Gransnet forums

House and home

Best idea to keep warm without central heating.

(86 Posts)
Allsorts Mon 28-Sept-26 22:28:10

Just wondered are there any people who don't have central heating? What are your tips to keep warm?

Shel1951 Thu 08-Oct-26 07:32:21

A friend has supersers,she says they are economical to run, I myself havnt put on the oil central heating yet, I bought 4 ceramic heaters and checking my energy app they are very economical, 1 in each bedroom that's used and 1 in the garden room, if it gets really cold I will try on the ch to warm up the house ,but oil is so expensive now and these heaters are brilliant,warms a room fast,

Shel1951 Thu 08-Oct-26 07:35:13

I covered the brand as didn't want to advertise,,,

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 07:38:51

A genuine recommendation isn’t advertising.

Shel1951 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:30:45

Ok Doodlebugsmile

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 08:37:15

Thanks 😀

Shel1951 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:00:13

A little from AI

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 09:39:42

I'm considering getting one for my husband to use in the garage, but can't find anything about running costs. Electric space heaters are usually very expensive to run.

25Avalon Thu 08-Oct-26 11:55:27

My ch is down. Service due in 2 weeks, so in the meantime I have a small electric fan which works hot or cold and has a thermostat to switch off when it reaches a set heat. I’ve been using it in my lounge which is a large room and it only takes about 20 minutes to heat the room up. I am seriously considering using it instead of ch as it’s probably cheaper to heat just one room.

Allsorts Fri 09-Oct-26 08:04:15

Some interesting ideas. Some of you have very large houses to heat without heating.

TillyTrotter Fri 09-Oct-26 12:39:17

Our biggish house consists of many small rooms and we’ve not been tempted to go open-plan.
It’s very much easier to close doors and keep heat where you want it.
The Conservatory is closed off completely during Winter.