Gransnet forums

Pets

Ignorant dog owners…

(37 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 23-Sept-26 16:50:26

Have just come off the beach fuming. I was already grumpy seeing so much dog poo on the path to the beach. Then had another dog owner throwing a ball for their off lead dog past our poor on lead dog who was getting more and more frustrated at not being able to run after it ( I don’t think the owner should have been throwing the ball all the time anyway; it was only a tiny dog and must have been running non stop for an hour). I can only walk easily on the firm sand by the outgoing tide but a group of four people were standing on it with their four large dogs. So we walked around them onto the deep sand that I struggle with to get out of their way. Blow me they started throwing a ball towards us and two of the large dogs kept chasing it and then ran towards our dog barking. They could see our dog spinning round. I shouted ‘away’ to their dogs and had the usual reply of ‘it’s ok they’re friendly’.I shouted to them that our dog had been attacked in the past. I started to walk on but then totally lost my temper, went up to them and pointed out that because of the attack my partner panics when dogs run towards us. One of them said that being on a beach we’d have to get used to it because there were dogs everywhere. To which I replied ‘ I do realise that; I actually live here’. Thankfully on leaving the beach a lady with two little dogs saw us and put her dogs on a lead straight away so she was subjected to me having a good old moan but thanked her profusely for being so nice. I know my dogs and I know which dogs to worry about. They were setters so not nasty dogs but they were big, in a pack and they were barking at us. Sorry for the rant. Still trying to calm down. I very rarely lose my temper but, when I do it makes me quite ill! And if I hear anyone else say ‘it’s okay he’s friendly’ I think my head will blow off. I try to be considerate towards other dogs, their owners and also people that don’t like dogs or are afraid of them which is why I get so annoyed.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 17:04:16

As a lifelong dog lover and owner I simply could not agree more!

Some people shouldn’t be allowed a goldfish let alone a dog.

One of our gorgeous previous dog was in our local park as a pup, on a CV lead, with our 12 year old daughter. Another group of kids had a much bigger dog off the lead, which ran over to our dear pup and snapped in his face, actually managing to bit right through his tongue, two holes and so much blood!

A lovely lady with a big friending GS dog (on a lead) rang me and stayed with DD til I arrived by car to take them both home.

Not only was DD near hysterical, put our dear lovely working cocker off other dogs for years.

And breathe…. It was well over 15+ years ago, but I’m still angry and upset if I ever think about it! Grrrrrrr

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 17:05:25

Just on a lead, not sure where “CV” popped up from haha

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 17:20:27

I couldn’t agree more with your post MayBee. We have had dogs in the past and always trained them and kept them leashed in public places. The other day I couldn’t believe it when I saw a mum with two school children and a Lab off its leash walking casually along the pavement as we returned from a coffee in our favourite cafe. I said nothing because am used to dog owners being rude when challenged but was horrified, it is a busy road which the dog could easily run into if he saw another dog on the opposite pavement, or the dog could run up to a child who might run into the road to avoid it. I just think that some - not all - dog owners are extremely entitled, and as for the oft used old chestnut ‘is ok my dog is friendly’, it just doesn’t wash anymore, because nobody is asking if the dog is friendly they are asking why the owners are so infuriating.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 23-Sept-26 17:28:35

Oh MayBee70, I'd be fuming too. Before moving here I used to walk my timid little dog at a local beach.
One day a dog was bombing toward us barking like mad, my terrified little boy launched into my arms and the owner was shrieking at me to
"put him down, mine just wants to play". He was leaping up at us and thank goodness a young woman came running over and pulled him off.
I hadn't had him for long (little rescue, frightened of everything) so that was our introduction to the type of owner who doesn't care enough to train their dog.

Astitchintime Wed 23-Sept-26 17:33:55

There is no accounting for some peoples ignorant and stupidity! My pet hate is dogs on extending leads……..owner walking along, phone in hand totally oblivious that their bloody dog is wandering all over the place on the extending lead and creating a trip hazard for any other pedestrian!

For any dog owner who uses an extending lead in this way…….JUST STOP!

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 17:39:14

Astitchintime

There is no accounting for some peoples ignorant and stupidity! My pet hate is dogs on extending leads……..owner walking along, phone in hand totally oblivious that their bloody dog is wandering all over the place on the extending lead and creating a trip hazard for any other pedestrian!

For any dog owner who uses an extending lead in this way…….JUST STOP!

Have also seen a dog squat and do a poo whilst on an extending lead but the owner is miles ahead and oblivious.

