eazybee
Cossy, your post does not surprise me in the slightest.
You demean yourself.
What an absolute shame that you cannot follow your own so keenly given advice,
if you cannot say anything pleasant, say nothing. Eazybee 9:38 today. 
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
Just heard that Jeffrey Archer has died unexpectedly at the age of 86. He was due to publish his new novel ‘Adam and Eve’.
eazybee
Cossy, your post does not surprise me in the slightest.
You demean yourself.
What an absolute shame that you cannot follow your own so keenly given advice,
if you cannot say anything pleasant, say nothing. Eazybee 9:38 today. 
Probably, I should leave this thread in peace.
As I stated earlier, I feel for JA’s family and close friends, death is never easy for those left behind.
Cossy I agree 👍
For some from deprived areas criminality is a way of life in families and their neighbours.
I can only guess that they feel they have more chance starting off with petty crimes than they would with decent GCSE’s and a low paid job.
GrannyGravy13
Cossy my post was an accumulative response, not directed at any poster individually.
I understand that, however, it did make me resolve to choose my words slightly more carefully in the future.
I am someone who advocates rehabilitation and second chances, so you are right, I should apply this to all criminals who’ve served their sentences.
Despite this, there’s a teeny part of me who just cannot help thinking how much easier it is some, the very few, rather than the many and that perhaps we should also look at the why of crimes committed.
Cossy my post was an accumulative response, not directed at any poster individually.
GrannyGravy13
Cossy I never insult people on here or in the real world. My post was not meant to offend.
A fair few posters have brought up his criminal history, and rightly so, which is part of his life.
I just get a bit spikey as all offenders, whatever their background and whoever they are should be afforded the same treatment regarding their crimes and rehabilitation.
And, yes I appreciate that everyone hasn’t got the same family support or money to help them. However, in the UK we should all be equal in the eyes of the law.
If only we were! 
You are never offensive and others, as you’ve stated, have pointed out not only his crime but the effect on his victim, oddly they were not “singled out” to be insulted.
Cossy I never insult people on here or in the real world. My post was not meant to offend.
A fair few posters have brought up his criminal history, and rightly so, which is part of his life.
I just get a bit spikey as all offenders, whatever their background and whoever they are should be afforded the same treatment regarding their crimes and rehabilitation.
And, yes I appreciate that everyone hasn’t got the same family support or money to help them. However, in the UK we should all be equal in the eyes of the law.
GrannyGravy13
Oh dear, we are frequently told on GN that those who have offended should be given help on their release and allowed to get on with life after rehabilitation.
He was fortunate to have a home to go to, so need for a bail hostel.
I absolutely take your very made well point.
It might make me a little hypocritical too.
Thank you for making the point so succinctly and without personally insulting me.
Oh dear, we are frequently told on GN that those who have offended should be given help on their release and allowed to get on with life after rehabilitation.
He was fortunate to have a home to go to, so need for a bail hostel.
eazybee
Cossy, your post does not surprise me in the slightest.
You demean yourself.
Thank you.
Shall I report you? At no point did I point to a person here nor did I make any personal remarks.
🤷🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️
Cossy, your post does not surprise me in the slightest.
You demean yourself.
Kandinsky
*Should we gloss over truths just because he has died?*
I think it’s good etiquette to keep negative opinions to yourself on a condolence thread.
I couldn’t stand Esther Rantzen ( too many comments about what she’d heard about Jimmy Saville but she did nothing )
…but I wouldn’t have said that on her condolence thread.
I just kept off it.
I’d absolutely agree if this was one of your relatives or friends.
He wasn’t and this is a public forum.
It’s nothing to do with “etiquette” and everything to do with the truth and facts.
I’m going to upset some of you, sorry, not sorry!
He was a convicted criminal who was extremely well educated and wrote amazing novels and didn’t need or have to commit perjury.
Dying peacefully in this sleep and being described as a “bit of a rogue” doesn’t alter facts!
