Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Ranulph Fiennes

(163 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 26-Sept-26 22:39:38

I heard yesterday and upset me to read that Sir Ranulph Fiennes who is classed as the greatest living explorer is being kept in a care home "unlawfully deprived of his liberty", being forced to wear sunglasses and a hat in case someone recognises him. Kept in a care home illegally under a false name. I know he is suffering from Parkinson's disease.

I had the pleasure of attending one of his lectures a few years ago and was able to speak to him, he was such a humble and gracious man and I shall always remember our conversation.

His wife is in charge of his care and she is saying her husband is ex-SAS whose life might be in danger from extremists.

But his family and friends very upset over the circumstances and want to take the matter further, basically blaming his wife.

I just truly hope she is trying to protect her husband but articles are not really suggesting that and that his wife is accountable for the present problem.

Has anyone else read any more on this or further news?

Sarnia Sat 26-Sept-26 22:51:02

Even if he is ex-SAS what danger could he possibly be now in his present state of health.
His wife is 23 years younger than him. Could it be that she does not want the responsibility of caring for him at home so has tucked him away in a home using his safety as an excuse. I looked this up and she moves him around care homes under an assumed name and his family have no idea where he is. Surely that can't be right? It sounds extremely fishy to me.

DaisyAnneReturns Sat 26-Sept-26 23:12:19

Could it be that none of this is true?

OldFrill Sun 27-Sept-26 00:03:24

The Independent is reporting they have seen evidence the Welsh Care Inspectorate believe it's true.

Missing Sir Ranulph Fiennes’ family call for urgent investigation into his care | The Independent share.google/XM2ONRodWmhRWevgQ

Madmeg Sun 27-Sept-26 00:40:39

I too met him briefly abt 30 years ago - I was a presenter at a conference in the next hall to where he was speaking. The queue for his talk was a lot longer than mine!!!

Has his wife got dementia I wonder?

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 04:28:53

Has his wife got dementia I wonder?
I would think this highly unlikely. She’s a lot younger than him, in her 50’s and I find the way she seems bent on isolating him from family and friends from his former life suspicious rather than protective.
Some pretty eminent people such as Ben Fogle and Bear Grylls are among those calling for police to investigate the location of a man who is our greatest living explorer and I do wonder, if there is nothing underhand going on, why are such devious measures being taken to hide his identity?

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 04:29:25

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

What makes you say this?

grandMattie Sun 27-Sept-26 05:00:39

It all sounds very odd, doesn’t it?
Why is his wife behaving like that? And why isn’t the Office of Public Guardian taking notice of the nursing home’s worries?
BTW, the Daily Telegraph broke the investigation results last weekend.

notgran Sun 27-Sept-26 06:44:45

He actually was in the TA's version of the SAS. I worked for a time with Army Officers who got very cross when his Military "exploits" were hugely exaggerated.

Maremia Sun 27-Sept-26 07:02:53

Perhaps DAR was waiting to find out how much of this story may be validated?

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 07:14:36

grandMattie

It all sounds very odd, doesn’t it?
Why is his wife behaving like that? And why isn’t the Office of Public Guardian taking notice of the nursing home’s worries?
BTW, the Daily Telegraph broke the investigation results last weekend.

I agree @Grandmattie - I remember seeing it, wasn’t it his Goddaughter Pip Kay who wrote the article last weekend?
I imagine there’s a considerable estate involved somewhere.

MawsRosie Sun 27-Sept-26 07:24:39

notgran

He actually was in the TA's version of the SAS. I worked for a time with Army Officers who got very cross when his Military "exploits" were hugely exaggerated.

Confusing, I read this
The Royal Scots Greys: He joined his father's former tank regiment as an officer during the Cold War.
Special Air Service (SAS): He later joined the elite Special Air Service (SAS) as a demolitions expert, becoming the youngest captain in the British Army at the time. He was eventually dismissed from the SAS following an off-duty stunt involving a film set explosion.
Oman: He completed counter-insurgency operations while attached to the Army of the Sultan of Oman, where he won the Sultan's Bravery Medal

LucyAnna5 Sun 27-Sept-26 07:26:30

Dreadful situation for anyone to be in. Poor man.

This is the fundraiser page -

www.gofundme.com/f/helpingranfiennes

Galaxy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:00:58

I cant quite get my head round this. It isnt that I dont believe it, it is just it is the most incredible story. It appears his friends infiltrated the care home by one of them 'pretending' to need respite care as a resident.
There are other claims about the actions of the wife that are astounding.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Sept-26 08:17:11

Hmm - the more you unpack the story the sillier it gets.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sept-26 08:19:42

I have read this also, if I remember correctly the police have been involved and have said that he is being he,d against his wishes.

He has been moved they think around approximately 11 care homes, his wife has LPOA.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:26:29

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

It’s in all the main papers under one heading or another.

It seems that his wife moved his carehome without telling his close friends.

All very odd indeed.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:28:02

GrannyGravy13

I have read this also, if I remember correctly the police have been involved and have said that he is being he,d against his wishes.

He has been moved they think around approximately 11 care homes, his wife has LPOA.

His family firstly need to approach the office of LPOA and state they feel his wife isn’t “a fit guardian”

What an awful situation.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:31:20

Whitewavemark2

Hmm - the more you unpack the story the sillier it gets.

“Sillier” or more sinister??

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 08:48:07

It’s a strange situation that needs the clarification that his wider family and friends need to see.
Being hidden away in different care homes under a false name and not allowing friends to visit definitely needs looking at.

Fallingstar Sun 27-Sept-26 09:06:25

A very sad situation. Reading about this it appears the wife has been trying to dodge supplying legal documentation required regarding his care by constantly moving him from one care home to another, and supplying non prescription medication.
It is being investigated as far as I know.
Obviously Sir Ranulph Fiennes is extremely vulnerable and so this is a very difficult case. Rather than judge I will await further clarification.

Fallingstar Sun 27-Sept-26 09:19:48

DaisyAnneReturns

Could it be that none of this is true?

It could be far from what we imagine but I think there is cause for concern based upon so many reports, some from reputable sources, that are echoing what has been said. I certainly hope that the worst case scenario isn’t true and that there is a logical reason for what is happening.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 27-Sept-26 09:23:00

What a mean wife. Turns out she’s moved him between various Homes under different names. Very strange behaviour. Her son said he no longer speaks to her.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 09:50:05

Fallingstar

A very sad situation. Reading about this it appears the wife has been trying to dodge supplying legal documentation required regarding his care by constantly moving him from one care home to another, and supplying non prescription medication.
It is being investigated as far as I know.
Obviously Sir Ranulph Fiennes is extremely vulnerable and so this is a very difficult case. Rather than judge I will await further clarification.

👏👏👏

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 27-Sept-26 10:40:43

OldFrill

The Independent is reporting they have seen evidence the Welsh Care Inspectorate believe it's true.

Missing Sir Ranulph Fiennes’ family call for urgent investigation into his care | The Independent share.google/XM2ONRodWmhRWevgQ

Thanks OldFrill.