Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Feeling let down

(40 Posts)
Whatwouldyoudo Wed 30-Sept-26 12:45:46

Not sure where to put this so hope for some perspective. When we moved area a number of years ago we made friends with a local couple who have lived here for years so have an existing circle of friends.
We meet up every couple of months, we always do supper, their's is more drinks and snacks but that is fine and we enjoy these evenings.
We have been on several holidays and for the last 2 years have hosted them for Christmas as there have been family issues meaning they would be on their own. We will also be hosting them this christmas.
We bumped into them the other day and they started telling us about the plans they had coming up for meals out with other friends, going for drinks at a new wine bar (which we had suggested we all go to) and various other plans that didn't include us.
At the time I felt a bit peeved that they didn't realise how tactless they were being but my partner has also now said they were upset by this. We are supposed to be planning a big trip to Madrid in the new year - their suggestion - but now think I'd rather we just did something ourselves.
Obviously we are still hosting Christmas and we won't make an issue but are we being too sensitive? I must admit this isn't the easiest place to make friends as a couple - we do both volunteer but most fellow volunteers are a lot older with little in common.
I didn't want to put this in AIBU but a bit of perspective might make us feel better about things. Thanks for listening!

WithNobsOnIt Thu 01-Oct-26 15:04:08

Agree with Calendar girl. Things do sound a bit one sided and they could be taking advantage of you.

Also it's a bit odd that that have not introduced you even briefly for a drink or a coffee to their friends.

Hosting people at Christmas is quite big deal in terms of time and money.

I would consider going away for Christmas tbh just as a couple. Just for a change. Maybe a bit expensive but could be really enjoyable.

Willow68 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:53:52

Very sensible to continue with Christmas and you should still do the holiday. Friendships change and also go through phases of seeing more or less of each other and it would be silly to loose a friendship. I do however understand why you would feel let down or put to one side, it does not sound like it’s a purpose thing as they had openly told you their plans thinking nothing of it. Some couples have more friends and if they have family issues they need a larger group of friends I’d imagine. Enjoy the friendship you have and maybe say next time oh if you go again we would love to join you 😊 it’s always horrible when you feel left out but it sounds like they are filling their time , understandable if have no close family connections? You sound like a nice friend 😊

monami Thu 01-Oct-26 17:07:14

you are being used, tell them family is coming, ask if they can go the home of the wine bar friends

StTrinians Thu 01-Oct-26 17:48:22

Feelingletdown. I do sympathise, and actually, I don't think you are wrong to feel let down. Why wouldn't they include you in the wine bar outing. It was your idea! I would be seriously miffed by that too. It would rankle. I think that they are being insensitive, and perhaps a bit mean. You are absolutely right to distance yourselves a bit if they are hurting you. If their behaviour continues I would reduce contact, and try to find other guests for Xmas meal. They can be relegated to drinks and snacks...Let them have a taste of their own medicine! Also, try to widen your net for new friends. New people are always moving in. Try to befriend some of them. Good luck. smile

StTrinians Thu 01-Oct-26 17:50:40

Ps. I would definitely not go away with them anymore. Not when they are treating you like this, as it will ruin your trip. I hope you enjoy your break in peace.smile

Rocketstop2 Thu 01-Oct-26 19:00:27

Whatwouldyoudo

Thank you all for your input, we are having a difficult time ourselves at the moment and so probably are just a tad over sensitive. We do know their other friends and whilst we don't socialise we do swap plants, catch up if we bump into each other so perhaps I should invite them round along with our friends to widen the circle.
Re Christmas, we didn't expect to host this year as we had hoped the family issue had settled down and we have our son and family coming but they sort of invited themselves and we didn't have the heart to say no! Our son is fine with this but perhaps next year we get in first and change the dynamics.
Re the trip, nothing is planned yet so I think we will look again when we are feeling a bit more positive.

well I think that given that they are coming to you for Christmas and did so last year as well, that even though you are not 'In' with their wider circle, it would have been polite of them to ask you to join them at a couple of these outings, not all, as it would perhaps be long standing friends of their own but just to a couple of outings where you could mix a bit more with these people. I would have felt sensitive about it too.
I would test the water myself and next time they say 'Oh Peter and Julie want to try out the garden centre so we're going with them' Jump in and say 'Oh we'll come too, we've always won dered what the garden centre is like, what time are you meeting?' If they don't invite you, then I would say you are busy with your son at Christmas !!!

Janet1946 Thu 01-Oct-26 19:55:40

It might help you to read the book The Let them Theory by Mel Robbins. Let them live their lives and let it wash over you.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Oct-26 22:35:38

Why be so needy? they aren’t really into you, it sounds, they only need you for what they can get out of you, or else they would have included you in the main group.
I wouldn’t be going away on holiday, you have a partner, why don’t you enjoy a holiday together and I d use your son and family coming at Christmas as a reason for change of plan .
Up to you but that’s what I would do

seasider Fri 02-Oct-26 00:53:57

I have a friend who I have supported through her mum’s decline through dementia and big problems at work . I mentioned a show in London I particularly wanted to see when I could afford it . A few months later she went to London with another friend and went to see the show I suggested. She said they had booked last minute but I knew this was virtually impossible as it was a sellout . I was very hurt . She has no partner or family so for years I made sure we always did something on her birthday but the last couple of years she has made excuses but then gone out with a new friend . I asked her if anything was wrong but she just said we had both been busy . I have just been away and she never even asked how the holiday went. I have stepped back now and will wait for her to contact me . Sad after 30 years but I have come to realise she is a bit of a “user”

icanhandthemback Fri 02-Oct-26 01:24:54

I have 2 groups of friends with some of them being in both groups. Whilst we would love to combine them, there is a very upstanding, religious lady who is lovely in one group and a hard drinking, outrageous lady in the other. They really wouldn't mix well and we don't want either of them to feel uncomfortable. Maybe it is a similar sort of thing with your friends. They may feel the dynamics wouldn't work whilst feeling comfortable in both sets of company.
I would be asking myself if I enjoyed their company. If I did, I would carry on as usual but wouldn't let myself be hinted at for an invitation to Christmas Dinner if I didn't want it.
Widening your circle to include the people you exchange plants with sounds like a great idea.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 02-Oct-26 04:08:42

whatwouldyoudo
Enjoy the weekend with your old friends. Csn you discuss this situation with them as they have known you for some time previously?
Can you take them to the wine bar so at least you know what it's like without going just the 2 of you.

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Oct-26 05:01:24

Surely Christmas is a time to be kind , generous and hospitable.. Do go ahead and have these friends for Christmas. I think you are being a little over sensitive. Perhaps try and make other friends and broaden your social circle. I wish you well

greyfur16 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:54:24

I think as you say, you are going through some challenges. Perhaps you are hoping for some kindness and consideration from these newish friends.

They, perhaps have different ideas.

Christmas is such an emotioanlly loaded time, tricky.

MarieElla Fri 02-Oct-26 11:40:38

I think the fact that this couple have an ongoing issue with their family members which means they can't spend Christmas with them says a lot about them.