Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Telegraph says America has lost faith in the Special Relationship.

(28 Posts)
Margs Mon 21-Sept-26 14:11:09

Really? I always thought it was a work of fiction, mostly, and whenever it supposedly worked it only worked as a one-way street.

And not the UK's way.

So isn't it time this fairy story 'relationship' was acknowledged by both sides as a total myth? The PM really should tell Trump "sorry, no can do anymore!"

AGAA4 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:16:30

There is no special relationship especially now. I remember when I was a child after WW2 that people didn't like the 'Yanks'.
The relationship has often been uneasy and now with Trump we need to be very wary.

Fallingstar Mon 21-Sept-26 14:16:41

America has lost faith??
I think the UK lost faith in this so called ‘special’ relationship when Trump treated the UK government and our armed services with zero respect.
And many of us questioned this relationship a long time ago.
It generally seems to require our government to poodle after the US dragging our armed forces into illegal wars, and to serve as an airport for their military aircraft.

Casdon Mon 21-Sept-26 14:22:46

For as long as Trump is in power the special relationship is on hold. I don’t think it’s a total myth, but I don’t think he would understand what a special relationship was if he was slapped in the face with it. The only special relationship in his world is with himself.

CarrotTop Mon 21-Sept-26 14:27:25

Fallingstar

America has lost faith??
I think the UK lost faith in this so called ‘special’ relationship when Trump treated the UK government and our armed services with zero respect.
And many of us questioned this relationship a long time ago.
It generally seems to require our government to poodle after the US dragging our armed forces into illegal wars, and to serve as an airport for their military aircraft.

Exactly this. In any case, the relationship has never been that special - even when we begged them for help in WW2, they graciously lent us money - and demanded that we pay them back in full after the war (which we did, showing the world that at least the UK had decent principles...).

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 14:32:17

Fallingstar

America has lost faith??
I think the UK lost faith in this so called ‘special’ relationship when Trump treated the UK government and our armed services with zero respect.
And many of us questioned this relationship a long time ago.
It generally seems to require our government to poodle after the US dragging our armed forces into illegal wars, and to serve as an airport for their military aircraft.

So very well said!

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 14:34:43

Casdon

For as long as Trump is in power the special relationship is on hold. I don’t think it’s a total myth, but I don’t think he would understand what a special relationship was if he was slapped in the face with it. The only special relationship in his world is with himself.

😜😜😜

How I agree and how I’d love to slap his face……

I expect I’d have to be at the back of a very very long queue, starting with his poor countrymen and ending with the world leaders this orange faced baboon or buffoon has insulted! Then little old me grin

Maremia Mon 21-Sept-26 14:42:10

That's a laugh. America has pushed away most of its allies.
Special relationship?
Did they help Thatcher out during the Falkland War?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:46:55

I’m shocked I tell you - shocked!

On the other hand………………

M0nica Mon 21-Sept-26 14:53:33

Classic example of the manure heap calling the midden muck.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 21-Sept-26 20:16:45

Fallingstar

America has lost faith??
I think the UK lost faith in this so called ‘special’ relationship when Trump treated the UK government and our armed services with zero respect.
And many of us questioned this relationship a long time ago.
It generally seems to require our government to poodle after the US dragging our armed forces into illegal wars, and to serve as an airport for their military aircraft.

Agree with this. Trump put paid to any notion that we might rely on a good relationship with America.

MartavTaurus Mon 21-Sept-26 20:30:46

While just off the coast of Newfoundland, in Saint Pierre et Miquelon, Macron and Mark Carney have spent a few busy days forging a new special relationship. I think that will be a much stronger alliance going forward.

Eat your heart out Trump.

Casdon Mon 21-Sept-26 20:51:09

Trump might be pressing his nose against the glass soon singing I’m the Leader of the Gang (I Am) - do you wanna be in my gang. Apologies for the Gary Glitter reference, but that song suits Trump’s way of thinking perfectly.

Elegran Tue 22-Sept-26 15:40:19

The British part of the Special Relationship lost faith in America long ago, once he destroyed that faith from his end. How is it he still expects the UK end to still be alive and healthy ?

David49 Tue 22-Sept-26 16:28:50

There has always been a love hate relationship with the US but without them the Nazis would still be ruling Europe, in the Cold War we were nothing without the Yanks. Can we supply Ukraine without them, not without spending a lot more on defence.

Trump upsets everyone when he goes it will get easier, till then we make the best of what we have got, nothing any of us can do about it. Thankfully Burnham seems level headed and will do nothing to antagonize Trump.

Grantanow Thu 24-Sept-26 17:45:18

I doubt politicians ever believed in the Special Relationship. Window dressing for the masses. Nations dont have friends, they have temporary alliances.

Magenta8 Thu 24-Sept-26 17:57:47

After 9/11, NATO enacted an Article 5 response which involved British troops as part of the NATO force.

This was later described by Trump as "Staying away from the action" in one of his many insulting speeches.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:52:05

Two countries divided by a shared language.

Chestnut Fri 25-Sept-26 00:18:36

I agree it's been a love hate relationship and definitely blows warmer and cooler over time, but I think it will warm up again post Trump if someone more amenable sits in power. Or maybe the happy days of Thatcher and Reagan are gone forever. I only quote them because as I remember they were the 'dream team' as far as the special relationship went.

AGAA4 Fri 25-Sept-26 11:52:29

As one journalist put it you would think China was a close ally of the US.
Trump was really sucking up to Xi. Quite sickening really.
Certainly no special relationship with the UK.

Sarnia Fri 25-Sept-26 12:23:33

I don't think Trump was overwhelmed by Andy Burnham. Donald has likely made his mind up that we are not worth bothering with after Sir Keir Starmer, rightly in my opinion, refused to drag us into an illegal war.
How much longer is Trump in office? However long it is, it is too long.

M0nica Tue 29-Sept-26 17:05:03

I cannot see that Trump's opinion of anyone is worth the time he takes saying it, with his vocabulary so limited it would shame a 5 year old, and everything he says written in big print in a big book and his aids close to running their fingers under each word as he says it.

His vocabulary reflects his limited thought processes and the sooner he has some illness that makes it impossible for him to exercise his role and he has to be stood down, the better.

Nothing life limiting or unpleasant, just enough to make it impossible to continue to act as President.

Maremia Tue 29-Sept-26 17:25:43

But will they still wheel him out, as they are doing with Mitch McConnell, pretending all is well?

Maremia Tue 29-Sept-26 17:27:51

But on the other hand Trump did help us to thwart that very recent 'terrorist' attack.
Or so he claims. 😃

imaround Tue 29-Sept-26 18:04:01

For what it is worth, I am rather fond of you all. wink

35 days