Gransnet forums

Health

Martha’s Rule to apply in A&E

(28 Posts)
Fallingstar Tue 22-Sept-26 09:17:16

Good news this morning that Martha’s rule doesn’t just apply to those in hospital but those in A&E who worry that a loved one’s condition is deteriorating and want a second opinion.
Am sure we have all read awful reports of people sent home from A&E only to die shortly afterwards at home. And after my husband had a massive stroke nearly 2 years ago we have ended up in A&E due to falls etc. On one occasion he had a bump on the head and complained of a headache, I insisted he have a CT scan but they said I should just take him home and keep an eye on him, thankfully I stood my ground, they eventually scanned him and discovered a bleed on the brain, he needed an urgent op to drain the blood or he would certainly have died.
Now we can insist immediately that our loved one’s or ourselves are seen by another doctor.

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 20:00:37

sazz1

Our GP has a sit and wait service evenings if all appointments are gone
You go at 5 or 5.30 and wait in turn maybe until 7 if its busy. But you see a qualified Dr. Receptionist books you onto it if it's urgent or children. With me a chest infection is urgent as I have COPD

I really wish other GP practices would do this, ours doesn’t, but I remember very many years ago my local GP practice having a similar set up. This will save people from going to A&E.

Menopauselbitch Thu 24-Sept-26 13:05:58

The Triage nurse told me there was nothing wrong with me but could go to another area of the hospital and wait to see a doctor. I just wanted to go home but my friend made me go. Thank god she did, I ended up on a cart being run through corridors as I had serious bleeding ulcers.