Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Ranulph Fiennes

(164 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 26-Sept-26 22:39:38

I heard yesterday and upset me to read that Sir Ranulph Fiennes who is classed as the greatest living explorer is being kept in a care home "unlawfully deprived of his liberty", being forced to wear sunglasses and a hat in case someone recognises him. Kept in a care home illegally under a false name. I know he is suffering from Parkinson's disease.

I had the pleasure of attending one of his lectures a few years ago and was able to speak to him, he was such a humble and gracious man and I shall always remember our conversation.

His wife is in charge of his care and she is saying her husband is ex-SAS whose life might be in danger from extremists.

But his family and friends very upset over the circumstances and want to take the matter further, basically blaming his wife.

I just truly hope she is trying to protect her husband but articles are not really suggesting that and that his wife is accountable for the present problem.

Has anyone else read any more on this or further news?

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 27-Sept-26 10:42:20

MawsRosie

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

What makes you say this?

It's a question I ask about most "news". Just a question not an accusation.

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 10:50:56

DaisyAnneReturns

MawsRosie

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

What makes you say this?

It's a question I ask about most "news". Just a question not an accusation.

But at what point after doing your own digging/reading and research do you allow yourself to stop being sceptical?
Obviously we could all be wrong but for respected individuals such as Ben Fogle, Bear Grylls, John Simpson, Robin Hanbury-Tenison, fellow explorer ,Anton Bowring, plus his sister in law and his stepson to all be voicing concern suggests all is not as it should be.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 10:55:12

It’s “ok” to question “news@, it’s also ok to research oneself too.

Some bizarre stories have been proven to be totally untrue.

I’m not sure this is the case here though,

Fallingstar Sun 27-Sept-26 11:00:43

I believe the OPG - Office of the Public Guardian - has been alerted.
Seems old friend John Simpson has also raised concerns.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 27-Sept-26 11:10:48

MawsRosie

DaisyAnneReturns

MawsRosie

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

What makes you say this?

It's a question I ask about most "news". Just a question not an accusation.

But at what point after doing your own digging/reading and research do you allow yourself to stop being sceptical?
Obviously we could all be wrong but for respected individuals such as Ben Fogle, Bear Grylls, John Simpson, Robin Hanbury-Tenison, fellow explorer ,Anton Bowring, plus his sister in law and his stepson to all be voicing concern suggests all is not as it should be.

^But at what point after doing your own digging/reading and research do you allow yourself to stop being sceptical? (MawsRosie).

I think that would need the ability to distinguish scepticism from perpetual doubt. The first is healthy epistemic humility; the second doesn't follow from it.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 12:09:10

A sufficient number of people have raised concerns for this to be taken seriously.

It is bizarre behaviour on the part of the wife and sounds like elder abuse, especially with his wife's insistence on providing the medication and a private carer, as he was not registered with a GP local to one of the care homes.

eazybee Sun 27-Sept-26 12:14:59

epistemic humility

Oh dear.

62Granny Sun 27-Sept-26 12:30:56

Her own son, Sir Ranulph's stepson is saying he has had no contact with him for a few years despite having had a close relationship in the past, and he has set up a crowd funding page to get legal help. So sad, she has obviously got some mental problems but surely this should be picked up by the Authorities/ social services if she moving him around all care home are regulated.

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 13:01:31

eazybee

^epistemic humility^

Oh dear.

Blimey!

BlueBelle Sun 27-Sept-26 13:15:23

Nearly exactly this happened to my friend She had been in a very long-term relationship with her partner, they had a house together and had happily been in a partnership for a very long time, they both got quite poorly, and she was unable to care for him as she had to have ‘in hospital’ treatment so she temporarily found him respite care in a nice care home while she was in hospital . I believe she had cancer, however unbeknown to her, his family (who had never liked her) moved him to a different care home, and told the care home management that that she wasn’t allowed to visit under any circumstances. This poor lady couldn’t find him, he had disappeared she was distraught. Eventually she found where he was but the care home management wouldn’t allow her to visit . He actually died before she ever got to see him again, she was heartbroken, she wasn’t even told when or where the funeral was.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 27-Sept-26 13:22:00

The law is the law and care homes have to respect that. Whether it's gossip or fact it's probably a good time to set up a Power of Attorney if you haven't already done so.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Sept-26 13:26:02

Thanks for your advice DAR I m sure most of us on here have done that already, have you ?

notgran Sun 27-Sept-26 13:38:06

MawsRosie

notgran

He actually was in the TA's version of the SAS. I worked for a time with Army Officers who got very cross when his Military "exploits" were hugely exaggerated.

Confusing, I read this
The Royal Scots Greys: He joined his father's former tank regiment as an officer during the Cold War.
Special Air Service (SAS): He later joined the elite Special Air Service (SAS) as a demolitions expert, becoming the youngest captain in the British Army at the time. He was eventually dismissed from the SAS following an off-duty stunt involving a film set explosion.
^Oman: He completed counter-insurgency operations while attached to the Army of the Sultan of Oman, where he won the Sultan's Bravery Medal^

As a matter of interest MawsRosie, where was this from?

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 27-Sept-26 13:56:42

BlueBelle

Thanks for your advice DAR I m sure most of us on here have done that already, have you ?

