I agree that seasonal produce can make such a difference, especially with fruit like strawberries and raspberries when they're actually in season. I also think restaurants can make good use of seasonal ingredients rather than keeping exactly the same options throughout the year. I was recently looking at the First Watch seasonal menu and found it interesting how their seasonal offerings give a bit of variety alongside their regular breakfast and brunch choices. thefirstmenu.com/seasonal/
I had delicious Scottish Diamond strawberries last week from M & S. Still fresh the day following the use by date. Not cheap but at least every one was delicious and edible to the last one.
I think it's just market forces, lots of people here will buy full-price soft fruit. Aldis is probably from abroad, the big expense with soft fruit & cherries is getting them picked,very labour intensive for some. Blackcurrants can be done by machine, we never have blackcurrants for sale round here.
If the fruit is in season the fruit in Aldi is 100% british.
I think it's just market forces, lots of people here will buy full-price soft fruit. Aldis is probably from abroad, the big expense with soft fruit & cherries is getting them picked,very labour intensive for some. Blackcurrants can be done by machine, we never have blackcurrants for sale round here.
I had the most delicious tasting Strawberries in my weekly Sainsbury’s order last week. They were so sweet and reminded me of the fruit we had years ago when everyone was naturally grown. I haven’t had cherries for a few years as they are very expensive.
If you live in an affluent I would guess that your council taxes are higher which would indicate that the price of hiring a pitch in that town is higher than a less affluent town.
I haven't found decent strawberries yet. All look delicious but are sour bullets. Cherries also vary, some are delicious, the last lot very small and nothing was remotely cheap. Unfortunately I have to order online which doesn't help.
There are lots of foods I only buy when they appear at the right time of year. I buy all fruit and veg from our twice weekly market but the prices now are about the same as Waitrose and I have no access to cheaper supermarkets. This year strawberries have not dropped below £4.50 per punnet, raspberries are £3.50 and cherries are £6 per lb. I’ve had one small punnet of raspberries but haven’t tasted a strawberry or cherry. These and in-season vegetables are too expensive for me, I buy most veg frozen. I have heard that this stall’s prices vary according to which town they’re in and our affluent little town gets the highest prices. I’ve also heard that Aldi’s fruit and veg are good and much cheaper.