Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Feeling let down

(39 Posts)
Whatwouldyoudo Wed 30-Sept-26 21:11:52

Thank you all again. We don't expect to monopolise their time and fully accept they have more friends and obviously want to spend time with them. We were just a bit hurt to hear that plans for the four of us to visit the wine bar seemed to have been pushed aside in favour of others along with a stream of meals out etc and no suggestion we get together.
I think we have been over sensitive on this issue but probably because we are also sensitive to how anything we say impacts others.
Re Christmas, not sure whether their other friends are aware of the family issue so in fairness wouldn't think to offer perhaps.
We do enjoy their company so will put this behind us and look forward to a full house at Christmas!
Perhaps my new year resolution will be to try to make more friends, not easy as I don't like to push myself forward!

MarieElla Wed 30-Sept-26 20:28:46

I think you are being overly generous having them for Christmas again, especially as your son and family will be there.
Their family issue is not your problem and possibly says a lot about them as this is an ongoing issue!
And, as a poster said above, why haven't their other friends invited them for Christmas? They've known them longest!
The more you get to know them, the less you'll want to see them...I think

foxie48 Wed 30-Sept-26 19:10:24

tbh I don't mix my friends up unless it is a big event, like a party. I have people who I'd invite to supper together but I have to think they'd be good company for each other or I wouldn't. It's difficult making friends as we get older as so many people are in established groups but it's not impossible. Go to things that interest you, be friendly but not clingy and smile. Your friends don't need to include you in their circle, nor do you need to invite them for Christmas, IMO friendship is about giving and if you get something back, then that's a win!

CarrotTop Wed 30-Sept-26 16:52:04

I should imagine that almost everyone has more than one friend, so try not to feel resentful when they socialise with someone who isn't you! You're allowed to forge other friendships too, so don't do yourself any more damage by focussing on this one. Try to ease off and don't whatever you do feel jealous.
Christmas is another matter. If you don't want to host other people, then you have to take your courage in your hands and say no (not as baldly as that, obviously, but you will have to get the message across clearly).

BlueBelle Wed 30-Sept-26 16:47:28

Oh this sounds just why I prefer being on my own
Good luck I d be a bit less open with the invitations in the future, why don’t you and partner just do stuff together

LOUISA1523 Wed 30-Sept-26 16:10:55

I wouldn't host them at Christmas...they are doing the mickey there ...your son will have said its fine....but he is having less time with you his parents as you also focusing on your other guests....no way would I have friends at Christmas if I had my children amd grandchildren

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sept-26 15:58:07

but they sort of invited themselves and we didn’t have the heart to say no!

What a cheek! I think I would have said sorry, but we’ve got a full house with family this year.

You sound too kind hearted to me, and they are making use of your friendship, but it seems you are getting things sorted, so hope it all works out in the end.

Whatwouldyoudo Wed 30-Sept-26 14:55:45

Thank you all for your input, we are having a difficult time ourselves at the moment and so probably are just a tad over sensitive. We do know their other friends and whilst we don't socialise we do swap plants, catch up if we bump into each other so perhaps I should invite them round along with our friends to widen the circle.
Re Christmas, we didn't expect to host this year as we had hoped the family issue had settled down and we have our son and family coming but they sort of invited themselves and we didn't have the heart to say no! Our son is fine with this but perhaps next year we get in first and change the dynamics.
Re the trip, nothing is planned yet so I think we will look again when we are feeling a bit more positive.

AGAA4 Wed 30-Sept-26 14:45:22

It sounds as though you are just one of the couples your friends socialise with. They had their circle of friends before you arrived.
They do seem to take your hospitality without reciprocating much.
You may just have to accept them as they are if you want the friendship to continue but it sounds as though you are having doubts about them.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sept-26 13:22:35

Is the Madrid trip just the four of you?

To me, things sound a bit one-sided.

They have a wide circle of friends, but you are the ones who have hosted them the last two Christmas days, and you’re hosting again this year, because they have ‘family issues’ and would be on their own. So they haven’t offered to host you for a change?

And none of their existing circle have offered to have them either.

If it were me, I think I would ease off on the holiday plans, and future Christmas meals.

But then I don’t really want to do loads of stuff with others, so perhaps I’m odd!

Oreo Wed 30-Sept-26 13:21:41

I think Graphite gives good advice about this problem.

Graphite Wed 30-Sept-26 13:06:53

You said yourself that this couple had an existing social network.

It sound like you have been doing things as a foursome but have never been integrated into their wider network. Is that right?

If this has been going on for a few years they probably think you are happy with the way things are. Have you ever said otherwise?

Networks are exactly that, Venn diagrams where parts overlap and parts don’t.

I think you are being a tad over-sensitive regarding the wine bar. I’d have just said something like. “Let me know if it’s any good then perhaps we can make a date to go there as we said we’d like to try it.”

Can you think of any reason why they might not want you as part of their wider circle (if that is the case). Anyone there you might not get along with or vice versa? Or maybe they just prefer socialising in foursomes and nothing larger.

anna7 Wed 30-Sept-26 13:01:14

I'm sorry you are upset by this but honestly, I can't see the problem. Your friends have other friends they see now and again. I can't see there's anything wrong with this.

Whatwouldyoudo Wed 30-Sept-26 12:45:46

Not sure where to put this so hope for some perspective. When we moved area a number of years ago we made friends with a local couple who have lived here for years so have an existing circle of friends.
We meet up every couple of months, we always do supper, their's is more drinks and snacks but that is fine and we enjoy these evenings.
We have been on several holidays and for the last 2 years have hosted them for Christmas as there have been family issues meaning they would be on their own. We will also be hosting them this christmas.
We bumped into them the other day and they started telling us about the plans they had coming up for meals out with other friends, going for drinks at a new wine bar (which we had suggested we all go to) and various other plans that didn't include us.
At the time I felt a bit peeved that they didn't realise how tactless they were being but my partner has also now said they were upset by this. We are supposed to be planning a big trip to Madrid in the new year - their suggestion - but now think I'd rather we just did something ourselves.
Obviously we are still hosting Christmas and we won't make an issue but are we being too sensitive? I must admit this isn't the easiest place to make friends as a couple - we do both volunteer but most fellow volunteers are a lot older with little in common.
I didn't want to put this in AIBU but a bit of perspective might make us feel better about things. Thanks for listening!