Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeffrey Archer has died

(57 Posts)
Patsy70 Mon 05-Oct-26 22:01:57

Just heard that Jeffrey Archer has died unexpectedly at the age of 86. He was due to publish his new novel ‘Adam and Eve’.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 10:13:34

GrannyGravy13

Cossy I never insult people on here or in the real world. My post was not meant to offend.

A fair few posters have brought up his criminal history, and rightly so, which is part of his life.

I just get a bit spikey as all offenders, whatever their background and whoever they are should be afforded the same treatment regarding their crimes and rehabilitation.

And, yes I appreciate that everyone hasn’t got the same family support or money to help them. However, in the UK we should all be equal in the eyes of the law.

If only we were! flowers

You are never offensive and others, as you’ve stated, have pointed out not only his crime but the effect on his victim, oddly they were not “singled out” to be insulted.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 10:22:28

Cossy my post was an accumulative response, not directed at any poster individually.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 10:30:55

GrannyGravy13

Cossy my post was an accumulative response, not directed at any poster individually.

I understand that, however, it did make me resolve to choose my words slightly more carefully in the future.

I am someone who advocates rehabilitation and second chances, so you are right, I should apply this to all criminals who’ve served their sentences.

Despite this, there’s a teeny part of me who just cannot help thinking how much easier it is some, the very few, rather than the many and that perhaps we should also look at the why of crimes committed.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 10:34:42

Cossy I agree 👍

For some from deprived areas criminality is a way of life in families and their neighbours.

I can only guess that they feel they have more chance starting off with petty crimes than they would with decent GCSE’s and a low paid job.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 12:49:55

Probably, I should leave this thread in peace.

As I stated earlier, I feel for JA’s family and close friends, death is never easy for those left behind.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 14:01:39

eazybee

Cossy, your post does not surprise me in the slightest.
You demean yourself.

What an absolute shame that you cannot follow your own so keenly given advice,

if you cannot say anything pleasant, say nothing. Eazybee 9:38 today. smile