Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Richard Osman and his House of Games

(30 Posts)
Jaxjacky Fri 02-Oct-26 12:02:21

His final programme hosting today!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Oct-26 12:12:18

I have enjoyed this week, hopefully I will be able to watch tonight’s on iplayer as we are out.

I will miss Richard, not sure that Michael Sheen is the best person to take over.

Graphite Fri 02-Oct-26 12:19:31

Why not?

Sheen is articulate, intelligent, quick-witted and funny - same qualities that Osman has.

It will just seem different for a while.

Cumbrianmale56 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:21:58

I waved to Richard Osman in Glasgow last year and he waved back. Minor claim to fame, but he always struck me as being a nice man.

shysal Mon 05-Oct-26 09:46:21

I hope I will enjoy the new series. I record and watch every weekday after my evening meal and would miss it if I decided I didn't like it. MS's scruffiness annoys me a bit, but he seems like a nice chap. I wonder what the daily prizes will look like with his face, and will the items be the same? I assume the question writers will continue, they make the programme entertaining for me as I know a lot of the answers except films and sport!

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 12:40:30

Am sure that Michael Sheen will soon make the programme his own.
It’s a quiz we usually try and watch.

petra Mon 05-Oct-26 12:50:10

Cumbrianmale56

I waved to Richard Osman in Glasgow last year and he waved back. Minor claim to fame, but he always struck me as being a nice man.

Silly, I know. But I was a bit choked up 😥
But I do like Martin Sheen.

Aveline Mon 05-Oct-26 13:23:44

I always thought he was a bit too pleased with himself. I don't like his books either.

eddiecat78 Mon 05-Oct-26 18:30:04

I thought Michael did a good job

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-26 18:32:40

eddiecat78

I thought Michael did a good job

Better than I thought, but it will take me a fair few episodes to get used to him.

grandMattie Mon 05-Oct-26 18:40:08

eddiecat78

I thought Michael did a good job

Not sure I’ll carry on watching; he doesn’t seem very comfortable. I’ll give it a few days, but not holding my breath.

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Oct-26 18:40:22

Michael was fine, I'm happy.

shysal Mon 05-Oct-26 19:15:03

I am OK with MS. His manner was similar to RO. He will settle into the role I am sure. I am embarrassed to say I had forgotten that he is Welsh.

pably15 Mon 05-Oct-26 21:31:03

I watched the program today and think Michael Sheen did well.

valdali Mon 05-Oct-26 21:33:25

Aveline

I always thought he was a bit too pleased with himself. I don't like his books either.

Same here.

Casdon Mon 05-Oct-26 21:59:43

Michael Sheen is an altruistic person. He launched and partially self funded the new Welsh National Theatre in 2025, to replace the National Theatre Wales after it folded due to severe funding cuts. I wonder if he is doing House if Games to help them further, it wouldn’t surprise me.

MollyNew Mon 05-Oct-26 22:35:32

I enjoyed watching Michael Sheen's first show today. He's freshened up the show and I'll continue to watch. I thought Richard Osman looked bored over the past couple of months so I won't miss him.

suelld Tue 06-Oct-26 14:11:26

Graphite

Why not?

Sheen is articulate, intelligent, quick-witted and funny - same qualities that Osman has.

It will just seem different for a while.

Agree

DrWatson Tue 06-Oct-26 14:23:54

Osman has been a wonderful host, sympathetic to the guests - even managed to be civil to the few that are obnoxious and/or supremely thick.

Sheen will probably settle into it as he does more shows, his first one seemed to have him talking too much - but he must have been nervous. I like the "Where is Kazakhstan" round (place Geography answers on a map) as it really shows up how lousy many people are with that subject. A recent edition had 3 questions about US States (the map outline they had to work with), One answer involved finding Dallas on that map -- a couple said "oh, I know it's Texas, but WHERE is Texas" . . . . . .

Quiz hosts must get used to hearing really silly answers -- I recall a Tipping Point when a contestant was asked which Tory leader had the initials 'IDS'? He said, "Oh, politics isn't my strong point" (he'd already shown that ANY 'strong point' would be a surprise), and when pushed for an answer suggested "Margaret Thatcher". Ben Shephard looked like he almost wet himself, but recovered well to be reasonably polite to the poor chap.

shysal Tue 06-Oct-26 14:38:33

I find athletes and other Olympians have limited general knowledge on H of G, probably because they spend the majority of their time training.

mabon2 Tue 06-Oct-26 15:47:07

I have never watched his programme.

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 15:50:03

MS did good!

teabagwoman Tue 06-Oct-26 18:34:12

Watched MS for the first time tonight and rather liked him. Will continue to watch.

petra Tue 06-Oct-26 18:39:29

mabon2

I have never watched his programme.

Thank you for sharing information that I doubt anyone is interested in.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 18:45:01

Well, I loved Richard, and so far I’m loving Michael smile