Gransnet forums

House and home

Best idea to keep warm without central heating.

(81 Posts)
Allsorts Mon 28-Sept-26 22:28:10

Just wondered are there any people who don't have central heating? What are your tips to keep warm?

Shinamae Tue 29-Sept-26 21:26:09

I live in mid terrace house and since my son and his girlfriend moved that is just me in a three bedroom house
I have a Gas fire in my lounge and also my bedroom is downstairs next to my lounge
I will only put the central heating on for maybe an hour in the morning an hour at night and that is really just to keep the house from getting damp and only when it’s really cold..

butterandjam Tue 29-Sept-26 22:13:10

long thermal underwear, thick socks, a silk scarf wrapped round the neck. Bald men should wear a warm hat .

Chardy Tue 29-Sept-26 22:20:37

J52

petra

Buy blackout curtains to line your existing curtains.
Or, if you have a friend who’s handy with a sewing machine it’s cheap to buy by the meter.
Plus the fact that they keep out the heat.

In the past I have just hooked the ready made to the unused openings on the header tape. Of course wouldn’t work with eyelet style curtains.

Eyelet curtains are easier because you're just sewing a rectangle blackout onto a rectangle of curtain

Chardy Tue 29-Sept-26 22:29:43

I bought a long hooded velvety dressing gown from Amazon, last year. I think it was around. £20 - certainly it was cheap.
And lined fluffy slippers as bending to put socks on, hurts!
Snug as a bug

Cossy Tue 29-Sept-26 22:34:28

Good insulation, very thick, lined curtains, warm insulated undies, layers of clothing, heated cushions, heated blankets. Drink plenty of hot drinks, keep moving.

It’s really dangerous to let the rooms you use to fall below 18C.

Toetoe Tue 29-Sept-26 23:31:04

My lounge is open plan so all the heat goes up onto the landing / bedrooms . I have put up about 7ft of net curtain wire across the top of the stair opening . I have attached a king size white thick cotton sheet to block the stairs . I did this last winter and it really does keep the lounge warmer. The heat does eventually rise through the sheet but much slower . When I go to bed I lift the sheet over the stair rail to allow the warmth upstairs .

poppysmum Wed 30-Sept-26 08:04:50

portable electric heaters as our storage heaters in our Housing Association are useless
under bed electric blanket pop it on about an hour before bedtime
heated throw to go on the sofa sometimes if very cold puts this on top of the bed so i am like a heated sandwich
non electric blankets
always keep socks on
layer clothes rather than one thick item ie today i have on a t shirt sweat top and if it was winter very cold can pop a cardigan on top
i am lucky i have good doors here but nothing wrong with sausages on the door bottoms and curtains over the front door as the glass can be cold
i rarely have a heater on in the bedroom due to the blanket i just get up and dressed quick
the bathroom has a heated towel rail
the lounge will keep nice and warm concentrate on one room
lined curtains

AmberGran Wed 30-Sept-26 09:23:22

We have CH but rarely use it until it gets really cold, when it comes on early mornings and bed times.

I wear my thermal underwear all through the cold weather. When the temperatures start to drop I use the thinner, not-too-warm type. Then wear the heavier weights when it gets really cold. Extra layers as needed.

Warm socks and slippers - my feet freeze very fast.

Basgetti Wed 30-Sept-26 10:09:02

MartavTaurus

Here's mine.

Oh, a warm dog on your feet is the best heater🥰
Oh yes, Doodledog, until the sharp needle teeth are exercised! 🦈

Gorgeous! Oh yes, teething 😱

Basgetti Wed 30-Sept-26 10:11:24

Cossy

Good insulation, very thick, lined curtains, warm insulated undies, layers of clothing, heated cushions, heated blankets. Drink plenty of hot drinks, keep moving.

It’s really dangerous to let the rooms you use to fall below 18C.

Mine is set at 16, I find anything above too hot. Luckily, the flat stays really warm so it barely turns on, maybe now and then in Jan/Feb. Leave sliding doors open on the balcony at night in the bedroom which makes sleeping easier for me.
Obviously, put heating higher when family stays.

