Gransnet forums

News & politics

What Happened To The 'Brave' American Eagle Then?

(26 Posts)
Margs Tue 06-Oct-26 06:15:34

They couldn't scuttle back to the US fast enough. At least the people of Fairford may feel a little safer - the Americans set up various locations in the UK as targets for foreign hostile governments then when it got a little hairy they run back to The Land Of The Free at eye-watering speed!

Now for the rest of their military bases. They are nothing more than a liability.

Oreo Tue 06-Oct-26 08:36:03

There was some talk of drone attacks and if you realise how much a B1 bomber costs then it makes sense as they aren’t being used at the moment so a safe American airbase is the practical answer.They will be back if they need to use the base at Fairford.
The US are allies, whether you like it or not.

JenniferEccles Tue 06-Oct-26 08:53:15

I don’t blame Trump at all. I expect he was shocked, as I was that the Fairford suspects were released on bail.

greyfur16 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:58:26

JenniferEccles

I don’t blame Trump at all. I expect he was shocked, as I was that the Fairford suspects were released on bail.

Oh dear.

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Oct-26 09:02:03

I do hope this isn't to quietly assist his mate Putin and leave Europe more exposed to Russia...

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 09:34:43

JenniferEccles

I don’t blame Trump at all. I expect he was shocked, as I was that the Fairford suspects were released on bail.

Embarrassed at his own idiocy in making unsubstantiated statements about them before they were questioned and their electronics checked would be nearer the mark I suspect.

25Avalon Tue 06-Oct-26 09:53:12

It flew away😂

AGAA4 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:00:35

25Avalon

It flew away😂

😄 can't say I blame it.

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 10:03:21

NotSpaghetti

I do hope this isn't to quietly assist his mate Putin and leave Europe more exposed to Russia...

I doubt that is true but wouldn’t rule anything out with Trump who hasn’t much to say about Putin but has viciously laid into all his European allies.

Margs Tue 06-Oct-26 10:11:01

Oreo

There was some talk of drone attacks and if you realise how much a B1 bomber costs then it makes sense as they aren’t being used at the moment so a safe American airbase is the practical answer.They will be back if they need to use the base at Fairford.
The US are allies, whether you like it or not.

But just their very presence tainted us and lined us up in the sights of every anti-American faction.

Margs Tue 06-Oct-26 10:11:41

100% correct.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:35:00

Another reason to bolster UK defences.

butterandjam Tue 06-Oct-26 12:05:59

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm4gjgzjrvp5o

"A report from the Pentagon's inspector general published in mid-July found that the war had led to shortfalls in critical munitions and a bottleneck in resupply. >...<Republican campaign strategists are reportedly worried that negative opinions of Trump will hurt their party's chances in next month's elections, in which control of Congress hangs in the balance."

It strikes me that " Bringing Our Bombers Back Home" may be an electoral strategy for the Mid Terms.

It also stuck me that the whole Fairford Incident ( three empty BIG WHITE VANS; 5 masked men, one of whom dialled 999 to report themselves) NO EXPLOSIVES OR WEAPONS was either the handiwork of totally incompetent terrorists; or a staged performance by ham actors doing their very best to get noticed and arrested and create a great big stink about the security risk to US Bombers and Fairford.

Then they get released on bail ???????????????

Result; Trump has instant excuse to remove all bombers without losing face.

I think we've been played in a hoax by the charlatan and British police know it. Here's Britain’s head of counter-terrorism Assistant commissioner Laurence Taylor :

“Be assured, we are considering this from every possible angle, including that this may be actively committed by proxies or individuals either knowingly or unknowingly working on behalf of a foreign state.”

nanna8 Tue 06-Oct-26 12:28:52

Trump has done the right thing. The UK lets suspected terrorists out to re offend. Fair enough if they are happy to choose that but I wouldn’t put very expensive gear at risk, either.

BlessedArt Tue 06-Oct-26 12:41:58

Can’t blame the Americans for our government essentially relying on them for “protection”. The Americans are protecting their expensive assets first and foremost. It’s just plain common sense that a military base would be a target during a live war, so anyone shocked needs to give their own heads a wobble and wake up.

greyfur16 Tue 06-Oct-26 12:56:47

The UK lets suspected terrorists out to re offend

Gosh you must be very high up in the security services.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 13:03:14

JenniferEccles

I don’t blame Trump at all. I expect he was shocked, as I was that the Fairford suspects were released on bail.

😂🤣😂

petra Tue 06-Oct-26 13:22:08

Oreo

There was some talk of drone attacks and if you realise how much a B1 bomber costs then it makes sense as they aren’t being used at the moment so a safe American airbase is the practical answer.They will be back if they need to use the base at Fairford.
The US are allies, whether you like it or not.

If you care to read this article you will understand that the us has never been, never will be anyone’s allies.
Every decision/ move that the us takes is in their interest, nobody else’s.

www.dawn.com/news/1940659

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 13:24:34

25Avalon

It flew away😂

😂🤣😂🤣

butterandjam Tue 06-Oct-26 15:09:44

nanna8

Trump has done the right thing. The UK lets suspected terrorists out to re offend. Fair enough if they are happy to choose that but I wouldn’t put very expensive gear at risk, either.

Sorry, Nanna, but British legal procedures suggests they never were a terrorism threat.

The five men were arrested on Sunday. *They could have been held, interrogated, investigated etc for 14 days under the Terrorism Act or National Security Act*; instead they were released on bail within 48 hours. It sounds as if Counter Terrorism's investigations speedily exonerated all of them from suspicion of terrorism offences.

Terrorism suspects would still be detained.

AmberGran Tue 06-Oct-26 15:13:31

If you care to read this article you will understand that the us has never been, never will be anyone’s allies.

Totally agree.

When I lived in the US a young American woman asked me if I was grateful to the US for the protection of their 'Star Wars' shield and their bases in the UK. She looked utterly shocked when I pointed out to her that their bases weren't there to protect us but we provided them with a base as far East as they could go, which gave them earlier warning of missile attacks. (This was over 15 years ago.) Their 'shield' would have done diddly squat for us.

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 15:13:46

butterandjam

nanna8

Trump has done the right thing. The UK lets suspected terrorists out to re offend. Fair enough if they are happy to choose that but I wouldn’t put very expensive gear at risk, either.

Sorry, Nanna, but British legal procedures suggests they never were a terrorism threat.

The five men were arrested on Sunday. *They could have been held, interrogated, investigated etc for 14 days under the Terrorism Act or National Security Act*; instead they were released on bail within 48 hours. It sounds as if Counter Terrorism's investigations speedily exonerated all of them from suspicion of terrorism offences.

Terrorism suspects would still be detained.

Rubio has said he "wouldn't directly tie" the redeployment of the planes to the security alert close to the RAF base.

He added: "It's not unusual to see movement of assets to different parts of the world based on exercises, redeployments, people changing out and new people coming in, new planes coming in and old planes going out."

From Sky News.

petra Wed 07-Oct-26 12:30:44

This is what happened to the brave American eagle.

www.facebook.com/reel/948257601692891

David49 Wed 07-Oct-26 13:51:33

If Russia starts attacking our assets they may be back sooner than you think
U2 spyplanes have been operating out of Fairford for many years.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 08:50:35

Is anyone shocked?

I don't think so, BlessedArt