Given the grief some people have chosen to give and label other MPs who’ve never ever even been investigation or charged with anything, I find the description “rogue” to be incredibly insulting.
A good few MPs crossed the line and ended up in prison. They all seemed to be benefit from it upon their release, no bail hostels for them and the rest of their lives ruined! Book deals galore and remainder of their lives spent living the high life.
Oh the utter hypocrisy!
I’m sorry for his family and friends that he’s died and I’m glad for him that, unlike many many others, he appears to have died very peacefully, but let’s not sugar coat his past, it wasn’t a “mistake” or done because he “had no choice”. He lied under oath.
say
Should we gloss over truths just because he has died?
No we should not, and will not, but a thread immediately following a sudden and unexpected death where some people are expressing condolences is neither the time nor the place.
Kadinsky my thoughts exactly; if you you cannot ay anything pleasant, say nothing.
Should we gloss over truths just because he has died?
I think it’s good etiquette to keep negative opinions to yourself on a condolence thread.
I couldn’t stand Esther Rantzen ( too many comments about what she’d heard about Jimmy Saville but she did nothing )
…but I wouldn’t have said that on her condolence thread.
I just kept off it.
MollyNew
In his interview with the BBC last week, he said that having served a custodial sentence, he realised how lucky he was. So he had learned a salutary lesson.
However, I always find it interesting that while ex-offenders in Lord Archer's position are remembered as having committed their offence, paid the price and been rehabilitated, the same tolerance isn't as widely offered to most ex-offenders who are not as famous and well connected.
I don't think JA was ever employed so getting a job as an ex con was not an issue, Im sure those associated with him took his character into account with any dealings business or social
In his interview with the BBC last week, he said that having served a custodial sentence, he realised how lucky he was. So he had learned a salutary lesson.
However, I always find it interesting that while ex-offenders in Lord Archer's position are remembered as having committed their offence, paid the price and been rehabilitated, the same tolerance isn't as widely offered to most ex-offenders who are not as famous and well connected.
Not read any of his books but might try one now.
Seen and heard lots of kind words today from people who knew him very well and they all say he threw great parties, he was charming and could spin a good yarn.
Seems he was also a fantasist from an early age and claimed his father was a war hero (he wasn’t) and embellished his own qualifications to get into Uni. Loads more false claims too. Maybe that’s why he was such a great writer. He certainly fooled a lot of people.
Reminds me very much of the very recent case of the late Professor Jason Arday.
Should we gloss over truths just because he has died? 🤔
Wealth estimated at £250m but he was clever so probably little tax will get paid
Mary is 81 having recovered from bladder cancer in 2011
After one of Jeffrey's affairs was exposed Mary was interviewed by Parkinson ? one of his questions was " have you ever thought of divorce" to which he got the answer "divorce never, murder often"
Takes all kinds
Some people clearly unable to respect what began as a thread of condolence.
Grandmotherto8
Sad for Monica Coughlan's family that he is largely being eulogised and his lying on oath dismissed. She was humiliated in court and her very hard life ruined by Archer. Ms Coughlan died just before his second trial where she was vindicated and he was jailed for six years. His 'fragrant' wife lived a life of luxury while Ms Coughlan's son was orphaned.
He’s not being eulogised by me. The way he lied on oath about that poor woman is unforgivable 🤬
Jeffrey Archer was a master story teller …. I’ve read many of his books and just because of the circumstances I’ve bought his latest book rather than wait for the paperback. I bet Adam & Eve is a sell out.
Grandmotherto8
Sad for Monica Coughlan's family that he is largely being eulogised and his lying on oath dismissed. She was humiliated in court and her very hard life ruined by Archer. Ms Coughlan died just before his second trial where she was vindicated and he was jailed for six years. His 'fragrant' wife lived a life of luxury while Ms Coughlan's son was orphaned.
People have short memories and are very selective in their views. Wasn't an Archer fan.
Pulp fiction formulaic books. Described as catering to incredibly awful taste of the Tory grasss roots.
Convicted criminal and a massive self publicist .
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.