Gransnet forums

Food

‘Potato quiche’ recipe I found on FB…

(32 Posts)
Witzend Thu 24-Sept-26 09:51:20

Dh was out from very early evening so thought I’d give it an experimental try.

Boiled potatoes (4-5 medium) mashed and pressed into the base of a lined, 9” loose bottom cake tin. (I didn’t have anything else suitable.)

A layer of veg (onion, one leek*, mushrooms, all chopped and fried in a little oil, some spinach (I used frozen, thawed and well squeezed) S&P (I didn’t use enough), all layered over the potato.
Then 4 eggs and half a cup (standard mug) of milk, whisked with S&P, half a cup of grated cheese added, all poured over the veg, more cheese on top, baked at 180 fan for half an hour.

The only loose leek I could find in Sainsbury’s the other day was huge, so IMO I used too much leek - another time would use rather more mushrooms.

Anyway, it was largely successful, and when dh came home at well past 11 he had two helpings and pronounced it delicious!

Esmay Wed 30-Sept-26 09:19:18

Thank you for the recipe.
I've made a similar quiche but sliced the potatoes thinly .
And dusted the top with a tiny bit of paprika.

grandMattie Wed 30-Sept-26 09:00:16

I used to make something like that for DH who loved it!

Deudits Wed 30-Sept-26 08:51:35

For everyone who's copied it, worth copying Witzend's answers further down too: an egg in the mash helps bind it and adds protein, skimmed or semi-skimmed milk both work, and S&P is salt and pepper. Those are the bits you'll wonder about in six months, and Facebook posts have a habit of vanishing when you go back for them. Once you've made it, a line in pencil on what you changed, aubergine instead of leek like nanna8, or sliced potato like Oreo, is how it stops being a Facebook recipe and becomes yours.

Astitchintime Tue 29-Sept-26 14:36:43

I’ve seen the FB posts where someone makes a ‘pastry base’ with mashed potatoes and often been tempted to try…….think I might give it a go now I know it’s not AI .

honeyrose Tue 29-Sept-26 14:33:59

Yes of course - it must be salt and pepper! Thanks.

Izzy24 Mon 28-Sept-26 21:52:47

Salt and pepper?

honeyrose Mon 28-Sept-26 21:47:25

What’s S&P please, Witzend?

HiPpyChick57 Mon 28-Sept-26 16:21:18

I’m a vegetarian with coeliac disease and I’m always looking for tasty new recipes to try. I’ll definitely be making this. Thank you so much for posting.

posset Mon 28-Sept-26 13:46:54

This sounds like a great idea - I've got a bit of a thing about pastry being empty calories, so using potato instead would make a much more nutritious substitute!

shysal Mon 28-Sept-26 12:53:17

I am not gluten intolerant, but to save calories I make a crustless quiche. Line the tin with baking parchment and add normal fillings of your choice. Bake in oven or air fryer. Similar to a baked frittata.

Shel1951 Mon 28-Sept-26 11:38:08

This I am going to cook, thankyou for the recipe

saintpiran Mon 28-Sept-26 09:56:24

Sounds like my sort of dish, I think I will cook the potatoes the previous day and refrigerate, thereby reducing the starch content. A quick tasty meal.

nanna8 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:58:55

Oh wow, I will definitely try that one. Might substitute leek for eggplant though, not too many leeks around just now. Thank you !

Redhead56 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:08:47

Don't know what happened there anyway I have trouble with pastry a lot of the time digesting it. This is a recipe I will definitely try it sounds promising thanks.

Redhead56 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:06:03

I have trouble

MiniMoon Sun 27-Sept-26 22:30:57

Thank you Witzend. My husband was advised not to eat pastry, this potato shell sounds like a good substitute. I'll have to try it.

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 21:14:28

I think I would prefer sliced potatoes and would integrate cooked leeks or onions with them.

Witzend Sun 27-Sept-26 21:06:18

Granny42

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

Yes, and it’d add protein, but in fact the potato held together quite well once it was baked.

Witzend Sun 27-Sept-26 21:05:07

Granny42

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

I only ever use skimmed or semi skimmed.

Cath9 Sun 27-Sept-26 20:55:29

Sounds delicious Witzend. I will definitely copy the Ingredients

Sueinkent Sun 27-Sept-26 17:26:50

Sound great. I will get my husband to make it. 😁

sharon103 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:23:18

Thank you for that Witzend.
Sounds tasty. Can semi skimmed be used?

Granny42 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:10:30

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

DrWatson Sun 27-Sept-26 14:37:50

This should - as the OP has found - work just fine.

Quite a few alternatives, easily found on the Net, might use SLICED potato, 'Smashed' potato (close to mashed, I think, but less formal?!), and grated or shredded spuds. Some suggest 'yellow' potato, but lots of types get mentioned.

Here's just one. www.almostsupermom.com/gluten-free-quiche-potato-crust/

Many possibilities for the fillings of course, depending on personal taste, plus what you've got to use up?!

A key to the grated version is to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.

ExaltedWombat Sun 27-Sept-26 14:37:49

Sounds good! But I wouldn’t read too much into DH’s opinion apres-pub!