25Avalon Wed 23-Sept-26 22:43:03

I saw someone’s dog do a poo as they were walking through a pathway in town. Person walked on ignoring it. I quickly whipped a poo bag out of my pocket and asked if they’d like it. Embarrassed they said they didn’t own the dog but picked up nonetheless.

My lab is very nervous and if she senses another dog might be aggressive or a threat she lunges and snarls to scare it off with me just about managing to keep her back on the lead. Dogs off leads running at her are a no no for her and me.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Sept-26 23:06:57

My dog just spins around excitedly and bumps into my arthritic knee! I was angry enough at having to walk further onto deep sand to walk around them without their dogs running at me and my dog barking. A few years ago dogs were going to be banned from the beach but it didn’t happen because we signed a petition to stop it. So poo everywhere and out of control dogs really annoy me. All they had to do was say ‘sorry’ ( the magic word) instead of making me out to be the unreasonable one! No one should let an off lead dog run up to one that’s on lead because they have no idea why they are on a lead. It could be reactivity, illness or, as in my case, a lame owner. I think I’m going to get her one of those yellow nervous dog jackets even though she actually isn’t!

OldFrill Thu 24-Sept-26 00:18:50

Why do people think it's ok to offer random dogs treats. My dog thinks it Christmas come early when the beach is busy, she strolls about eyeing pockets and hands, looking deceivingly cute. I usually say "she's watching her weight" rather than "they'll give her the shits" but either way it's a battle to get the refusal out (to the ones that bother to ask) before she's gulped down goodness knows what.

lovethepuppies Thu 24-Sept-26 03:16:09

I hate the, "It's fine, they're friendly!" I just say, "Mine's not!" Or, as they approach, "He's reactive!" Seems to work. My dog is actually fine but he is reactive, so the warning is fair. I've also had it suggested to say, "He's just recovering from gastro! You might want to keep your dog away." Apparently it's the most effective because then people have some skin in the game in terms of sick dog and vet costs.

David49 Thu 24-Sept-26 08:40:39

Far too many entitled dog owners who think everyone should think their mutt should tolerated when is misbehaving. Worse than parents with unruly children.

Ray82 Thu 24-Sept-26 14:37:25

Don't mention dogs and unruly children.

Siptree Thu 24-Sept-26 14:41:42

We live next to common where cattle graze I the summer. A couple of weeks ago a couple, who remained unidentified, had a husky of the lead that starting chasing the cows and set off a stampede. It was lucky that not many people were around at the time it could have been extremely dangerous. They are often incidences of swans and ducks being attacked by dogs too as the river runs through. There are plenty of sign saying dogs must be on leads.

icanhandthemback Thu 24-Sept-26 14:44:11

I agree that these dogs had owners that were ignorant. However, if an owner is throwing the ball for their dogs on the beach away from you, I don't think they are doing anything wrong even if your dog is desperate to join in. It is perfectly possible (but hard work) to teach your dog to leave or to distract it as part of its training. That said, I can see that it must have been painful if your dog was battering your knee.

As a dog owner, I always put my dog on lead if we encounter another dog on lead. It is the etiquette and my dog is a young dog who has not learned not to approach other dogs yet but I have had other dogs who didn't need to be on lead but would walk politely past walking to heel.

I also agree with OldFrill that giving treats to another person's dog is wrong. My dog only has BARF or treats that are high protein, low additives and that is for a very good reason. I will always ask if a dog is interest in them if it is alright. Even with friends, we have an agreement that we only treat our own dogs. That way their dogs (and mine) learn not to pester anybody else because it is thankless.

Owners that leave their dogs faeces around, bagged or not, are just the pits. On a rare occasion I can't find my dog's offerings which are normally disguised despite copious efforts to find it so I always clean up a couple of other people's. It's not ideal but I hope it mitigates the problem in some way. Incidentally, I absolutely hate cleaning up other dog's offerings. They are rarely raw fed and smell revolting. One of the problems in finding my dog's is that they barely smell and it doesn't help I have a problem with spacial awareness.

Fallingstar Thu 24-Sept-26 14:47:21

Dogs should be banned from the beach during periods when children will be playing there - spring, summer, and early autumn - because they dig in the sand and handle it. And from my own experience I know that every park and cafe/restaurant seems to be fine with dogs going there, so they are hardly without places to go.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Sept-26 14:55:59

Most of the dogs in the country park I walk in are well behaved but I was jumped on by a large out of control dog. I have arthritis in both hips and it nearly knocked me over..