Why do you feel the need to share what to most is confidential and then cross examine others demanding that they also share on an open forum?

Galaxy Sun 27-Sept-26 14:45:13

It seems to be the power of attorney that is causing the issue to be honest.

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 15:13:27

@ notgran
"Training: After struggling to achieve the required academic marks for the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Ranulph Fiennes attended the Mons Officer Cadet School.
Commission: He successfully commissioned into his father's former regiment, the Royal Scots Greys (an armored cavalry tank unit).
Selection and Dismissal from the SAS
Special Air Service: He passed selection for the elite SAS and specialized in demolitions, achieving the rank of captain at a remarkably young age.
The Movie Set Incident: In 1966, while still training with the SAS, he and a fellow officer attempted to use army explosives to blow up a fake concrete dam built in Castle Combe for the production of the movie Doctor Dolittle, which they felt ruined the natural village.
Dismissal: The stunt resulted in a heavy fine and his immediate dismissal from the SAS, though he was allowed to return briefly to service with the Royal Scots Greys.
Service in Oman
Dhofar War: Seeking active field command, he was seconded to the Army of the Sultanate of Oman during the Dhofar Rebellion.
Bravery Medal: His active frontline service earned him the Sultan's Bravery Medal in 1970 before he left the military to begin his full-time career as an explorer."
Google, I'm afraid!

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 15:17:03

notgran

MawsRosie

notgran

He actually was in the TA's version of the SAS. I worked for a time with Army Officers who got very cross when his Military "exploits" were hugely exaggerated.

Confusing, I read this
The Royal Scots Greys: He joined his father's former tank regiment as an officer during the Cold War.
Special Air Service (SAS): He later joined the elite Special Air Service (SAS) as a demolitions expert, becoming the youngest captain in the British Army at the time. He was eventually dismissed from the SAS following an off-duty stunt involving a film set explosion.
^Oman: He completed counter-insurgency operations while attached to the Army of the Sultan of Oman, where he won the Sultan's Bravery Medal^

As a matter of interest MawsRosie, where was this from?

His military career with the Royal Scots Greys then with the SAS is well documented, notgran.

He trained at Mons Officer Cadet School, not Sandhurst, went on to join his father's regiment, then the SAS. His last two years was a secondment to the Oman Armed Forces.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 15:18:16

Crossed post, MawsRosie

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 15:23:04

I think it’s possible that there is some press sensationalisation going on here. It is the estranged stepson of his wife who has raised this. He doesn’t know where his stepfather is, that may be a for a reason. For example, according to the Metro, ‘Mrs Millington-Cotes reportedly went to extreme lengths to conceal Sir Ranulph’s identity, including insisting his wearing of a hat, sunglasses and gloves to prevent anyone recognising his face or frostbite-damaged fingers when out for walks.’

We don’t know if that is OTT, because it could be that he or she doesn’t want anybody to see him, either outside, or in his care home, in what is a very vulnerable state, it could be driven by love rather than control.

I don’t know, I’m not defending her, I just think it’s always easy to jump to negative conclusions.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 15:39:56

Casdon

I think it’s possible that there is some press sensationalisation going on here. It is the estranged stepson of his wife who has raised this. He doesn’t know where his stepfather is, that may be a for a reason. For example, according to the Metro, ‘Mrs Millington-Cotes reportedly went to extreme lengths to conceal Sir Ranulph’s identity, including insisting his wearing of a hat, sunglasses and gloves to prevent anyone recognising his face or frostbite-damaged fingers when out for walks.’

We don’t know if that is OTT, because it could be that he or she doesn’t want anybody to see him, either outside, or in his care home, in what is a very vulnerable state, it could be driven by love rather than control.

I don’t know, I’m not defending her, I just think it’s always easy to jump to negative conclusions.

Mr Millington-Coates is her son, the step-son of Sir Ranulph.

He claims that no-one has seen Sir Ranulph for two years and many people are concerned including care home staff.
According to him, his mother estranged him after a row a few years ago. Sir Ranulph's daughter has not spoken publicly about her mother's actions.

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 15:50:07

Sorry, I meant his stepson, son of his wife. Their joint daughter is young I think. As I said, I’m not saying anything other than that there might well be two sides to this story, and we have only heard one.

Galaxy Sun 27-Sept-26 16:33:12

From what I can see it is a close friend of Fiennes as well, or certainly it is him who he is providing the information on social media - michael kobold. He is making some hellish accusations.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Sept-26 16:36:46

DaisyAnneReturns

BlueBelle

Thanks for your advice DAR I m sure most of us on here have done that already, have you ?

Why do you feel the need to share what to most is confidential and then cross examine others demanding that they also share on an open forum?

‘Cross examine others’ what are you on about DAR that doesn’t make sense who am I cross examining ?

Lixy2 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:49:03

And here people is the reason I stopped posting, or indeed interacting with GN.

A thread about a brilliant, brave man who may be in trouble is at risk of descending, yet again, into a petty self interested squabble.

I don’t expect to be welcome on GN again, but there we are.

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 19:41:40

Well said!
(Yet) another iteration of “starting a rammy in an empty room”