the balance.
As you say he is a person who works well with a system, I suggest you (a) talk about it (b) agree on what you both feels doing and how often. When you are both reasonably happy with the equity of work share - set a 'when' or if it suits you better, a 'how long for' and see how you go.
When we moved here we were both retired and to keep the place good I needed help so we've settled on one morning a week, I do all rooms with taps in, he does dry rooms. I do all laundry related stuff. Cooking and clearing etc is shared. Shopping is shared. Mending, replacements, gardening are as and when. Of course pressing social things, low energy etc we adapt BUT I do not clean in other times or when he is not home doing useful stuff too. Breeds resentment! Unseen work is unknown work.
I felt this was appropriate for this thread.
www.facebook.com/reel/1534749201225015
I cannot think of anything g worse than being retired and then having a “schedule” for anything, at all, ever.
Clean when it looks like it needs a clean!
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