The woman owner was laughing and saying She won't hurt you.. I told the woman that I could have easily fallen and at 79 with painful hips that could easily have happened.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:10:13

icanhandthemback

I agree that these dogs had owners that were ignorant. However, if an owner is throwing the ball for their dogs on the beach away from you, I don't think they are doing anything wrong even if your dog is desperate to join in. It is perfectly possible (but hard work) to teach your dog to leave or to distract it as part of its training. That said, I can see that it must have been painful if your dog was battering your knee.

As a dog owner, I always put my dog on lead if we encounter another dog on lead. It is the etiquette and my dog is a young dog who has not learned not to approach other dogs yet but I have had other dogs who didn't need to be on lead but would walk politely past walking to heel.

I also agree with OldFrill that giving treats to another person's dog is wrong. My dog only has BARF or treats that are high protein, low additives and that is for a very good reason. I will always ask if a dog is interest in them if it is alright. Even with friends, we have an agreement that we only treat our own dogs. That way their dogs (and mine) learn not to pester anybody else because it is thankless.

Owners that leave their dogs faeces around, bagged or not, are just the pits. On a rare occasion I can't find my dog's offerings which are normally disguised despite copious efforts to find it so I always clean up a couple of other people's. It's not ideal but I hope it mitigates the problem in some way. Incidentally, I absolutely hate cleaning up other dog's offerings. They are rarely raw fed and smell revolting. One of the problems in finding my dog's is that they barely smell and it doesn't help I have a problem with spacial awareness.

They were throwing the ball towards my dog even though we’d moved away from them. They were throwing the ball because they were wrapped up in their conversation and were throwing the ball to keep their dogs occupied. After we’d moved away from them the dogs ran towards us barking. That’s when I told the dogs to go away and they shouted ‘they’re friendly’. If, by throwing a ball you can see it is upsetting another dog you should wait until you’re away from it imo. Also when you throw a ball for a dog on a beach every time the dog picks it up it invests a small amount of sand. Ok if it’s only a few times but over a period of time it can cause problems. My dog has been taught to leave. The owners of the large dogs should have recalled their dogs as soon as they started barking at us. She’s been attacked on the beach several times by small dogs that run up to her and go for her throat. That’s why we’re always so vigilant.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:11:46

It is also obvious that I have a mobility problem, too.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:20:37

Siptree

We live next to common where cattle graze I the summer. A couple of weeks ago a couple, who remained unidentified, had a husky of the lead that starting chasing the cows and set off a stampede. It was lucky that not many people were around at the time it could have been extremely dangerous. They are often incidences of swans and ducks being attacked by dogs too as the river runs through. There are plenty of sign saying dogs must be on leads.

I’ve very rarely seen a husky off lead. They are lovely dogs and I’m particularly fond of them but they have no recall and their owners are usually aware of it. The only time I walk my dog near cattle is when they’re in the dunes. They will be moved on in October. They have miles of land to roam, they don’t have calves and aren’t territorial about it. We still make a detour when we see them, though. I do give other dogs treats but only if their owner agrees to it. It’s a way of distracting my dog too. And she’s thrilled to bits if someone gives her a treat and talks to her as she’s not a cute cuddly sort of dog that attracts attention.

Plevey08 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:44:14

Someone on a previous doggie thread had a stock response to any dog owner who announced " It's alright, he's friendly" would say " Yes, but I'm not".
Colourless, extended dog leads are a nightmare for any visual impairment. After an eye op and my first walk out, I only just managed not to trip over it. Oblivious dog owner and narrow pavement.
Horrible experience for you and your dog MayBee.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:33:00

A dog on an extendable lead ran into the road in front of our car. Didn’t hit it because we always look out for that sort of thing. The owner was completely oblivious to all of it.

Plevey08 Thu 24-Sept-26 18:34:45

Grrrr or woof! Woof! Me thinks

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Sept-26 21:32:51

it’s okay he’s friendly

I hear this from every dog owner! Having been bitten by an off lead dog as a child I am very afraid of dogs.
Some dog owners seem to think everybody will welcome their dog jumping on them, snuggling near them in cafes or barking non stop.
I have friends with dogs who are trained not to do that!

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Sept-26 21:33:56

Colourless, extended dog leads are a nightmare for any visual impairment. After an eye op and my first walk out, I only just managed not to trip over it. Oblivious dog owner and narrow pavement

Absolutely lethal things.