Gransnet forums

Food

Small potatoes

(32 Posts)
Fartooold Tue 06-Oct-26 12:20:45

Has anyone noticed how small potatoes are at present. Bought a bag of Maris Pipers and most of the potatoes were so small and therefore difficult to peel and far too small to roast. Mind you I am useless at peeling!!

fluttERBY123 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:05:16

I haven't peeled a potato for years. Lots of goodies in the peel. Cut'em up and boil. With a sprig of mint if small new ones.

4allweknow Wed 07-Oct-26 15:56:48

There has been a dought and lack of moisture stunts growth of crops eg potatoes. No surprise that UK grown potatoes are small this year.

crissy Wed 07-Oct-26 16:18:17

I can't remember the last time I peeled a potato. A good scrub and cut the funny bits off.

kittylester Wed 07-Oct-26 17:49:59

crissy

I can't remember the last time I peeled a potato. A good scrub and cut the funny bits off.

For mash?

Mollygo Wed 07-Oct-26 18:19:23

Booths Supermarket Maris Piper potatoes were as big as ever when I bought some today. They never were big enough for jackets if you bought multipacks.
I’ll be watching to see if that changes.

FranP Wed 07-Oct-26 18:39:48

25Avalon

Not only are they smaller but we are warned there will be a shortage of supply, all due to the drought.

Too late for you now, but I had exemption to water for food growing from my water authority. I also had a hosepipe exemption on medical grounds (I was unable to lift the watering can due to gall bladder op).

(Lots of rain today, so no need)