Gransnet forums

House and home

has anyone got a smart meter

(67 Posts)
pably15 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:06:20

my electricity company have emailed me , saying that my electricity meter certificate has run out and it needs to be replaced by a smart meter. I've heard a lot of bad things about smart meters and I'm not happy about this , does anyone have any advice...

MayBee70 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:10:02

I worried about switching to one for years but finally did it and I don’t even think about it now.

watermeadow Wed 23-Sept-26 18:12:41

I got one so I wouldn’t have to move half the furniture to get the meter read. I’ve never given it a thought since.

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sept-26 18:15:08

I need to, they came a year or two back to change me over , they got a phone call half way through the operation, , so they put my old meter back in, and said they needed to abort it but would make another appointment to redo my new smart meter I ve never heard another word since
I must ring them and get them out again

MrsQuigley Wed 23-Sept-26 18:15:36

We resisted for years then finally got smart meters for both electricity and gas. No problems, very handy to keep an eye on gas spend in the winter.

teabagwoman Wed 23-Sept-26 18:17:03

I’ve had one for years and have never had a problem.

pably15 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:28:24

thank you all for your replies, I've just heard so many stories about people getting billed for £ thousands after getting a smart meter.

Grandmabatty Wed 23-Sept-26 18:33:58

I have one and never had any issues

Margs Wed 23-Sept-26 18:34:17

The smart meter was already installed when I moved in. The first couple of months I was checking the display around every few minutes - I've managed to grow out of that!

LOUISA1523 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:35:23

Had one 11 years....so easy...just pay for what you use.....don't know anyone who has had an issue

LOUISA1523 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:36:07

pably15

thank you all for your replies, I've just heard so many stories about people getting billed for £ thousands after getting a smart meter.

Personal stories?....
Or social media stories?

Oldnproud Wed 23-Sept-26 18:38:45

Had meters for years, and it has been great not having to root around under the sink to take the readings.

The in-house display has proved very useful too. When our airsource heating system started playing up last year, I noticed almost immediately that there was a problem because the display was set to show me how much energy was being used at any given moment, and I could see that it wasn't 'normal'.

wintersday Wed 23-Sept-26 18:42:43

I have just had a message on my account with Octopus "Your meter's certification has expired and needs an upgrade". It goes on to ask me to make an appointment regarding smart meters. I have been very very clear that I do not want smart meters and I have just emailed them to remind them. I much prefer to read my gas and electric meters on the 23rd of the month and have peace of mind that I have submitted the correct readings and on time.

pably15 Wed 23-Sept-26 18:51:57

Wintersday, that was the exact same email I got from Ovo...

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sept-26 18:56:45

Just had our smart meters upgraded from Octopus, our in house display is usually unplugged in a box, I’ve had to plug it in for 48hrs, usually I monitor with the app.
Had no trouble at all with them.

Pittcity Wed 23-Sept-26 19:02:11

Never had a problem with smart meters. We've changed provider several times without having to send readings as they've switched over seamlessly.
The customer screen is still in the box as we can see readings on the provider's app and so keep an eye. Bills are always accurate and you can see exactly when you are using most energy.
I think they're a great improvement on the old way.

Plevey08 Wed 23-Sept-26 19:04:09

I've resisted fairly constant pressure to have one. Because I have friends who've had problems with there's. I've also read, from good sources that they're not all that smart. Newer smarter ones.are on the horizon. I live in a flat, we all have our own metre outside our door. Never had a problem with it.
My DS in Wales has one and never had. Problem

MissChateline Wed 23-Sept-26 19:11:17

I had one that worked well for years. Then the radio transmitter mast was replaced and the frequency changed and it never worked again. But every time the transponder tried to send a reading it tripped my fuse switches and turns off my WiFi and everything else including my underfloor heating. It was a nightmare. It cost me a fortune in electricians trying to solve the problem. The transmitter in my kitchen had to be taken out and it’s never been replaced. I would love to have it working again.

CarrotTop Wed 23-Sept-26 19:43:19

We resisted a smart meter for years until they told us our meter was past its allotted date (true) and could have conked out at any moment (possibly true, but it's really just an abstract possibility, not a hard fact). Octopus told us they don't install the older style of meter, which was what tipped the balance for us, as they would have charged a fee for an emergency change-over. Anyway, we finally gave in and had a smart meter installed (free of charge). Since then, we've noticed no difference at all, except we now don't have to take a physical reading and report it online (which took about 4 minutes - whoopee, however will we spend the free time saved every month?).
I've never believed the nonsense about a smart meter saving us money. We don't need to have instant access to our meter in order to think about how much electricity we're using and where we could cut down! That's just normal adult behaviour in real life.
Smart meters do, however, save the electricity companies a lot of money, since they don't have to employ meter-readers. This is a big part of the reason why they have been pushing smart meters at use as though they're the answer to eternal life, health and happiness - we still have to pay for what we use, just as before, but it costs them a lot less now to find out how much we owe them. The final bill amount is still our responsibility to manage and they will still cut us off if we don't pay...

Plevey08 Wed 23-Sept-26 20:02:41

That's true CarrotTop.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 20:16:11

Yes, just for electricity, I still have to submit monthly meter readings ?

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 08:16:35

pably15

thank you all for your replies, I've just heard so many stories about people getting billed for £ thousands after getting a smart meter.

Its an urban myth. There were some teething problems when they first came in, but we have had a smart electricity meter, in two different houses for years, with never a problem.

I just wish I could get a smart gas meter. I have been trying for years, again, in our previous house and our current one, without success. I do not know why.

Mollygo Thu 24-Sept-26 08:22:45

M0nica the woman who came to install both meters told me she couldn’t install the gas meter because our pipes were wrong. So we just have an electricity meter.
She said she would inform the company, so why do we keep getting Why not have a smart gas meter? letters?
Maybe the company isn’t smart enough?

Mollygo Thu 24-Sept-26 08:24:42

pably15 our electricity smart meter has been OK and sometimes we benefit from free electricity, thanks to having the meter.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 08:27:46

Mollygo No one has visited either house while we were there to even lock at the gas meter.

The pipes could have been a problem in our previous house but in our current house we have a modern gas meter in a modern box on an easily accessible outside wall, but again, they haven't visited, so they do not know.