Juneandarchie1 Sun 04-Oct-26 14:55:50

I avoid putting the heating on for cost reasons, so a heated throw for me while sitting. Then I have a small heated pad that I slip into bed at foot length while I am getting ready.
I turn it off once I’m in bed and drift off to sleep with nice warm feet that warms me up a treat.

MawsRosie Sun 04-Oct-26 15:11:49

I may have said this before- but another dog would seem to be the answer!

Commonground Sun 04-Oct-26 17:48:21

Isn't that the solution to most problems? smile

WillowBreeze59 Wed 07-Oct-26 02:05:46

This is my snuggle blanket!! He literally lies on top of me, which wasn't so great in the hot weather!!
On a more serious note though, I agree with others on a heated blanket on the sofa, or hot water bottle and blanket.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-26 03:46:51

One tip I ve found and I really like it (as I sleep alone) I sleep in a single bed and sleep in a thermal rate sleeping bag under my duvet with two hot water bottles one to cuddle one for my feet The sleeping bag keeps you cosy and contained and the bottles stay fairly hot/warm throughout the night
Does me

silverlining48 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:16:32

Currently wearing a cut off tube from the bottom of my old 100%cotton pj leg. in fact I have two 😊 as pjs have two legs.
It sits comfortably round my neck, looks like a sea salt one costing about £12 and is keeping me snug and warm.

hollysteers Wed 07-Oct-26 18:14:48

When not using CH, I have halogen heaters and a heated throw.
A weighted blanket is nice too and helps me to sleep.

TillyTrotter Wed 07-Oct-26 18:19:02

WillowBreeze what a gorgeous dog?!

butterandjam Wed 07-Oct-26 18:36:52

WillowBreeze59

This is my snuggle blanket!! He literally lies on top of me, which wasn't so great in the hot weather!!
On a more serious note though, I agree with others on a heated blanket on the sofa, or hot water bottle and blanket.

what breed of snuggle blanket is he? What a l;ovely dog.

MartavTaurus Wed 07-Oct-26 19:31:14

Ooo his coat is beautiful. Is it called something like merle?

BrandyGran Wed 07-Oct-26 21:03:59

Believe it or not but wearing an old fashioned apron (full length one) tied firmly at the back over warm clothing really keeps the heat in.

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 07:10:26

I watched a YouTube video about keeping safe and warm in a long power cut, and will try to remember the advice.
*Hats, socks and gloves, even in bed.

*Those self-heating hand warmers - never against the skin or in bed with you, but use to warm the bed before getting into it, or wear over clothing.

*Gas long-lighters to light gas rings on hobs when the pilot switch doesn’t work. Never use the cooker as a heat source, but you can at least heat soup or make hot drinks.

*Duct tape round doors and windows, and draught excluders on internal doors.

* Emergency blankets (the cheap silver ones) between blankets/duvets to trap heat in the bed.

* battery powered lights on the stairs, so you don’t fall if carrying things in the dark (eg if you are keeping a blanket round you with one hand, you don’t want to use the other to carry a lantern and be unable to use the banister.

* get a whistle to blow if you need help and your phone is dead, and wear it on a lanyard, specially at night.

*Be sure you have a manual tin opener, and try to choose tins with ring-pulls for stored food.

*check that carbon monoxide detectors have working batteries. I can’t remember why, but there is more chance of being poisoned by CO2 in a power cut (maybe because of sealed windows etc).

That’s all I can remember for now, but if anything pops into my head I’ll post it.

MartavTaurus Thu 08-Oct-26 07:14:58

get a whistle to blow if you need help and your phone is dead, and wear it on a lanyard, specially at night
Wouldn't you run the risk of strangling yourself in bed?

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 07:19:24

Unlikely if it’s on a thin cord. You would put it on the bedside table when sleeping, but the point was to have it to hand in case you fall, which is more likely in the dark. Also, as fewer people are around at night, shouting for help is less effective.

MartavTaurus Thu 08-Oct-26 07:31:57

I have my phone on its charger cable next to me in bed, and one night the dog, not me, got tangled in the cord, so I'm always wary of any cord now at night!