Gransnet forums

Food

‘Potato quiche’ recipe I found on FB…

(31 Posts)
Witzend Thu 24-Sept-26 09:51:20

Dh was out from very early evening so thought I’d give it an experimental try.

Boiled potatoes (4-5 medium) mashed and pressed into the base of a lined, 9” loose bottom cake tin. (I didn’t have anything else suitable.)

A layer of veg (onion, one leek*, mushrooms, all chopped and fried in a little oil, some spinach (I used frozen, thawed and well squeezed) S&P (I didn’t use enough), all layered over the potato.
Then 4 eggs and half a cup (standard mug) of milk, whisked with S&P, half a cup of grated cheese added, all poured over the veg, more cheese on top, baked at 180 fan for half an hour.

The only loose leek I could find in Sainsbury’s the other day was huge, so IMO I used too much leek - another time would use rather more mushrooms.

Anyway, it was largely successful, and when dh came home at well past 11 he had two helpings and pronounced it delicious!

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 24-Sept-26 11:07:42

Thanks Witzend this sounds good, my veggie Son in law is a hungry hound & I try to think of 'get a head' things for when they visit!

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 12:40:12

That could be good for people with a gluten intolerance.

Jess20 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:53:35

Sounds excellent for gluten intolerance! Will try it 😊

Willitwork Sun 27-Sept-26 13:56:54

Thank you. Perfect for a coeliac. Copied ready to cook it later. xx

Alison333 Sun 27-Sept-26 14:06:27

Another thank you! I'm vegetarian and allergic to nuts and some seeds, so this sounds great. Also people could add bits or change the veg if wanted.

ExaltedWombat Sun 27-Sept-26 14:37:49

Sounds good! But I wouldn’t read too much into DH’s opinion apres-pub!

DrWatson Sun 27-Sept-26 14:37:50

This should - as the OP has found - work just fine.

Quite a few alternatives, easily found on the Net, might use SLICED potato, 'Smashed' potato (close to mashed, I think, but less formal?!), and grated or shredded spuds. Some suggest 'yellow' potato, but lots of types get mentioned.

Here's just one. www.almostsupermom.com/gluten-free-quiche-potato-crust/

Many possibilities for the fillings of course, depending on personal taste, plus what you've got to use up?!

A key to the grated version is to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.

Granny42 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:10:30

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

sharon103 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:23:18

Thank you for that Witzend.
Sounds tasty. Can semi skimmed be used?

Sueinkent Sun 27-Sept-26 17:26:50

Sound great. I will get my husband to make it. 😁

Cath9 Sun 27-Sept-26 20:55:29

Sounds delicious Witzend. I will definitely copy the Ingredients

Witzend Sun 27-Sept-26 21:05:07

Granny42

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

I only ever use skimmed or semi skimmed.

Witzend Sun 27-Sept-26 21:06:18

Granny42

Thank you so much for this witzend I am gluten intolerant.
Do you think an egg added to the mashed potato would help bind it? Xx

Yes, and it’d add protein, but in fact the potato held together quite well once it was baked.

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 21:14:28

I think I would prefer sliced potatoes and would integrate cooked leeks or onions with them.

MiniMoon Sun 27-Sept-26 22:30:57

Thank you Witzend. My husband was advised not to eat pastry, this potato shell sounds like a good substitute. I'll have to try it.

Redhead56 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:06:03

I have trouble

Redhead56 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:08:47

Don't know what happened there anyway I have trouble with pastry a lot of the time digesting it. This is a recipe I will definitely try it sounds promising thanks.

nanna8 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:58:55

Oh wow, I will definitely try that one. Might substitute leek for eggplant though, not too many leeks around just now. Thank you !

saintpiran Mon 28-Sept-26 09:56:24

Sounds like my sort of dish, I think I will cook the potatoes the previous day and refrigerate, thereby reducing the starch content. A quick tasty meal.

Shel1951 Mon 28-Sept-26 11:38:08

This I am going to cook, thankyou for the recipe

shysal Mon 28-Sept-26 12:53:17

I am not gluten intolerant, but to save calories I make a crustless quiche. Line the tin with baking parchment and add normal fillings of your choice. Bake in oven or air fryer. Similar to a baked frittata.

posset Mon 28-Sept-26 13:46:54

This sounds like a great idea - I've got a bit of a thing about pastry being empty calories, so using potato instead would make a much more nutritious substitute!

HiPpyChick57 Mon 28-Sept-26 16:21:18

I’m a vegetarian with coeliac disease and I’m always looking for tasty new recipes to try. I’ll definitely be making this. Thank you so much for posting.

honeyrose Mon 28-Sept-26 21:47:25

What’s S&P please, Witzend?